PDA

View Full Version : FIrefox:Great because of the add-ons? Are you sure?

braete
August 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I see that the main reason people say that firefox > anything is the add-ons model firefox provides.

out of curiosity how many add-ond you use ?
also, if you use any of the following add-ons, i would like to know the answer to the questions i will ask.
you dont have to answer, but i would like to know what do others think ...

no script
i dont get this one.
i mean yeah, it offers a great feature.
but:
do you realy need a plugin to guard you against getting in the net of a phisher/pharmer(guys who plant fake sites or send fake emails pretending that they are some institution/organization)?
are you so careless that you cant see differences, different links or are you so lazy(sorry!) that you click links at random instead of using a bookmark or type the address to get to the real page?

addblock
i like the noble intent: speedup browsing experience.
but:
dont you think that those who provide you with FREE informations or services on their page should get some revenue out of it?
is your internet connection that slow that it cant handle some extra kb from add-servers?

greasemonkey
now, this is a great add-on. a gui is always cool.
but:
cant the other browsers run java and cuz of this greasemonkey scripts?
what exotic scripts do you use, so amazing that makes an "unusable" page, "usable"?
why do you alter the experience a site strives to create?

downthemall
i really dont see the point of this one.
i mean to download something i just click on a link and voilą.
why do you need a middleman?
is you pc/connection so badly configured that it doesnt allow you to dl with speeds that close to your's connection potential max speed using just a connection ?

this are the only 4 that come to my mind at the moment.
i would like if you ppl share other add-ons and serious reasons to why they are so good

aaa, plz dont provide answers like:
aaa but if sites flood me with adds ... a "serious" site will never do that.
zomg i need to run some script to allow to do a gazilion actions in some random online activity ... that is called skidie, meaning kid's script.

dont get me wrong, i like firefox, it's a great browser. i dont use it anymore, cuz it has become kinda heavy, but great any way.

at the end:
are you sure you use firefox cuz of the add-ons?
are you sure that laziness and/or the "herd instinct" doesnt have anything with this ?

Xzallion
August 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I see that the main reason people say that firefox > anything is the add-ons model firefox provides.

also, if you use any of the following add-ons, i would like to know the answer to the questions i will ask.

no script
i dont get this one.
but:
do you realy need a plugin to guard you against getting in the net of a phisher/pharmer(guys who plant fake sites or send fake emails pretending that they are some institution/organization)?
are you so dumb(excuse me, all of you who find this offensive, but i cant find any other form to put this) that you cant see differences, different links or are you so lazy(again, sorry!) that you click links at random instead of using a bookmark or type the address to get to the real page?

Noscript isn't designed to ward off phishing scams, or pharmers. Its to prevent malicious javascript/flash/etc content from running. Some sites have code that attacks vulnerabilities or just cause some really annoying things. This prevents that, speeds up browsing by avoiding loading unnecassary scripts on pages, etc. Its a power user tool.

addblock
but:
dont you think that those who provide you with FREE informations or services on their page should get some revenue out of it?
is your internet connection that slow that it cant handle some extra kb from add-servers?

It's not always browser speed, but also how annoying are adds? Blinking/annoying ads, or even ones that have loud obnoxious voiceovers or music. This is a tool, you can whitelist sites that you like to let them generate their revenue, and leave the annoying ones blocked. Its use is up to the user.

Personally I use firefox because of its customizability and Its cross platform capabilities. It is familiar and does everything I need it to do. I can theme it, and use walnut as my theme. I use add-ons such as adblock-plus and no script, and used to use one to refresh the page at a set interval so I could see when forum threads updated. I don't use many ad-ons, but I have come across some unsavory stuff in the few years I've been on the net and those two help improve my browsing experience.

koleoptero
August 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Do I actually need a reason to use the browser that came preinstalled with my OS?

lisati
August 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Do I actually need a reason to use the browser that came preinstalled with my OS?

Good question.

My answer: I use the browser that came with Ubuntu (Firefox) because it works. The add-ons are a bonus (I use xmarks)

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Vimperator. If there existed a light browser that was built with this function and adblock I would be set.

chriswyatt
August 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
So, you found 4 plugins which you don't find very useful? Poor argument.

Hobgoblin
August 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM

About a dozen.

SuperSonic4
August 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
no script
i dont get this one.
but:
are you so dumb(excuse me, all of you who find this offensive, but i cant find any other form to put this) that you cant see differences, different links or are you so lazy(again, sorry!) that you click links at random instead of using a bookmark or type the address to get to the real page?

There is more to scripting attacks than fake emails, personally I don't like NoScript because of the amount of whitelisting necessary for normal action. I use FlashBlock (see further down) and Adblock Plus (see below)

addblock
but:

If I were to pay my ISP for a plan which had bandwidth caps why should I pay for the privilege of being able to see an advert using far more bandwidth than text?
Furthermore they are bright and flashing (hurts my eyes) and pop ups (annoying at best, dangerous at work)

greasemonkey
but:
what exotic scripts do you use, so amazing that makes an "unusable" page, "usable"?

I like the idea but I'm too lazy to use it properly

downthemall
is you pc/connection so badly configured that it doesnt allow you to dl with speeds that close to your's connection potential max speed using just a connection ?

Nor me, but then I only really download one thing at a time, or I use wget.

If you're a fan of self-imposed filters I suggest Ubuntu CE. Personally I like to go where I like.

at the end:
are you sure that laziness and/or the "herd instinct" doesnt have anything with this ?

I use firefox because Konqueror does not have the functionality provided by TMP or Flashblock mainly.

