PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] kde on ubuntu question

rahilm
August 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Tell me frankly whether the following fact is true or not:
It is impossible to install the KDE desktop on ubuntu without accessing the internet.............

geezz..You really have infinite problems with ubuntu if you don't have a good internet connection

pedro3005
August 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
You can download Kubuntu which comes with KDE.

lotster
August 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Downloading Kubuntu once again requires internet connection; yes, I'm afraid that's it, unless you can get Kubuntu from someone else. But I have the DVD edition of Ubuntu, and I see it only needs to download about 140MB, which is better than on the CD version (which needs to download around 600MB).

rahilm
August 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have kubuntu desktop CD
any chances??

rahilm
August 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
even with AptOnCD

lotster
August 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
It might work... Try adding the CD using Synaptic Software Sources and see what it does. It couldn't hurt to try...

slakkie
August 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Dunno if the livecd has kubuntu-desktop packages, otherwise, you need some kind of repositories to fetch the packages from...

apparle
August 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Although not infinite but you will face some problems without internet.
I have used Ubuntu for 1.5yrs without internet so I cna understand. But there is something new which will solve majority of your problems
http://keryxproject.org/

With the help of this you can download things on a computer with net and then bring them back to your computer.

I recommend you go to https://shipit.kubuntu.org/ and request a kubuntu CD which comes with KDE

aysiu
August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
It depends on what you mean by "accessing the internet."

You do not need a working internet connection on your Ubuntu computer. But you do need a working internet connection on some computer, so you can download the Kubuntu Alternate CD (I don't believe the Alternate CDs are sold in brick-and-mortar stores... I don't even think the Desktop CDs are).

Having the Kubuntu Desktop CD will do you no good unless you want to dual-boot Kubuntu and Ubuntu or just replace Ubuntu with Kubuntu altogether.

rahilm
August 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
adding the livecd doesn't work..
i think all the packages are installed and kept in that casper file (which is the biggest file in the disk)
anybody knows how to open it??
a better way than keryx was using synaptic and making a download script..i hope that's the last option
i have an OK-OK internet connection which unfortunately is not unlimited so i have a habit of using those download scripts to save the packages for future use..

EXCiD3
August 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The synaptic script requires that you have an internet connection to get the latest package lists. Keryx does everything for you so you could work with absolutely no internet. I don't see how the synaptic download scripts are better than Keryx.

rahilm
August 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM
i finally downloaded kubuntu desktop (it took me two days to do that)
thanks for all ur tips
and EXCiD3 ...point taken.. keyrix is better than synaptic scripts

apparle
August 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
LiveCD has all the packages installed so you can't install anything via live CD of kubuntu.
If you want to install packages via CD the you need an alternate install CD
Else you can wipe out your old system and then install kubuntu from live CD

EXCiD3
August 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
LiveCD has all the packages installed so you can't install anything via live CD of kubuntu.
If you want to install packages via CD the you need an alternate install CD
Else you can wipe out your old system and then install kubuntu from live CD

Wiping certainly isn't ideal, but installing from another CD (if you have it available) works great.