PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Tabs in Nautilus

JarekMk
August 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hello,

How configure Nautilus to open new folder in tab like in Firefox? Not in new window.
Any ideas?

realzippy
August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
???????
It is the same as in firefox: CTRL + T.

JarekMk
August 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Nop. When I open first folder on desktop and then open second, it's opening in new windows - not in new tab, do you follow?
I want to make double click on folder and open it in new tab.

wojox
August 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Closes you'll get is to press the toggle button under the back button and switch view from buttons and text.

JarekMk
August 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, but this not working as I told ;/

asmoore82
August 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
I was so excited when I first heard Nautilus was adding tabs.

I was a little surprised that they tread so lightly with them.

I say Let's go Whole Hog with tabs!!!
Here's hopin' for the next release :KS

realzippy
August 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
????
..what happens,if you press mouse3 (mousewheel)?

my nautilus ;-) opens folder in new tab.Also ctrl +T...

(Nautilus 2.24.1)

JarekMk
August 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yep, open in new tab if u click on folder in current location, but if u want to open folder eg. from desktop it's opening in new window...

Subban
August 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
While not answering the OP's oringal query I do think this is relevant and brings better tab functionality to Nautilus in a manner.

Some of Nautilus's layout options are in plain old XML files, its possible to add a New Tab button to Nautilus toolbar, I have also added a New Folder button to mine as its something I constantly use and ctrl+shift+n is a two hand job.

sudo gedit /usr/share/nautilus/ui/nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml

There is a section that starts with:

<toolbar name="Toolbar">

Below that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice a bunch of the Nautilus buttons are defined, by popping in a :

<toolitem name="New Tab" action="New Tab"/>

add any separators you want and you shall have a nice New Tab button.

I have also added :

<toolitem name="New Folder" action="New Folder"/>

It is also possible to add cut, copy and paste buttons and possibly more, I have tried discovering a create document button but couldn't find the command, I was unable to find a list of possibilities.

Regardless, its very easy and a useful addtion to the toolbar when you do not use the breadcrumb style location bar (its much too useful being able to quickly type a path in to change to breadcrumb imo)

edit: Credit to greeleaf for his information that was helpful @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=659294