PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Installing Adobe Acrobat Plug In For Firefox

loweehahn
August 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have a problem while installing Adobe Acrobat Plug In. This message: bash: ./AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin: No such file or directory will appear every time I try to install by typing ./AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin. How to overcome this problem or anyone can suggest another idea to install?

oldos2er
August 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Are you in the directory where the Adobe file is? If so, try running

chmod a+x AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin
then retry the command.

loweehahn
August 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
What do you mean the directory where the adobe file is? I downloaded it onto my desktop.

lykeion
August 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
First of all, the desktop is a directory, and second of all like oldos2r says you have to make the file executable to be able to install it.

But if you'd like the adobe reader plugin I'd suggest you install it with synaptic instead like this:

First add the repository. Go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Third Party Software Tab and check the http://archive.canonical.com lines.

Close down Software Sources and start Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager). Search for package acroread and install it. You'll get Adobe Reader v9.1.2

loweehahn
August 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I did as you told but in the Synaptic Package Manager acroread doesn't produce any result. However after I checked both the carnonical links there are a few downloading errors.

oldos2er
August 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Open a terminal, and run these commands one at a time:

cd Desktop
chmod a+x AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin
sudo ./AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin

nnorman
August 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
archive.canonical.com appears to be functioning again ... not sure what was wrong with it.

I recommend you try lykeion's solution.

loweehahn
August 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It worked!! Thanks a lot.