Some of mine

Flashblock - Blocks flash until you click it.
---Saves bandwidth and stops multiple videos opening in tab as well as annoying flash ads. Above all it stops hidden flash on websites operating

Tab Mix Plus (TMP) - Pretty Much Anything with tabs
---Lets you do quite a few things with tabs - open in new tab from the address bar/bookmarks/etc, it has tab history and protection and other features.

Colorfultabs - Looks Nice :]
---Well why shouldn't it?

Download Statusbar - Suppresses the Downloads window and puts it on the bottom
---Keeps my downloads tidy and gives more info without a cumbersome second window

Smart Bookmarks Toolbar - Puts all my bookmark icons on the toolbar
---Because they're only icons I can fit many more on, which will open in a new tab thanks to TMP

braete
August 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Noscript isn't designed to ward off phishing scams, or pharmers. Its to prevent malicious javascript/flash/etc content from running. Some sites have code that attacks vulnerabilities or just cause some really annoying things. This prevents that, speeds up browsing by avoiding loading unnecassary scripts on pages, etc. Its a power user tool.
blocking by default java on sites, evil or not, alters the way that site experience is created for the user (ajax for eg).
and yes it is used to prevent phising/pharming as a phisher/pharmer, to replicate the way secure sites acquire data WILL use java. by using noscript it is suposed to break the way the scam works, as no script allows scripts on the real sites (added by you/whitelisted) but not on the fake site.

It's not always browser speed, but also how annoying are adds? Blinking/annoying ads, or even ones that have loud obnoxious voiceovers or music. This is a tool, you can whitelist sites that you like to let them generate their revenue, and leave the annoying ones blocked. Its use is up to the user.
yeah, some are annoying, but on big, serious sites i never encountered that.
and why do you chose to punish a site by blocking revenue, even if you get something from it ? if you think that a site doesnt deserve to get revenue, that means that it's content is bad. why do you need to block adds when you come back to it? why do you come back?

[QUOTE]Do I actually need a reason to use the browser that came preinstalled with my OS?
iExplorer6 ?

MickS
August 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Add-ons I use regularly are:-
1 Answers
2 Colourful tabs
3 Download helper
4 Lazarus
5 NoScript
6 Smiley Extra
And just for curiosity
1 Server spy
2 Ghostery
I could live without them but why when they are available.

Mick

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM

out of curiosity how many add-ond you use ? 14

no script
i dont get this one.
but:
Tsk. That's not what noscript is for. It's a convenient switch to speed browsing and prevent malicious scripts from being even so much as annoying.
Thank you so much for the "dumb". If you can't figure out a better way than being insulting to say something, I recommend silence.

addblock
but:
I use adblock because many of those flashing/rapid motion ads (and there are many many) can cause me seizures.

greasemonkey
but:
I use greasemonkey to tone down bright white backgrounds so I can read the text. I also use it to add features to forums that I like but aren't really relevant to other users - like automatically increasing the size of images.

downthemall
Is convenience not enough of a reason?

i would like if you ppl share other add-ons and serious reasons to why they are so good

zomg i need to run some script to allow to do a gazilion actions in some random online activity ... that is called skidie, meaning kid's script.

dont get me wrong, i like firefox, it's a great browser. i dont use it anymore, cuz it has become kinda heavy, but great any way.

at the end:
...Are you sure this isn't flame-bait? Laziness? Herd instinct? Dumb?

Jackelope
August 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
If you've ever wanted to download youtube vids, firefox is simply the best way with the download helper ad on. And as for adblock, whether you think its right to filter the ads or not, its nice to have an option. Not to mention Firefox Personas, which is just awesome.

moln4r
August 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
When you develop a web site or sites your best friend is the "web developer" add-on...
oh and hello ubuntu forums, this is my first post!:)

braete
August 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
ok this wasnt a flamebait thread.

anyway.
as i said firefox i great.
i have been using for quite some time without geting any "speedbumps"
that was until one of my former classmated asked to help him with his pc as it was slow.
when i got to his house i saw what i was seeing at my pc
a quite clean instal of xp + firefox with 10+addons.
the difference was that his pc had 512mb sdram and a 1,8ghz cpu.
as i promised i will make his pc to run again smoothly i realized that ram usage of 250mb+ for a browser is not that good. for me it was ok, but for him it wasnt. so i googeled a bit and discovered k-meleon, a ligh browser. and i installed it. it run fast, it loaded fast, everything was ok.i did some more superficial cleaning and left.
now the thing that ticked me.
i remembered about the add-ons when i got home. next monday i wanted to ask him about them but he had forgotten about them. then it hit me.
wtf he had most of the addons i had and didnt cared about them.
i used google some more and found opera.
iwe runned it on xp, now running on ubuntu.
i never instaled ff again on my pc and i am happy with that.

now for those with decent pc, the browser you chose doesnt have much of an impact on the performance, so it's left there (see why ie6, is so whidly used) but for those with some older hardware, it mathers.

now, back on the "rant"
are you sure the curent firefox is great cuz of it's addons?
isnt because firefox is praised(yes, it partly deserves it) and you say, damn every one has it, i need to have it to.
or as a previous poster said, do i need to question the default browser?

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
ok this wasnt a flamebait thread.

anyway.
as i said firefox i great.
i have been using for quite some time without geting any "speedbumps"
that was until one of my former classmated asked to help him with his pc as it was slow.
when i got to his house i saw what i was seeing at my pc
a quite clean instal of xp + firefox with 10+addons.
the difference was that his pc had 512mb sdram and a 1,8ghz cpu.
as i promised i will make his pc to run again smoothly i realized that ram usage of 250mb+ for a browser is not that good. for me it was ok, but for him it wasnt. so i googeled a bit and discovered k-meleon, a ligh browser. and i installed it. it run fast, it loaded fast, everything was ok.i did some more superficial cleaning and left.
now the thing that ticked me.
i remembered about the add-ons when i got home. next monday i wanted to ask him about them but he had forgotten about them. then it hit me.
wtf he had most of the addons i had and didnt cared about them.
i used google some more and found opera.
iwe runned it on xp, now running on ubuntu.
i never instaled ff again on my pc and i am happy with that.

now for those with decent pc, the browser you chose doesnt have much of an impact on the performance, so it's left there (see why ie6, is so whidly used) but for those with some older hardware, it mathers.Oh, here's a thought: It's subjective.

