PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to update distro

anotherbigal
August 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi all

I am have 6.10 - Edgy Eft on a spare machine but haven't looked at it for a while. Though it was about time I got a bit more up to date to pick up using Linux but clicking on update manager only suggests 7.04 and then says that it could not download all repository indexes.

I was not surprised really so downloaded 9.04 but that just black screens (MD5 OK and disk check OK)

Can anyone suggest where I go from here?

Simian Man
August 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
You are right that yu will not be able to update through the update manager - your version is just too old. How old is this computer?

You could try running 8.04 on it, that version is older now, but still supported.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
8.04 desktop is supported to 2011, likes older machines and has a habit of working out of the box.

anotherbigal
August 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
You are right that yu will not be able to update through the update manager - your version is just too old. How old is this computer?

You could try running 8.04 on it, that version is older now, but still supported.

It was supplied by eSys about three years ago with Suse installed.

I'm putting 8.04 on as I type but the graphics are terrible. Can't see all the screen. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to see enough to alter the resolution once installation is finished.

anotherbigal
August 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thank you Simian Man (are you an architect?) and jerrrys.

I have put 8.04 on successfully and am now downloading 315 packages. All OK - including screen resolution.

Still don't understand the black screen when I tried 9.04 though. I am keeping my finders crossed that the update will be OK.

anotherbigal

Simian Man
August 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you Simian Man (are you an architect?) and jerrrys.

I have put 8.04 on successfully and am now downloading 315 packages. All OK - including screen resolution.

Still don't understand the black screen when I tried 9.04 though. I am keeping my finders crossed that the update will be OK.

9.04 has some graphics bugs with Intel video cards for some reason - maybe that was the problem you ran into. 8.04 is ridiculously stable, so I don't think you will run into any problems from here out.

And no I'm not an architect, why do you ask??

slakkie
August 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I guess you did a reinstall, but otherwise: see the link in my sig.

anotherbigal
August 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
And no I'm not an architect, why do you ask??

Simian was the architect for the Persian ruler Suliman (3 I think). Responsible for many of the ancient worlds famous buildings.

Yep, One re-install done. Still downloading update packages.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes, I think it was a graphics thing with 9.04. When I followed through some of the thing I got something about X windows running on "0". Way, way beyond me. :smile: