PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Blank Screen during upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04

priestscientist
August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Yes I originaly have Ubuntu 8.04 and I was interested in KDE 4. I installed Kubuntu from the package manager and then successfully ran Kubuntu. Found out that I had KDE 3 but I wanted to download KDE4 so I needed to upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04.

So here is the issue. During the upgrading and the installation process my screen went blank so I decided to not mess with the system at all since the light on my computer was still flickering, I took it that the installation was still going on and I left it to be for about 5 hours. Now I returned to the computer and the screen was still black so I reseted to system and I now have a new Kubuntu splash screen and once the OS is done booting the my monitor goes blank again and nothing happens.
So I used GRUB to start Ubuntu 8.04 system recovery and inputed the command: 'sudo apt-get ubuntu-desktop', in order to try to get my desktop back because. I think others may have ran into the same problem as I have and I need a solution to this problem. I have important data that I would like to save. This sounds like a simple solution I just need direction in bringing a solution to this issue. Thank Ubuntu forums for your time:)

anotherbigal
August 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hi priestscientist

You are not alone I am sorry to say. I tried a new install 9.04 (not an upgrade as it was a Windows mc) but ran into the same problem. So I tried 7.10 LTS but got the same thing. Installation gets so far, just past the splash, then hangs with a black screen - overnight in my case. If it of any help after I remove the CD the machine will boot back into the previous OS

I think that there is a problem with the on board Intel graphics but have no idea how to fix it.

Any advice out there please?