Your single data point means almost nothing.

now, back on the "rant"
are you sure the curent firefox is great cuz of it's addons?
yes.

isnt because firefox is praised(yes, it partly deserves it) and And if it's because it's praised, so what?

you say, damn every one has it, i need to have it to.
Or, one tried it because of the praise, and found one liked it. Why are you trying to suggest unthinking/herd behavior when you don't have the slightest bit of evidence to back the idea?

or as a previous poster said, do i need to question the default browser?Why question people's choice in browsers in the first place?

There are quite a few browsers in use by users of Linux OSs, many people use more than one, choosing a particular browser to suit a particular need.

Because these choices are nearly pure subjective choice, there is no straight up easy answer as to "why" anyone uses a particular browser. Get over it.

braete
August 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
the thread it's called FIrefox:Great because of the add-ons? Are you sure? (darn i made a typo)
i am not questioning the choice ppl make when they chose a browser.
i am questioning the reason

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
the thread it's called FIrefox:Great because of the add-ons? Are you sure? (darn i made a typo)
i am not questioning the choice ppl make when they chose a browser.
i am questioning the reason
How is questioning the reason for their choice significantly different from questioning the choice itself?

BeBoBli
August 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
You've caught me! I only use what's popular. Hence why I'm using Ubuntu.

braete
August 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
How is questioning the reason for their choice significantly different from questioning the choice itself?
because saying you use firefox cuz of the addons is different from saying i use firefox cuz it was installed by default on my os

magmon
August 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I use it because I like it. In fact, I use all of the mozilla stuff except for seamonkey. I don't use it on windows though, it likes to forget how to load pages pretty often on vista.

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
because saying you use firefox cuz of the addons is different from saying i use firefox cuz it was installed by default on my os
Where true that those are different reasons, what you're asking if people are really aware of their reasons for their choice, which really is equivalent to questioning the choice itself. If the motives are different, the choice will be different.

I'm sorry, but this all seems very nonsensical. This is how I see your question:

"Did you choose FF for the add-ons?"

"Yes"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes"

"It's not because of a herd mentality?"

"Uh. I'm quite sure."

"It's not because you just heard FF was good?"

"What part of my answers are you not understanding!?"

See?

Your interpretation of your single data-point seems off. If I may suggest: Your acquaintance did not fail to care about his now missing add-ons not because he was never really interested in them in the first place, but because the vastly superior speed and stability of his browsing experience outweighed his care for those add-ons.

In short, all that happened was you introduced new information that caused him to change his mind/change his priorities. A good thing, to be sure. But don't read more into it that the data supports.

Mateo
August 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Browser plugins are so 2004.

Keyper7
August 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Browser plugins are so 2004.

Good thing this thread is about extensions, not plugins, then.

braete
August 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
ooookkkkk, the 1st part was ...

i didnt say "yo, you are dumb cuz you use firefox"
i said that only regarding an the usage of an addon. (and i should have used careless but it didnt hit me at the time)

i just asked:
how many addons do you use, witch one and why. also i didnt say ppl "answer! or i kill ya"

i hate "standard model" if i may say this.
and the standard info you get about ff is "firefox is great cuz of it's addons" hence i hate that and question it.

Mr. Picklesworth
August 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
You missed three that would have changed your opinion here, OP: Feedly, Weave and Tree-style tabs.

Having said that, I prefer Epiphany >2.27, or Chromium as a web browser thanks to speed, desktop integration and focus. (Yep, Chromium, brand new on the scene, has better integration - eg: opening downloaded files from the browser with the right program - than Firefox has managed in the last few years).
When Feedly develops support for other browsers I will be quite happy. As is, I'm pretty much tethered, half willing, to Firefox :)

Keyper7
August 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
The original poster is essentially asking if he is a conscious human in a world of sheep (http://www.xkcd.com/610/).

The answer is no.

braete
August 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
You missed three that would have changed your opinion here, OP: Feedly, Weave and Tree-style tabs.

Having said that, I prefer Epiphany >2.27, or Chromium as a web browser thanks to speed, desktop integration and focus. (Yep, Chromium, brand new on the scene, has better integration - eg: opening downloaded files from the browser with the right program - than Firefox has managed in the last few years).
When Feedly develops support for other browsers I will be quite happy. As is, I'm pretty much tethered, half willing, to Firefox :)

never tryed them, but on the 1st look feedly looks intresting, but i dont like the forget about the site, just browse form the start window,
weave, i can do that but without encription.
tree style tabs on the other hand look amazing, i will try them.

about chronium. yes, that is amazing. i tryed it, i still have it installed but i dont use it, it's not ready.
when i saw it 1st i was like wtf. i installed it, then run it. a window appeared (about setting default browser) i hit no and bam. instantly the whole window appeared(the start page) instantly appeared. yeah it was empty so it didnt had to load anything, but damn that was instant.
in opera even with speed dial empty i can sense a brief moment of w8ing, but there was instant

@keyper7
damn epic man 5*

Tibuda
August 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
If you've ever wanted to download youtube vids, firefox is simply the best way with the download helper ad on.

I prefer to copy the file using Nautilus.

