PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update problem Linux-generic kernl problem

ShiroKitsune
August 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Okay i didn't really know if this was the right place to post this (a bit new the the forums) but if its not let me know so i can move it. Thank you =]

Okay after i did Updates i found a small problem I couldn't run my VirtualBox anymore and when I tried to l watch a video my video programs would crach and close or just lockup but they mostly crash. So i thought it was some thing i did wrong with the vidoe drives a Vbox, so i reinstalled Ubuntu to see if i could fix the problem but after the reinstall i did updates once again and i still got the Vbox error and my vidoe programs would still crash so then i thought it was a Gstreamer problem so i reinstalled all my gstreamer plugin and sill got the crashing movie programs, so i kind of gave up on watching movies. Now for Vbox, after doing updates i would get a Vbox error saying it could not find my Linux kernl type.

After reinstalling Ubuntu once more i tried to watch a movie and it worked just fine and when i tried using Vbox it worked fine as well, Okay i don't really know if theres some thing wrong with the new Linux kernl so i did some tests to see, I installed all updates but the Linux-generic(generic linux kernel version 2.6.28.14.19:)
and all the other updates worked just fine. Now i don't know if its a clash of some of the updates with the new kernel

Okay time for some foot notes: I have an intel I386 chipset and for the video programs, i have used VLC, Gnome Mplayer, Mplayer standalone, default movie player for Ubuntu and XBMC all of witch crash :lolflag:

running_rabbit07
August 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM
You should file a bug report. Before doing so search to see if this one already made the list.

In the furture, if you suspect a kernal upgrade causing a problem you can revert to the previous kernal by running startupmanager (in Synaptic package manager) and select to boot from the previous kernal.

ShiroKitsune
August 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info =]