PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File Associations for PDF and torrent files wrong: MIME issues

ToT)SiLeNcE(
August 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hello,

I am using Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 and I am having issues with the default applications for PDF files and torrent files.

PDF files open with gimp if I double click on a downloaded file in firefox. It doesn't happen in Nautilus. The same with torrent files: They open with KTorrent instead of Transmission.

I have been able to fix this temporarily by editing /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache changing the order of the .desktop entries there.

The file type associations are now correct, but they cease being after a certain while. I believe this is caused by the "update-desktop-database" script, which gets called once packages are updated in apt. update-desktop-database restores the wrong order of applications again.

Question is now: What do I have to do to fix this? Is there some way to tell "update-desktop-database" the order of applications I prefer to have?

Best regards
Bastian

dlmarti
August 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
system->preferences->prefered applications

ToT)SiLeNcE(
August 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Sadly this doesn't help...

kpkeerthi
August 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I usually change the preferred application by right-clicking the file -> Open With -> select program. Works for me.

ToT)SiLeNcE(
August 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yes this works in nautilus for me too... But firefox has its own rules it seems. Wouldn't be too big of an issue, but I have to download lots of PDFs in Firefox each day and it gets annoying...

kpkeerthi
August 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yes this works in nautilus for me too... But firefox has its own rules it seems. Wouldn't be too big of an issue, but I have to download lots of PDFs in Firefox each day and it gets annoying...

I'm lost here. Firefox... what?

ToT)SiLeNcE(
August 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Quoting myself from above:

"PDF files open with gimp if I double click on a downloaded file in firefox. It doesn't happen in Nautilus. The same with torrent files: They open with KTorrent instead of Transmission."

Should have put in in the thread title I guess...

boombox1387
August 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Shoot, I was hoping this thread would have a useful answer because I'm having the same problem. Torrent files keep opening with Miro even though the system default is set to Transmission. Similarly, all media files open with Totem instead of Banshee, which is set as my system default.

Since the system defaults are already set the way I want them to be, changing the system's preferred applications won't do anything. Changing Firefox's preferences (Edit > Preferences > Applications tab) also doesn't seem to work.

So I guess I'll keep looking for an answer and I'll post back here if I find anything. For the record: Jaunty x64, Firefox 3.0, Transmission from GetDeb, and Banshee compiled from source.

boombox1387
August 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Well, I found the solution to my problem, which most likely won't solve yours, but just in case:

I had been telling Firefox to point at .desktop files (in /usr/share/applications), which didn't work. To fix this, in the Applications tab of Firefox's preferences, I told Firefox to use /usr/bin/banshee-1 and /usr/bin/transmission instead.