PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting HDD Partition Trouble

Aericron
August 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
So I was stuck with Vista on my laptop. It started messing up, wouldn't let me log in or let alone click anything. So I heard I could scan my windows files using Ubuntu. So I wiped a useless partition (it was sent from toshiba with 3 partitions) to install Ubuntu into. But since I had to force shut down my laptop when it was last in Vista, Ubuntu won't let me see what's in the Windows partition. Is there any way I can force mount this?

My partitions go something like:
device boot start end blocks id system
/dev/sda1 37879 38913 8313637+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 * 192 37878 302716928 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 1 191 1534176+ 5 extended
/dev/sda5 1 191 1534144+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I just want to get all my crap off my hard drive, then just do a full format. I had the plan of making a torrent consisting of the files I want to keep, and have a second computer download it for storage, then after I reformat and reinstall my os's just seed it back. But first I need access to said files, which means I need it to mount my windows partition.
I don't know a whole lot about Linux based systems, but I'm kinda easy flowing with computers, any help is very much appreciated, thanks

prshah
August 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
won't let me see what's in the Windows partition. Is there any way I can force mount this?

device boot start end blocks id system
/dev/sda2 * 192 37878 302716928 7 HPFS/NTFS

You can do a forcemount with the terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) command
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt -o defaults,rw,force this will forcemount your windows partition to the /mnt directory.

Aericron
August 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
You can do a forcemount with the terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) command
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt -o defaults,rw,force this will forcemount your windows partition to the /mnt directory.
Thank you very much prshah, I don't know why my commands weren't working... I think my options weren't the same...