PDA

View Full Version : HTML editor with code completion

Markstar
August 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi,
so far I have used Dreamweaver, but I'm looking for a Linux alternative. Since I do not work on HTML all the time, I admit that I do rely heavily on Dreamweavers code completion (eg. <ta -> <table, then <table st -> <table style=", then <table style="f -> drop-down menu with all the choices for "f"). Screem has code completion for the first two cases ("table" and "style"), but not when it comes to the actual properties.

Is there a program that has that? If not, do you recommend using Wine+Dreamweaver or a VM+Windows+Dreamweaver?

Thank you in advance!

CyberJack
August 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
I use netbeans for my php, html and css developement.
I think the HTML autocompletion is pretty good.
It has autocompletion for inline styles (although I try to avoid them), and has a graphical preview of css styles.

Netbeans is a IDE and no webdevelopement suite like dreamweaver, but if you just need to edit html manually I think it will do just fine.

Psicolonia
August 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
eclipse does this with some plugins I guess. I use eclipse for php developers and works very well. I think the easiest way though would be BlueFish (in the repositories) but it's not very good with the code completion.

slavik
August 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
bluefish is awesome when you want wizards to build things (forms, css, small php snippets for mysql queries).

There is aptana which I've used, it has code completion and is intelligent about the DOM.

Markstar
August 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thank you for your replies!

I actually use Bluefish now, but I'm not that happy with it (because of the lacking code completion). I have just tried NetBeans (with the necessary plug-in), but don't think I will use that. It's too slow on my machine (Intel T7200 with 3GB RAM) and the code completion only completes the parts that I already know (meaning the the "font-weight"-part but only the values).

I will try Eclipse tonight, since have used that in the past for C++ (but I'm using Code:Blocks now).

Thanks again!