Chronon
August 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM
no script
i dont get this one.
but:

I don't think you have really understood what the plugin does. It has nothing to do with preventing you from clicking certain links or replying to emails (no idea how you got that impression). It controls which domains you allow to execute scripts, such as flash or javascript. Besides cutting down on the browser's susceptibility to malicious scripts, it also eliminates annoying flash ads that blare annoying sounds and flashing lights at you. Perhaps you should hold back on attacking people's intellect when you don't understand that which you are criticizing.

addblock
but:

No. I don't agree. Do you agree that if you have a television that you have to sit and patiently watch commercials when they come on? Do you have a right to turn the TV off or change channels during the commercial? You can easily whitelist sites that you wish to support via ad revenue. I do this with Jamendo, for instance.

greasemonkey
but:

Some scripts simply add some functionality that users of a site think is helpful. I have a greasemonkey script for a forum that I frequent that improves the behavior of the mouse-over text for the topic links. Since you think customizing the user experience is bad, are you also against desktop themes?

downthemall

I think you don't have a very broad internet experience. You do realize that not all media can be saved by right clicking, right?

at the end:

It seems you don't want to customize anything about your user experience. That's totally fine but many of us see opportunities to enhance the way that we interact with our browser (and PC as a whole). I also use FoxyProxy to quickly allow me to switch between TOR and not. I also like BugMeNot for browsing news sites and such without needing an account.

ninjapirate89
August 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I don't like to feed the troll but here goes anyway: Firefox is simply the best browser for most peoples needs regardless of whether or not they use extensions. The extensions are simply a bonus. Even if it did not have them I would wager that most people would still use it. If you don't feel that it is what works best for you, fine, don't use it, nobody is stopping you from using another browser.

Some extensions I am unable to live without:
-StumbleUpon - Great way to spend some free time.
-DeliciousToolbar - Bookmarking service
-Greasemonkey - Makes many websites more functional.
-HideMenuBar - Saves screenspace.
-DownloadStatusbar - Fixes the only thing I don't like about FF.
-User Switch Agent - Used to make websites think I am using alternate browser or OS. Very useful in linux as some sites only work in IE or with a Microsoft OS.
-Adblock - Nobody likes ads, even if the site offers a free service.

braete
August 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think you have really understood what the plugin does. It has nothing to do with preventing you from clicking certain links or replying to emails (no idea how you got that impression). It controls which domains you allow to execute scripts, such as flash or javascript. Besides cutting down on the browser's susceptibility to malicious scripts, it also eliminates annoying flash ads that blare annoying sounds and flashing lights at you. Perhaps you should hold back on attacking people's intellect when you don't understand that which you are criticizing.

no i think you didnt understand was i was trying to imply
it doesnt prevent you from doing that, but it does help you, in case you did click by blocking the fake site from running the script that allows the scamer to get your user/pass/other info and store it on his storage place.
corect me if i am wrong but this is the reason why this plugin got an award in 2006

No. I don't agree. Do you agree that if you have a television that you have to sit and patiently watch commercials when they come on? Do you have a right to turn the TV off or change channels during the commercial? You can easily whitelist sites that you wish to support via ad revenue. I do this with Jamendo, for instance.
internet is not tv

Some scripts simply add some functionality that users of a site think is helpful. I have a greasemonkey script for a forum that I frequent that improves the behavior of the mouse-over text for the topic links. Since you think customizing the user experience is bad, are you also against desktop themes?
i did say greasemonkey is great.
and it runs java. and any browser can run java. i dont need grease monkey to run autopager(for forums hehe)
who said anything about destop themes?

I think you don't have a very broad internet experience. You do realize that not all media can be saved by right clicking, right?
i didnt even say right click
it's the way to say it. i dont need an extension to dl a youtube flash.

It seems you don't want to customize anything about your user experience. That's totally fine but many of us see opportunities to enhance the way that we interact with our browser (and PC as a whole). I also use FoxyProxy to quickly allow me to switch between TOR and not. I also like BugMeNot for browsing news sites and such without needing an account.
i do like customization.
look at the attachment to see how i customized my browser window to maximize browse area for my small 15" laptop

aysiu
August 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
If you want honest answers and not back-and-forth flaming, read this thread:
How many extensions do you have installed on Firefox? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=860858)

braete
August 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
If you want honest answers and not back-and-forth flaming, read this thread:
How many extensions do you have installed on Firefox? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=860858)

thanks, i did a search b4 creating a thread and i didnt find any.
hehe, i also wanted to add a pool but then i thought that i shouldnt.

cariboo
August 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Whatever browser you are using, enable and use the spell checker, and proof read it before hitting the submit button

Chronon
August 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
NoScript does prevent malicious scripts from running, but it doesn't prevent, for instance, a phisher from crafting a URL to look exactly like a trusted one, nor does it prevent someone from entering info into an HTML form once they get to the referred page.

Frankly, this is not the reason that I use this plugin. It certainly plays absolutely no role in dealing with email scammers -- which I don't have to deal with thanks to good SPAM detection by my account provider.

You say that the internet is not TV. Is there some difference you wish to actually point out that removes my right to choose to view advertising or not? As I said, I do choose to support sites of my choosing in this way.

The existence of an alternate method of doing something does not exclude the usefulness of the first method. Can you explain a more convenient way to enable/disable TOR than a browser add-on?

With regards to desktop customization, I find it a bit incongruous that you create a topic to argue against the idea that other people find add-ons useful (basically attacking other people's motives for changing the behavior of their browser) with your endorsement of desktop customization. What makes one suitable for customization and not the other? Is this just a case of you wanting to argue with other people and tell them that their preferences are simply wrong?

braete
August 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Whatever browser you are using, enable and use the spell checker, and proof read it before hitting the submit button

i have spell checker but i usually ignore it. yeah, bad habit, but i cant get rid of it O_o

@chronon
most if not all institution sites worth phishing for private info use java to enhace browser experience.
you already whitelisted in noscript that domain/site for ur personal use.
now if you are fooled into accessing that site noscript will block any script that the scamer used to copy the way the original works. so the user has a definitive indication that that site is not the real one.
this is the example i used

i didnt say you are not allowed to remove ads.
i said "dont you think that those who provide you with FREE informations or services on their page should get some revenue out of it?"
it's to one's decision. but, is it ok to cut part of the revenue one has while still using what he provides?

what is TOR?

i didnt bring desktop customization into this thread. i responded with the way i customized my browser window and compiz to hide certain elements to enhance my browsing on a small screen.
i never argued about others way of customizing.

this isnt a tread to say ff is bad or that addons make it bad or that those who dont use addons are better than those who use(as MOST understood)

why is the answer to the question: WHY IS FIREFOX GREAT? is in most cases: duh! cuz of addons.

lvleph
August 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Autohide Statusbar
GreaseMonkey
Addblock Plus
Custom Buttons
Download Status Bar
FaviconizeTabs
Fission
Menu Editor
Smart Bookmarks Bar
Stop or Reload Button
Stumble Upon
Stylish
Tiny Menu
Toolbar Enhancements
TwitterFox
UserAgent Switcher

Can you see why I keep using FF. I actually keep looking for a new browser but...

aysiu
August 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
You're still not getting it.

NoScript is not an anti-phishing tool.

Read more here about what it actually does:
http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_10

init1
August 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Eh, I really can't stand ads. I don't care if it hurts the site's revenue.

aysiu
August 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Eh, I really can't stand ads. I don't care if it hurts the site's revenue.
I don't mind static image ads or text-based ads, but I can't stand the Flash ads (especially if they're Flash pop-up ads), so it's a good thing I use the NoScript extension.

ninjapirate89
August 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM
why is the answer to the question: WHY IS FIREFOX GREAT? is in most cases: duh! cuz of addons.

*facepalm* Of course firefox is great because of add-ons, they are the main thing that separates it from other web browsers. You seem surprised this would be the main reason most people like it. There are other benefits of firefox though. Take a look at http://www.getfirefox.com if you need a few.

braete
August 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
You're still not getting it.

NoScript is not an anti-phishing tool.

Read more here about what it actually does:
http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_10

i never said that it is.
the example i used was to illustrate a case where noscript acts to protect you in the case where you get fooled into accessing a fake site.

aysiu
August 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM
i never said that it is.
the example i used was to illustrate a case where noscript acts to protect you in the case where you get fooled into accessing a fake site. Actually, you did say that. You said it in the first post. I've highlighted it in blue for you.

no script
i dont get this one.
but:
are you so careless that you cant see differences, different links or are you so lazy(sorry!) that you click links at random instead of using a bookmark or type the address to get to the real page?

Chronon
August 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I would call that a straw man argument.

I also think that the whole premise of this thread -- calling out users and attacking their rationale for preferring a given browser -- seems like an example of trolling:

"Trolling is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water. ..."

braete
August 4th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Actually, you did say that. You said it in the first post. I've highlighted it in blue for you.

so judging by the fact that for noscript i only used initialy only the antiscam usage (in my second post in this thread i also said "blocking by default java on sites, evil or not, alters the way that site experience is created for the user (ajax for eg)")we should limit grease monkey just to basic java(not all scripts that run in ff + greasemonkey, run also in other browsers(Fix document.addEventListener for eg works in ff+greasemonkey but not in other browsers)?

starcannon
August 4th, 2009, 02:59 AM
adblock; because I don't like ads taking up 2/3's of my screen.
Downthemall; just makes grabbing content easier.
NoScript; I like to decide.
TorButton; I like to hide.
Zotero; makes writing research papers almost easy.
Moonlight; don't really know, I never run across the horrid pages that use silverlight anyway.
StumbleUpon; its just fun.
FireFTP; its a really great ftp client.
ChatZilla; I don't use it much, but when I do, I'm happy I have it.
Greasemonkey

I use these addons to manipulate the data coming across MY network. I do not think it wrong, evil, or any other negative term for me to choose what to do with data that is on my network. I wonder, is it also considered rude to not look at a billboard as one drives down the highway?

ninjapirate89
August 4th, 2009, 03:01 AM
so judging by the fact that for noscript i only used initialy only the antiscam usage (in my second post in this thread i also said "blocking by default java on sites, evil or not, alters the way that site experience is created for the user (ajax for eg)")we should limit grease monkey just to basic java(not all scripts that run in ff + greasemonkey, run also in other browsers(Fix document.addEventListener for eg works in ff+greasemonkey but not in other browsers)?

Huh?

braete
August 4th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Huh?

in the 1st post I wrote about noscript's ability to protect you from scams.
aysiu pointed that and said that i didnt understand that noscript is more.
i replied with a quote from a later post where i pointed another flaw(from my perspective)
then i added the fact that greasemonkey can run java scripts, that can be run by other browsers, but that doesnt mean that basic java is all that greasemonkey does. it can also un advanced java libraries that arent implemented in other browsers(and i gave an example of a call)

CJ Master
August 4th, 2009, 04:26 AM
in the 1st post I wrote about noscript's ability to protect you from scams.
aysiu pointed that and said that i didnt understand that noscript is more.
i replied with a quote from a later post where i pointed another flaw(from my perspective)
then i added the fact that greasemonkey can run java scripts, that can be run by other browsers, but that doesnt mean that basic java is all that greasemonkey does. it can also un advanced java libraries that arent implemented in other browsers(and i gave an example of a call)

You might not have to make explanation posts if you write in a way that's actually readable, sorry to say.

