PDA

View Full Version : Who is Gman?

dragos240
August 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Perhaps this topic is more for the Steam forums. But I wanted to ask this community who YOU think he is, what does he do. Etc. And for those who don't know, he is from the half-life series. I think he shall remain a mystery until the half-life saga ends. Or perhaps remain a mystery. What do you think.

coldReactive
August 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
Don't know, don't care.

Shooters are really a turn-off for me.

HappyFeet
August 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Don't know, don't care.

That is not what the thread is about. I don't think anyone cares if you don't care, and what you like and don't like. Grow up already. If you want to talk about your likes and dislikes, start your own thread.

Carry on.

dragos240
August 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Well.... It's a tad different than normal shooters. It definitely has a storyline to it, and a well done one at that. All I am pointing at is that one character that nobody knows about.

HappyFeet
August 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I played the original, but don't remember any Gman. It's been a while.

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I played the original, but don't remember any Gman. It's been a while.

It's the pale guy who is in a business suit and has a briefcase. At the end of the game he tells you to "choose" Between going into a portal, or fighting a battle you could not win.

CharmyBee
August 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
It is Gordon Freeman.

YukaToshi
August 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Half-Life 2 is boring.

RATM_Owns
August 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Half-Life 2 is boring.
Yeah, it probably is.

But Half Life 2: Deathmatch is awesome. :D

Steam ID: ratm_arm

MikeTheC
August 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Never heard of it. Then again, I don't game myself, so I wouldn't know.

Are they going to do a Linux port of it, do you think?

YukaToshi
August 3rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah, it probably is.

But Half Life 2: Deathmatch is awesome. :D

Steam ID: ratm_arm

Lol, thats pretty boring too :P

CharmyBee
August 3rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
Are they going to do a Linux port of it, do you think?
No linux client. All those rumors are silly speculation from fans of the jump to conclusions mat.

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
All of the Steam games I have played work perfectly in WINE.

kspncr
August 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
It is Gordon Freeman.

Everybody says that, but that isn't it. I promise.

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Best game ever BTW.

I think everybody is overplaying him. IMO he is just a contractor for both sides.

MikeTheC
August 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
No linux client. All those rumors are silly speculation from fans of the jump to conclusions mat.

So what kind of game is "Who is Gman?"

kspncr
August 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
So what kind of game is "Who is Gman?"

Lol the game isn't "Who is Gman," the Gman is character from the Half-Life series of games. A lot of people talk about him because he doesn't really explain his motives or "employers." He's there for intrigue; the player can't be sure of what "side" he's on (and he seems to have some pretty remarkable abilities).

Tipped OuT
August 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
G-Man is a very mysterious man with very remarkable powers; he's employed by an unrevealed party, apparently with the task of recruiting and managing other, useful lifeforms for an unknown purpose (and possibly for the highest bidder).

Gordon can catch glimpses of the G-Man throughout Half-Life and Half-Life 2, supervising Gordon's progress and talking to the rebels in Half-Life 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbhQioqLK8

NovaAesa
August 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Gman is obviously an alien on a secret mission! That's why he is so secretive!

Sand & Mercury
August 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I think he's a MacGuffin.

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
For the person who said he's Fordon Freeman, you're close. Gordon Freeman's model name was "g-man", so the nickname for g-man started.

MikeTheC
August 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Lol the game isn't "Who is Gman," the Gman is character from the Half-Life series of games.
Oh, ok. I figured maybe it was some kind of modern "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?" game.

As I said, I don't game. But at least now I know. Thanks!

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
For the person who said he's Fordon Freeman, you're close. Gordon Freeman's model name was "g-man", so the nickname for g-man started.
You read "raising the bar"? :)

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
No I haven't. I looked it up in wikipedia.

LowSky
August 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
You read "raising the bar"? :)

you mean "raising the crowbar"...lol

half-life joke

in a game about multiple demensions and earth apocolase I think he could be almost anyone at this point.

Hey what happened to HL2: episode 3?
its been 2 years since episode 2...

Eisenwinter
August 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Don't know, don't care.

You mean First Person Shooters?

Because Doom is the best video game ever made.

And I mean the original one, from 1993.

phrostbyte
August 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
You aren't suppose to know. :)

Gman is unknowable.

theGlitch
August 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Gman can alter time and space... though I'm not a religious person myself, I think he's going to end up being some sort of God figure.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
http://rickatnight11.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/gordon.jpg

http://rickatnight11.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/gman.jpg

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
you mean "raising the crowbar"...lol

half-life joke

in a game about multiple demensions and earth apocolase I think he could be almost anyone at this point.

Hey what happened to HL2: episode 3?
its been 2 years since episode 2...
They decided left for dead 2 was more important. Half life fans are always given the shaft from valve. Then again, they work in valve time.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time [+]

Tipped OuT
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Gman can alter time and space... though I'm not a religious person myself, I think he's going to end up being some sort of God figure.

No... he might be an alien from the future. Which is why he can't speak fluently, and says words like 'difference', "dif, er, ence".

By the way, G-man is one word. It means Government or FBI agent. Which is what G-man, in the game, seems to be.

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
The right man in the wrong.... PLAce can make all the diff-eer-ence in the world.........

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
The right man in the wrong.... PLAce can make all the diff-eer-ence in the world.........
Wrong. Best speech seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wtqfAHFEg8&feature=related

kspncr
August 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Actually, that is incorrect. It was the model for the Gman that was named "gman," Gordon's model was not. Since the Gman doesn't actually have a name that we know of (none of the characters ever actually call him "Gman") they decided to call him after his model's name just so people would have something to call him. And I have read Raising the Bar. That's where I got this info.

Sand & Mercury
August 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I think it would be pretty awesome if they revealed in Episode 3 that he's actually just some guy and has absolutely no bearing on the story at all.

CharmyBee
August 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Actually, that is incorrect. It was the model for the Gman that was named "gman," Gordon's model was not. Since the Gman doesn't actually have a name that we know of (none of the characters ever actually call him "Gman") they decided to call him after his model's name just so people would have something to call him. And I have read Raising the Bar. That's where I got this info.
Gordon's model is player.mdl, and before that it was doctor.mdl back in his Gimli days.

dragos240
August 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Almost got it :D