PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to restore the default Ubuntu panel?

jinhoward
August 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
:popcorn:I am a beginer of Ubuntu 9.04 .last night.I accidentally deleted the panel at the top of my desk,how can I restore it back .Is there anybody who can help me ?
Thanks!

naveedmanzoor21
August 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
:popcorn:I am a beginer of Ubuntu 9.04 .last night.I accidentally deleted the panel at the top of my desk,how can I restore it back .Is there anybody who can help me ?
Thanks!

In a terminal, run ps -A | grep gnome-panel , if you see it some thing like this

dtel@dtel-desktop:~$ ps -A | grep gnome-panel
4436 ? 00:00:04 gnome-panel

meaning it's running, then run:

gconftool –recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel

if you don't see it, then run:

gconftool –recursive-unset /apps/panel && gnome-panel

nothingspecial
August 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Or if you didn`t understand all that you could right click on the bottom panel and choose new panel.

Then drag it to the top.

The right click on it and choose "add to panel" and choose the stuff you want to go there.

I think it`s gnome menu, firefox, evolution and notification area but put what you like on it.

jinhoward
August 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Or if you didn`t understand all that you could right click on the bottom panel and choose new panel.

Then drag it to the top.

The right click on it and choose "add to panel" and choose the stuff you want to go there.

I think it`s gnome menu, firefox, evolution and notification area but put what you like on it.
I have tried what you said,but I simply couldn't make it to it's original state.Thanks anyway for your help!

666f6f
March 9th, 2010, 12:00 AM
In a terminal, run ps -A | grep gnome-panel , if you see it some thing like this

Small typo there, that should read --recursive-unset. Pretty obvious but whatever..

vinegar taster
March 22nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hi. I'm also an Ubuntu newbie. I have the same problem, but I'm using Karmic. Will your solution still work? I wanted to ask you before I actually tried it out, because I might do something that I will not be able to undo. Thanks.

wojox
March 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM

Then drag it to the top.

Just do that. ;)

vinegar taster
March 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM

It works! Thanks! :-)

jinhoward
April 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hi. I'm also an Ubuntu newbie. I have the same problem, but I'm using Karmic. Will your solution still work? I wanted to ask you before I actually tried it out, because I might do something that I will not be able to undo. Thanks.

yes .It does works ,and the method I tried was can been seen below:

******************************solution************ ********

*******************************solution ******************

I hope this can also work for you system. good luck!