PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows fails to load: "installed program cannot start"

Paddy Landau
August 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
I know that this should be on the Windows forums, but I feel more confident asking this question here.

Here's what happened:

In Windows Vista, I turned off pagefiles and System Restore. I did a full clean-up, disk check and defragment.
I shrunk the Windows Vista partition using the Windows Vista partition editor as much as it would allow me, which wasn't much. I still had 30Gb free space afterwards.
I booted off the Live CD (Jaunty 9.04).
I shrunk the Vista partition further, to 10Gb larger than the minimum that gparted would allow me. That still leaves 17Gb free.

Now, Windows won't start. It goes through the initial "loading files" bit, and then shows a "System Recovery Options" error: "The installed program cannot start. Click OK to turn off the computer." The only option is to press OK, which turns the computer off.

I can still access my Windows partition from Ubuntu without any problem.

Fortunately, not only do I have a full backup, but also I don't need my Windows any more. Therefore, my question is:

Is there an easy way to get my Windows working again?

If not, then don't worry, I'll just delete the Windows partition. No big loss.

LowSky
August 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
sounds like you need your Vista CD to do a repair.

Paddy Landau
August 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
sounds like you need your Vista CD to do a repair.
Yeah, it's one of those CD's that come with the hardware. It will erase my entire disk.

I'd rather lose Windows than do that!

Mark Phelps
August 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
.. I shrunk the Vista partition further, to 10Gb larger than the minimum that gparted would allow me...
You did this DESPITE post after post on this forum telling folks NOT to use GParted to shrink their Vista OS or ... it could be rendered unbootable!

You just might be able to repair the damage you did ... by going to the NeoSmart forums, downloading and burning their Vista Recovery CD, booting in that CD, and running Startup Repair several times.

This is a Vista "repair" CD; not one of the CDs that came with your machine that will overwrite and restore your complete hard drive. This one will only repair the boot and startup files; it won't touch the rest of your data or files.

jacklinux
August 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I know that this should be on the Windows forums, but I feel more confident asking this question here.

Here's what happened:

In Windows Vista, I turned off pagefiles and System Restore. I did a full clean-up, disk check and defragment.
I shrunk the Windows Vista partition using the Windows Vista partition editor as much as it would allow me, which wasn't much. I still had 30Gb free space afterwards.
I booted off the Live CD (Jaunty 9.04).
I shrunk the Vista partition further, to 10Gb larger than the minimum that gparted would allow me. That still leaves 17Gb free.

Now, Windows won't start. It goes through the initial "loading files" bit, and then shows a "System Recovery Options" error: "The installed program cannot start. Click OK to turn off the computer." The only option is to press OK, which turns the computer off.

I can still access my Windows partition from Ubuntu without any problem.

Fortunately, not only do I have a full backup, but also I don't need my Windows any more. Therefore, my question is:

Is there an easy way to get my Windows working again?

If not, then don't worry, I'll just delete the Windows partition. No big loss.
i guess thats the problem with GParted. Oh well we all learn from our mistakes.

Paddy Landau
August 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
You did this DESPITE post after post on this forum telling folks NOT to use GParted to shrink their Vista OS or ... it could be rendered unbootable!
LOL! Oh well. I have shrunk it before using gparted without problem, so I guess it's luck of the draw.

I've given up on Windows, and deleted its partition, increasing my Ubuntu partition to take up the lost space.

Actually, I feel quite relieved... No more Windows on my machine!

Paddy Landau
August 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
i guess thats the problem with GParted. Oh well we all learn from our mistakes.
I just found out that if you install ntfsprogs, then gparted can use it with NTFS partitions (e.g. formatting a partition as NTFS).

I don't know whether it will help with shrinking NTFS partitions, though...

LewRockwell
August 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Re: Failure To Use Vista To Reduce Partition Size And Subsequent Vista Failure

You just might be able to repair the damage you did ... by going to the NeoSmart forums, downloading and burning their Vista Recovery CD, booting in that CD, and running Startup Repair several times.

This is a Vista "repair" CD; not one of the CDs that came with your machine that will overwrite and restore your complete hard drive. This one will only repair the boot and startup files; it won't touch the rest of your data or files.

For future visitors to this thread...and perhaps with the same problems...

I second Mark Phelps on THIS!

jacklinux
August 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Re: Failure To Use Vista To Reduce Partition Size And Subsequent Vista Failure

For future visitors to this thread...and perhaps with the same problems...

I second Mark Phelps on THIS!

They should make that a sticky on here. Its something people are going to keep doing.

LewRockwell
August 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
They should make that a sticky on here. Its something people are going to keep doing.

what...do you actually think anyone reads the manual before blowing things up?

lol

jacklinux
August 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM

lol

Nope, but let it be a lesson to everyone. Read before you dive in.

lisati
August 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM

Been there, done that! When it happened to me I think I got lucky and was able to fix Vista fairly easily without destroying the Ubuntu partition and didn't make the connection at the time between the particular problem I had with Vista and using gparted.

Paddy Landau
August 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well, I think many people do, but they take the risk because Vista's partition editor has such problems with shrinking NTFS partitions. That was the situation with me.

What we really need is for Microsoft to improve its partition editor. That won't happen soon I guess, so an improved NTFS support for gparted would be great.

Anyway, that's not my problem now! :D