PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux reboot after upgrade

FrankQC
August 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I thought you didn't have to reboot after updates/upgrades on Linux.

I just upgraded and it's telling me to reboot, why?... I switched from Windows to Linux to have less reboots but apparently they're the same..

lisati
August 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
It depends: most updates don't require a reboot but if there's an update to the kernel, for example, you'll need to reboot to be able to use it.

FrankQC
August 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
And what happens if I don't reboot and just stay on the older Kernel, what happens then?

lisati
August 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
And what happens if I don't reboot and just stay on the older Kernel, what happens then?

You'll be able to keep on using your computer, but without the full benefit of the update, until you next reboot.

HotShotDJ
August 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
I thought you didn't have to reboot after updates/upgrades on Linux.

I just upgraded and it's telling me to reboot, why?... I switched from Windows to Linux to have less reboots but apparently they're the same..Generally speaking, you do not need to reboot after a software update. HOWEVER, a reboot will be necessary after a kernel upgrade and certain module (driver) upgrades. I assure you, they are NOT the same. You will usually not have to reboot after you install or upgrade most software in Linux. Its just this time, you had a kernel upgrade. They don't happen very frequently.

FrankQC
August 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
So are my chances of getting hacked rise or something? What are the actual disadvantages?

Sef
August 3rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
So are my chances of getting hacked rise or something?

If the update fixes a security flaw, then yes, your chances of getting hacked will be greater, if left unpatched. Unpatched flaws are a well known way of hacking into a computer. That goes for any operating system.