PDA

View Full Version : [other] Nvidia or ATI?

OMJD
August 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Does it matter which GPU brand people choose for Linux these days? I heard awhile back that ATI produces bad drivers for Linux. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I am looking for a new graphics card, so obviously I need to do my homework first!

Cheers

castlefox
August 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I heard the Nvidia drivers are easier to install.

metalf8801
August 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
I have an ATI card in my laptop and a Nvidia in my desktop and until 9.04 I would have said that I get better performance out of my Nvida card but now that I don't need the proprietary for the ATI card its working great and for some reason watching flash videos on my desktop is really bad but that might not be because of the video card

well idk if that help but this site should
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=category&item=Graphics%20Cards

Arup
August 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Stick to nvidia, even for watching movies, with vdpau, its far superior.

hinesdeal102
August 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Nvidia, I had Ubuntu 6.06 running a long time ago with a GeForce 5200 and the performance was great. This was awhile back though and I have used never versions of Ubuntu on different hardware and I still think that Nvidia's old cards seem to work great in linux. Intel chips just work but don't perform the greatest. I have had one ATI card work in a dell with ubuntu 8.04 and that was an x300 (not a good card).

SoftwareExplorer
August 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I usually go with Nvidia. I know it will have a driver and I don't have to worry about linux compatibility. Now, if all the ATI's they sell now have open drivers that work w/ compiz I would go for them. Mainly, when I buy a Nvidia card, I know it will work, so i have no good reason to go to ATI.

binbash
August 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
ATI's drivers suck.Go for Nvidia

schnelle
August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Nvidia.

Nburnes
August 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
From experience I would say Nvidia.

It was much easier to set up graphics on my friends machine than on my own ATI Radeon X1250 graphics in my laptop.

Robin Borninkhof
August 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Still running ATI, works fine for me.

rizman
August 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I can't tell you if NVidia cards perform better then ATI cards, but I would still get an NVidia. Why? Well, since the release of the ATI catalyst drivers 9.4 there are a lot of cards which do not run anymore under XServer 1.6, hence Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04). My card is pretty old, a Radeon Mobility X700, so I don't complain to much since the Opensource drivers work OK for my needs. But, I heard reports of people having a card not older than 1 year which isn't supported anymore. So for me, that means that ATI's Linux support is crap. Hence, the next card I'll get will be an Nvidia as I have heard only good from their Linux drivers.

Just something you might consider

GoldenSun
August 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Nvidia all the way for linux.

I would only ever recommend an ati if you were gaming in a windows environment and had no desire to use cuda; and had a budget.