PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] must resart just to display desktop

rodyon
August 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hi all,
I'm completely new to Ubuntu but so far love everything about it so I need a little help working out a few glitches.
After I first installed 9.04, about 3-4 months ago all worked fine. But over time I would have to hit the restart button or hold power button until off and power on again before the desktop display would come up. At first it just took one restart but now its up to 5 times needing to be restarted.
The motherboard start up and set up screens show up fine and the Ubuntu start up music comes on but nothing but black screen until I reboot 3-5 times.

Thanks for any suggestions

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
synaptic>edit>fix broken packages...see if you get lucky

rodyon
August 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
still the same problem and this morning even the motherboard start up display did not come up until the third try.
Motherboard by the way is Asrock A780 GXE128, I'm using the integrated AMD Radeon 3200 graphics.

jerrrys
August 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
"motherboard start up display"

Are you saying BIOS

rodyon
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Oh yeah, sorry. The BIOS screen that asks if you want to enter set up menu has a fairly elaborate picture as well. It's not just a one second flash of "press f2 for set up".

So even when nothing comes up on the screen at all it will still boot all the way to the Ubuntu music.

jerrrys
August 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM
still the same problem and this morning even the motherboard start up display did not come up until the third try.
Motherboard by the way is Asrock A780 GXE128, I'm using the integrated AMD Radeon 3200 graphics.

if it takes three tries to get BIOS up; this is a problem with the computer and not ubuntu.

rodyon
August 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your time!
I'll look into possible computer issues.