PDA

View Full Version : new amarok i hate it

gigaferz
August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
what the hell happened to amarok!!!!????

agghh!!

Blu Fox
August 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
It got kidnapped by nazi spies who are interrogating it for any secrets on how to find the lost ark.

In all seriousness, I dunno. I just stick with rhythmbox since my experience with amarok wasn't all that great

gigaferz
August 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
i was used to it, now i have a fresh install and it doesnt even play, gr8

Orlsend
August 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
New or Old I just can't use Amarok, its ugly.

northwestuntu
August 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
songbird :P

RiceMonster
August 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
mpd

dragos240
August 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM

agghh!!

You can get a PPA to downgrade amarok. There is one available.

coldReactive
August 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Have a picture of the two being side-by-side?

I've never used amarok in ages, why? No: loop one file forever; without adding newly opened files to the playlist, instead of just replacing the current playlist with the new file that you're opening.

kingjere
August 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I miss the portable device support. Its supposed to be re-implemented, but no sign of it yet.

dragos240
August 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Add those, and install amarok14 with apt-get.

:D

SamJosRob
August 2nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Try Exaile. It's a great alternative to Amarok.

Tipped OuT
August 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Rhythm Box is so under rated, but I love it. :)

DeadSuperHero
August 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Honestly, I fail to see why Amarok 2.1 gets all the bashing. Functionally, I believe it's better, and looks better than it used to. It's come a long way, and it does the job for me. Personally, I love the new version far more than I'll ever love 1.4. I love the context view, the new functionality. These complaints are almost as ridiculous as the "KDE 4.x sucks" threads that pepper the Cafe and Recurring discussions anymore.

Chemical Imbalance
August 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Try Banshee.

I was never satisfied with other players like Exaile, Amarok, Audacious,etc.. before I installed Banshee.

gigaferz
August 4th, 2009, 10:28 PM
First I liked the look, i was used to get the lyrics ,to see the "context" , also i like to read the wikipedia and stuff like that....
never really figured out how to use the cover system, but still.

I just dumped all my music in there and play it, I just got minirok, but is too mini... lol.

ill get the older one, hopefully it'll play .

about exaile yeah, it looks the same hopefully it has that scrip/plugin system too...

I never expected to see all these responses, lol, i guess we humans are designed to argue, lol

gigaferz
August 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
i need a key*****

**** sorry , nevermind, it worked*************

well i got it but it doesn play either, gr8t

rotwang888
August 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Last.fm scrobbling is broken in 1.4, and I don't know about anybody else, but lately about once a week it'll suddenly use up 100% of RAM and swap. I'll have to go back to foobar2000 and see if it'll forgive me.
Exaile is slow with big collections, and Banshee won't browse by directory structure.

level
August 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
songbird

Even worse. :o songbird "colossus resource hog"

Seriously the best player is JuK, simple lightweight and does what it says on the tin.

koleoptero
August 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM
i need a key*****

**** sorry , nevermind, it worked*************

well i got it but it doesn play either, gr8t

sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg

:confused:

Orlsend
August 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM

1+

The Best Audio Player.

Jimleko211
August 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I love Amarok 2. The only thing I wish was different was that the lyrics actually worked, but that only stopped working recently, and that's not the dev's fault.

DeadSuperHero
August 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I love Amarok 2. The only thing I wish was different was that the lyrics actually worked, but that only stopped working recently, and that's not the dev's fault.

+1, although the lyrics seem to be working now with the latest package. (Then again, I get mine through Jaunty Backports, so it could be a different 2.x version.

Actually, the only thing I wished was going on differently is the store integration. It's not...bad per se, but I'd really love to see Jamendo's store integration to rival that of iTunes. Maybe have artist info when browsing through music searches. Perhaps it could display a mobile version of the artists' page?

Jimleko211
August 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
+1, although the lyrics seem to be working now with the latest package. (Then again, I get mine through Jaunty Backports, so it could be a different 2.x version.

I have 2.1.1. You?

oldos2er
August 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Exaile and vlc do everything I need.

gn2
August 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I like Atunes.

pissedoffdude
August 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM

agghh!!

Hehe, gotta agree with you. However, the latest amarok with kde 4.3 rocks (though I just can't seem to like it on gnome). You could always add a ppa to install the old 1.4 version

automaton26
August 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
It messed up my actual files (unforgivable), so I now use Juk instead.

Pick track & play/pause/stop - that's all I need :)

feelshift
August 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
1+

The Best Audio Player.
I'd use it if it would integrate better with Gnome :P

hellmet
August 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Have a picture of the two being side-by-side?

I've never used amarok in ages, why? No: loop one file forever; without adding newly opened files to the playlist, instead of just replacing the current playlist with the new file that you're opening.
You mean enqueue? Amarok does (or used to) support queuing files. I'm yet to really use the new Amarok.

koleoptero
August 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
It messed up my actual files (unforgivable), so I now use Juk instead.

Pick track & play/pause/stop - that's all I need :)

You should also try decibel if you are on gnome.

gigaferz
August 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
is working now, installing the xine plugin (or whatever)

vlc, works fine, but i want lil bit more than an ugly playlist and the separated windows, maybe if there was a way to join them (i dont know why or for what its just me)

i tried songbird last year, it looked promising but was kinda s l o w, but too itunes-ish for my taste, (i know amarok looks a like, but its not a rip-off)

but the one that looked like winamp, will always be there for me to remember.

Starlight
August 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Amarok is good, but on my computer it always has a weird problem. I have an mp3 collection, and all music players (including the first Amarok) except Amarok 2 correctly recognize everything. When I add my main mp3 folder to the Amarok 2 database, about half of my mp3s in that folder don't get imported. What's even weirder, if I manually open one of these mp3 files in Amarok 2, it plays correctly, with no problems.

Arathorn
August 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I've never liked Amarok. I use foobar2000 with Wine and that works perfectly.

gigaferz
August 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM
mmh, sometimes i goes fast forward ( i know,huh, lol) but then skips for a while then goes fast and then comes backs to normal, just wondering anyone has had this problem.

by the way i ended up instalin the PPA version.

ohh maybe my mp3 s are scratched...?

cptrohn
August 6th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Rhythm Box is so under rated, but I love it. :)

I tried out alot of different players but just kept coming back to rhytmbox time and time again.....

It's pretty much all I use now.

donniezazen
August 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Songbird Rocks!!!

Chemical Imbalance
August 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Songbird Rocks!!!

But does one really need the gecko web-browser built in to a music player?

It seems ridiculous to me. Besides the fact that Songbird destroyed peoples music a few months ago with a horrible bug.

Is it the sync feature you like?

I'm just curious as to why some people like songbird.

Is it because it looks like iTunes?