Find a site that doesn't work quite right with noscipt on? Do you trust it? Then WHITELIST it! I'm not sure how that's so difficult? I don't like sites that I don't trust running any script they please without my permission.

coldReactive
August 4th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I find NoScript and Greasemonkey useful, even when on linux. I can block pesky ads like Google Adsense. I never click them anyway, so why have them around if they won't generate income for the sites I visit?

I don't use adblock because DeviantART is incompatible with it.

Download/Install Greasemonkey then install this script (http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/User:Phlip/Greasemonkey) and watch Homestarrunner.com from now on.

Opera is too bulky for me (and won't let me turn off cache), and chrome I just don't really like. Safari can stuff it with loading old content when I revisit a page. I also can't Slipstream my navigation/location/quick search (http://coldreactive.deviantart.com/art/Firefox-Slipstreamed-132038000) in other browsers.

That's why I stay with Firefox.

Viva
August 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I use it because I am a firefox fanboi.

Giant Speck
August 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I use Firefox because Chromium doesn't have Java support yet and looks like crap with my GTK theme.

stwschool
August 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
NoScript: Personally I don't use it but it's good for the paranoid, and it does seem that scripting is the big cross-platform vulnerability along with flash.
Adblock: It's useful, in that it reduces the amount of corporations tracking my moves, and also at school helps to keep the less savoury adverts from appearing when I take kids into the murky waters of the internet.
Greasemonkey: Never used it, so no idea.
Downthemall: It's useful when you need to have a few big downloads on the go. I find the extra features are worth having. Resuming works more reliably than in raw firefox, and it saves me time.

Ones I use:
Downloadhelper: Really handy for getting stuff from Youtube et al.
Tree Style Tabs: On a wide-screen monitor, tabs on the sidebar are so much more convenient, and the tree structure makes my browsing more organised. It's as integral to my workflow as multiple desktops.

I have Midori, Chromium and Opera 10 beta on here, but I use Firefox because it's comfy, everything always works, and the 'awesomebar' is awesome. I wish it was faster, and have used the Swiftfox instead to speed it up, but overall I'm happy.

Dragonbite
August 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My Add-Ons:

Adblock Plus - which I turn off on sites I knwo needs those ads but are not too annoying, like Pandora
FireFTP - haven't really used it yet
Open IT Online - to open a .doc, .xls, .ppt and more using online apps like Google Apps
Rehost Image - to make it easy to grab an image and have it added to my ImageShack account (for easy adding to blogs and forums as well as accessible online storage)
ScribeFire - it's a great blogging tool and I like how it allows me to navigate to a page in one 1/2 page pane wtih the blog dialog open so I can easily highlight/drag and copy it into the blog.
Server Spy - because I like seeing what people are using for servers
Uppity - so instead of manually moving up the directory tree of a site by deleting each piece one-at-a-time, use this button instead
Web Developer - I haven't used it much yet, but it looks like a pretty cool tool.

And then, I also use
Classic Compact theme, so the buttons and stuff along the top takes up half the height the default theme does.

Whenever I use a KDE system (with Konquerer) I still install Firefox because outside of IE, Firefox is the #2 supported browser and is growing so while other browsers may have issues displaying things correctly, I've had good luck with Firefox.

K.Mandla
August 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Personally I don't think Firefox is that "great" to start with, extensions or not. Aside from that I will only say that there are options.

braete
August 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
firefox is great cuz it runs everything related to java. basically if its java ff will run it as it should
other browsers dont do that (from my personal experience)
for example, i see differences between the browsers with certain content (joomla mostly)

harry2006
August 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
i like firefox as this is the best open source browser and next one i like usign is opera...firefox is good as you get almost any addon/plugin you might think of using...its available off-the-shelf....
btw i use the following addons and they are quite good in doing their job:
vimperator [ i love vi ]
xmarks
tabmixplus
firebug
ubiquity [ i cant live without this addon]
peers search plugin

and many many...

Skripka
August 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Add-ons=PITA.

All that great extended functionality, pretty much breaks every time a new version comes out. Not actually "broken" mind you, simply the version # limiter kicks in, even if it would otherwise work fine. The what do you do? Wait sometimes weeks or months for an author to patch their extension...or go in and edit config files by hand, just so you have all that wonderful functionality back again?

What a PITA.

I haven't even started ranting about bloat, and poor coding in extensions.

Johnsie
August 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Firefox is bloatware. When I can I choose to run Chrome. It seems to be more efficient. The add-ons for FF are good, but I only use them sometimes, so speed of loading pages and performance is more important to me than add-ons.

Keyper7
August 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
firefox is great cuz it runs everything related to java. basically if its java ff will run it as it should
for example, i see differences between the browsers with certain content (joomla mostly)

Are you talking about Java or Javascript?

CJ Master
August 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Java runs the same in all browsers (or at least should.) It uses a program on your computer to run Java applets, not the browser itself.

chris4585
August 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
The funny thing is I don't even care about the addons. Its a waste of my time. I use Firefox because its familiar, I like how it acts, and I like the customization.

Dragonbite
August 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That it is cross-platform is a plus.

When I was moving my wife from Windows to Linux, I had her running some of the applications she was going to be running on Linux in Windows (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.)

braete
August 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Java runs the same in all browsers (or at least should.) It uses a program on your computer to run Java applets, not the browser itself.

java doesnt run the same on all browsers
opera for example has some minor problems when using advanced java libraries while ff doesnt

lvleph
August 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, I decided to try chrome again. I must say they have done a lot of work. There is support for extensions and user scripts now. I actually have greas monkey and adsweep working. They have also added the pin tab function which is similar to faviconize. No smart bookmarks, but I figured out a workaround (at least to make them smaller) just get rid of the bookmark name. I even have flash working. It looks like I am actually ditching FF for now.

hessiess
August 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
no script
i dont get this one.
but:

addblock
but:

NoScript and Adblock are both absolutely essential to me, Flash is frequently (mis)used for making large, anoying, fast moving animated adverts. Personally I find it next to imposable to read a page containing these as my eye is constantly drawn to the animation. Adblock plus and flash block fix this problem by getting rid of all of the annoying moving content.

The other essential add on for me is Vimperator, I have a mouse-related RSI, meaning that I cannot use a mouse for long without making my fingers heart. It does not cause a problem with keyboard use, so anything that can remove the mouse as a nesasessaty for using a computer is extremely useful.

x33a
August 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
addons are a real plus point of using firefox.

i use noscript, adblockplus, brief, download helper, download statusbar, vimperator, etc. and they have made my browsing experience great.

Vimperator. If there existed a light browser that was built with this function and adblock I would be set.

you can check out conkeror, it supports adblock plus too, and is based on xulrunner. it used to be an extension for firefox, but now is a full featured browser.

see here:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10387

NoReflex
August 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I believe there are lots of very useful add-ons for Firefox.
My two favorites are Firebug and Tamper Data.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

madnessjack
August 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I need Firefox add-ons to develop websites. Okay need is a bit strong but it makes my life easy.

wojox
August 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I only use LoL. It gives me the ability to surf the web from my keyboard. Now I don't even have to touch the mouse between that and all my keyboard shortcuts.

coldReactive
August 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I need Firefox add-ons to develop websites. Okay need is a bit strong but it makes my life easy.

Colorzilla has issues in Ubuntu if I recall.

madnessjack
August 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cheers for the heads up! That shot was taken while I was at work on XP, so I wasn't aware of that.

Tibuda
August 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
It works for me.

snek
August 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
AdBlock Plus
I allow the sites which I deem worthy of making money off ads

Delicious Bookmarks
I use about 6 different computers, having one place for my bookmarks is just logical

DownThemAll
Saves me 1 click per download, that's about 20-30 clicks per day..

Firebug
I'm a webdeveloper, can't live without it

HTML Validator
See above

Page Speed
See above

SenSEO
See above

Web Developer
See above

No other browser can give me the functionality I desire being a webdeveloper. It's a pretty obvious decision to use Firefox then, including all my colleagues, none of the other browsers are even taken seriously.

mihai.ile
August 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I don't pay much attention to extensions but when I need to get a job done as a web developper, as the post above says there are some great and very powerful extensions (namely firebug and tamper data) to help inspect the code.

As a regular user I like:
download status bar
screen grab (just great)
stylish (to manually remove some anoying banners and such)

Could I live without them? some yes but some are just too useful to leave them behind.

I could say that for now
Firefox+extensions = to users what
Windows+games = to gamers (even if we start so see more and more consoles but that's another story)

coldReactive
August 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
It works for me.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2n23e9u.png

I usually only use colorzilla for the eyedropper.

BuffaloX
August 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Personally I would probably still use Firefox even without the add-ons.
But your attempt to show that some or most or even all add-ons are unnecessary is downright silly.

Mentioning 4 out of thousands add-ons will never come close to a valid argument, you might as well have avoided those 4, and instead focused on the general principle of add-ons.

The add-ons serve a vital purpose, giving extreme functionality to both advanced and general users without Firefox becoming massively bloated.

I use only a few, but they increase the usability of Firefox tremendously for me, for example I hate Flash, but sometimes I really really want to use a site that have it anyway. Flashblocker is to me the ideal compromise.

Actually it's quite alright to use Firefox because of laziness.
Firefox is a very good browser.
Totally unlike using IE because of laziness.

donniezazen
August 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Since the release of Chrome i have started hating everything about firefox.

tom66
August 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Firebug
Great for web development.

Private Browsing
Hides surfing trails. Comes with Firefox 3.5 standard (but not as an addon).

Adblock Plus
I don't buy stuff as a result of internet ads, ever. Also, I have a slow connection.

Novell Moonlight
Works OK but only with Silverlight 1.0. I am waiting for 2.0.

Ubuntu Firefox Modifications
Pre-installed.

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'm currently using 43 extensions. Before someone asks, the performance hit is about 30% compared to a clean profile. Additionally, I don't keep extensions I don't use. I usually disable them and from time to time I remove those I don't miss.

Here (http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?p=36) is my list of currently active extensions:

I believe I don't have to make any comments about the thread question, considering the number of extensions I use and considering that I'm an extension developer (not very good, but I'm getting better ;)).

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm currently using 43 extensions. Before someone asks, the performance hit is about 30% compared to a clean profile. Additionally, I don't keep extensions I don't use. I usually disable them and from time to time I remove those I don't miss.

Here is my list of currently active extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collection/lovinglinux_collection

I believe I don't have to make any comments about the thread question, considering the number of extensions I use and considering that I'm an extension developer (not very good, but I'm getting better ;)).
Lol, now the 12 extensions I have don't seem like a whole lot any more.

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Lol, now the 12 extensions I have don't seem like a whole lot any more.

I would have a lot more if I didn't police myself to keep the number low. I guess I'm addicted :)

BTW, I have just installed the 44th: the Add-on Collector :)

texpat
August 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Adblock is - for me - the single best reason to be using Firefox. Ads have become so intrusive and obnoxious they're unbareable.

My 2cts

Tex

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I would have a lot more if I didn't police myself to keep the number low. I guess I'm addicted :)

BTW, I have just installed the 44th: the Add-on Collector :)
haha, you made me snort (I am a bit bleary eyed though), anyway, yep, you sir need Add-on Collector, I don't honestly know how you've made it this far without it :)

Whats some of the add-ons you've made? Would be kinda fun to try one out, even if I don't end up keeping it.

