PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

NH2G
August 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have a Compaq Presario M2000 with Ubuntu 9.04 newly installed. Is Ubuntu notebook remix any different? Which is best for my computer?

mikewhatever
August 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Yes, the remix is different. Its interface is optimized for smaller screens of netbooks, and while there is no such thing as 'best', you can just try the remix running live from usb and see for yourself.

snowpine
August 4th, 2009, 02:07 AM
It is "netbook remix" not "notebook remix" and is designed for 7-9" netbooks like the Asus eee pc, Acer Aspire One, and Dell Mini. It is probably not a good choice for your Compaq, but there is no risk running it from a Live USB and forming your own opinion.

Leed
August 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I'm using both on two different machines... as far as I can see there aren't that many big differences (correct me if I'm wrong), all these differences can be changed back to the Ubuntu standard, it's basically Ubuntu configured a little different.

Differences in UNR:
-A Netbook optimized Interface added by default:
* big menu for more overview
* no Desktop(s)
* All windows open full screen with less border than normal
-Different set of pre-installed programs
-Different drivers installed by default

The Netbook optimized Interface saves space on the small screen, helps you find programs faster and is really good for netbooks with Touchscreen. A Netbook should be a small handy thing that can do all important day-to-day tasks (internet, office etc) while on the move, it is not intended to be used as full scale PC. Hard disks are too small, screen is to small, CPU too slow etc.

Still many people want to be able to use these small machines as full pc, that's no problem, you can change the UNR interface to the classic Ubuntu interface with two clicks.

The pre-installed programs feature things like cheese and some other type of packet manager than synaptic (synaptic is also there). There are also some things not installed, like ekiga. All can be changed of course.

I think the driver sets are different, if you have a compatible model, I'd suggest use UNR, even if you just want Classic Ubuntu. On my Netbook I had to install some other Ubuntu repositories to get the correct drivers, it's a new model not yet supported.