PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updated 9.04 kernel, now laptop locks up on startup

qwerty1105
August 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
in training...

I installed fresh dual boot (8.10 & XP) on my laptop (OLD Toshiba Satellite). I ran that for a while, then upgraded to Jaunty. Everything works fine. I then ran various updates and updated the kernel. Now in grub I have four kernel options at startup. The only one that boots is 2.6.27-14. Latest update is 2.6.28-15, which doesn't boot. It locks up on "pci 0000:00:1e.0 prefetch window", etc... All the kernels that I have tried do the same, except for the original kernel. I have a PC Card Wireless adaptor and a usb mouse. I physically removed them and tried to boot without, to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

mprince
August 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'd recommend you edit your grub menu so that it only boots with the 2.6.27-14 version.

Follow the directions on this web page. It's about cleaning up the grub menu, but it's the same process. Just remove the references to the later kernels that won't boot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/clean-up-ubuntu-grub-boot-menu-after-upgrades/

Be sure to keep the 'recovery mode' for 2.6.27-14 and the 'memory test' entries.

qwerty1105
August 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
What I am doing now is editing the grub menu to boot automatically on the one that works.

What I am trying to figure out is why the updates don't work on my laptop. Is there a way to find out what is causing it to lock up? This laptop is a "learning" experience for me and I would like to dig deeper into things if I can. I am not afraid to break it. :D