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
haha, you made me snort (I am a bit bleary eyed though), anyway, yep, you sir need Add-on Collector, I don't honestly know how you've made it this far without it :)

Hahahaha. I use FEBE to backup my profile and TagSifter to organize my bookmarks. I keep a bookmark of all extensions I use and some old too :)

Whats some of the add-ons you've made? Would be kinda fun to try one out, even if I don't end up keeping it.

I have made only two:

FoxMediaCenter (http://fmc.isgreat.org/) - is a lightweight media center extension for Firefox Linux. It is basically an EPG (Electronic Programming Guide) with xmltv support, an integrated PVR, Playlist Manager, Programme Filters, Statistics and more.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9291/foxmediacenter302002.th.png (http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9291/foxmediacenter302002.png)

UMarks (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13153/) - create, delete, backup and restore lists of installed/deinstalled Ubuntu packages and search for installed packages on allmyapps.com, appnr.com, getdeb.net, packages.ubuntu.com, launchpad.net, linuxappfinder.com and Google.

They are both Linux exclusive.

Some feedback would be great, specially about FoxMediaCenter, because I don't get many, even with more than 3800 downloads :cry:

sertse
August 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I don't want to make a new thread about it, but is JavaScript such a big bad bogeyman? Is Noscript such an absolutely "essential" tool? Noscript touts itself as an security addon, and is one of the things I immediately install on Firefox, but its come to a stage where I'm slightly afraid of every other browser cause they don't have it.

There's at least a slightly bit of FUD done by Noscript's part I think? Javascript "should" be fine except for some odd/rare situation right? I'm just thinking that if it's really as big an issue, that no other browser has it (and even firefox doesn't have it by default), and the only protection comes from an add on..

hanzomon4
August 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I don't use addons... well I do use cooliris, I think it's become just a fact of life the browser is very much like a DE or OS

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't want to make a new thread about it, but is JavaScript such a big bad bogeyman? Is Noscript such an absolutely "essential" tool? Noscript touts itself as an security addon, and is one of the things I immediately install on Firefox, but its come to a stage where I'm slightly afraid of every other browser cause they don't have it.

There's at least a slightly bit of FUD done by Noscript's part I think? Javascript "should" be fine except for some odd/rare situation right? I'm just thinking that if it's really as big an issue, that no other browser has it (and even firefox doesn't have it by default), and the only protection comes from an add on..

Well, I have disabled NoScript other day to post on a blog that wasn't accepting just the whitelist and forgot to turn it on again. Then I did something very stupid. I clicked on a very suspicious e-mail just to see what kind of crap they were sending to me. As soon as the page loaded, it tried to install something. I've got a java alert and canceled the operation immediately, deleted my Firefox profile and restored a profile backup. Then I booted a Windows 7 RC VM and visited the site with IE and accepted the java alert. It was immediately infected with something that disabled the Windows 7 UAC and asked for reboot. I stopped there and restore the VM snapshot. I still have the site link, because I couldn't scan it with online anti-virus. I will try again some day.

It's probably a Windows malware, but it's scary. I don't surf without NoScript anymore.

YeOK
August 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
As a long time Opera user, I have actually just switched to Firefox for one of its plug-ins, Foxyproxy!

As to Firefox as a browser, I hate it. Its slow at loading pages, you have to use noscript just to cut down on the load times of some sites, its fails to load pages after a while too, and needs restarting at least 6 times a day.

I miss Opera, a lot! Its lack of Socks 5 support is a killer for me though, I want to tunnel! Hell, even my IRC client and pidgin let me use a tunnel.

Anyway, Chrome's Socks 5 support and ignore lists are working. It will probably become my browser of choice. If Opera ever bother to add better proxy support however, I'd go back in a flash.

Superkoop
August 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, Firefox is great because of the add-ons.
ABP & Element hiding Helper: There are way too many flashing ads and noisy ads, and just plain obnoxious ads. I use Facebook often, and the ads about dating random people get on my nerves. Also, at home I have a slow Internet connection and ads do make the pages load A LOT slower. At school I have a bandwidth cap, and I would rather not waste it on ads.

DTA: Because I need a download MANAGER not a simple listing of my downloads, what comes with Fx is fine for single files, but not for multiple files at one time. It's convenient.

Extended Status Bar: So I get what I want from Opera, without using Opera.

FEBE: There are a lot of preferences and add-ons that need backing up, this does it for me, including all of my saved passwords.

FlashGot: Just plain useful.

Google Preview: without this add-on I don't even like using google.

Greesemonkey/Stylish: Because I'm not always satisfied with the way people make their websites.

TabScope: Helps me find what I'm looking for in my tabs.

UserAgent Switcher: needed on some websites.

Yahoo! Mail notifier: So I never have to check my yahoo for mail unless there's something there.

I have more, but I only use them from time to time. The ones I listed are necessary for using Firefox, not just wanted, but necessary for me to browse the internet as I wish to. Perhaps you don't find them useful, but I do. If someone finds them useful, they are useful. Without them, I wouldn't Fx.

shafin
August 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I use 29 addons, have about 50 installed.
I'll just write about two:
Ghostery: (http://www.ghostery.com/)

Ghostery alerts you about the web bugs, ad networks and widgets on every page on the web.
Web bugs are hidden scripts that track your behavior and are used by the sites you visit to understand their own audience.

I am paranoid. Why wont I be?

Stylish: (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108)
I like to control how web sites look to me. With stylish, I can change their look immediately and make even the ugliest one's beautiful. I dont know any other browser that lets me do this.