PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB keyboard with an annoying bug, please help

norbs
August 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
I noticed a bug with my keyboard that I didn't used for a few months.
I don't know if my hardware is ruined or the problem is with my os.

Randomly my keyboard stops working. It happens simultaneously with a quick blackening of my screen (though sometimes the screen just flashes black, and nothing happens with the keyboard). With the death of my keyboard I cannot select any languages through the keyboard indicator, though they appear in the list under Keyboard preferences/Layouts tab.

I searched up launchpad, and this bug is very close to mine: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/173135
There are instances where the same stuck of one key happens with my system. I don't know if this is related or not.

The bug is really annoying, since I have to have a typing work done in which I have to change layouts really often.

The only way around the bug (that I found) is to unplug my kb. and than plug in to ANOTHER USB port.

Any help appreciated. :confused:

norbs
August 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
bump...

So it's not happening with others. That's strange, may it be a hardware error, or something linked?

But it's still annoying :-(

marcopalla
August 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
stupid question: has your pc a ps/2 connector?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

and what Linux kernel are U using?

norbs
August 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, it has a ps/2 connector.
My mouse is connected trough this.

My kernel is 2.6.28-14-generic.

And I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

marcopalla
August 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
you can try to connect your Keyboard via ps/2 dedicated port, (even if your kb is usb you can buy an adaptator for 2$)

IMHO that could be a kernel problem in the management of USB thing
you have the last ubuntu kernel
so I don't know if to suggest to try to switch to the previuos one you were using when it worked, it's not easy and could not solve your problem,

at the startup you can select an older kernel?

I hope it helps....
m.

norbs
August 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey,
The easiest way around it will be to buy an adapter, I think.
Thou this bug is an interesting one. If I'd be a nerd I would jump on it immediately :lolflag: