PDA

View Full Version : Is this Desktop worth Upgrading?

razorboy5
August 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi

I have a HP Pavilion a1720n Desktop not too old, specs can be found here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00837320&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3340228

haven't used it for a while because it is broke (i suspect a broken Hard Drive) and was thinking about reviving it rather than buying a brand new machine.

The motherboard's not bad (although caps out at 4gb ram dont think i need any more than that) can find a decent (2.5ghz dual CPU) for about $70 at Canada Computers and probably should upgrade the Video Card. Of course fix or buy a new Hard drive then all that's left is a few tweaks i assume (well not a computer expert so i have to assume)

so think it's worth upgrading?

tubezninja
August 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'd say yes. It'll scream on linux, and it might even run WIndows 7 pretty decently. Why throw it away if it's fixable?

JillSwift
August 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Definitely. It's a nice machine as is, just finding the broken bit would be enough, with a few upgrades - even nicer.

YukaToshi
August 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yes but buy a decent Nvidia card like a 9600 GT.

razorboy5
August 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
thx for the advice
i will get working on my Desktop...
and will take it to a professional tomorrow when i eventually give up ^^

SunnyRabbiera
August 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have a older model then that, a HP a1310y... works fine and I can go up to 4GB

MasterNetra
August 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00837320&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3340228

haven't used it for a while because it is broke (i suspect a broken Hard Drive) and was thinking about reviving it rather than buying a brand new machine.

The motherboard's not bad (although caps out at 4gb ram dont think i need any more than that) can find a decent (2.5ghz dual CPU) for about $70 at Canada Computers and probably should upgrade the Video Card. Of course fix or buy a new Hard drive then all that's left is a few tweaks i assume (well not a computer expert so i have to assume)

so think it's worth upgrading?

yes, just find and fix the broken part, upgrade the ram to max (if you want) and maybe the video card if your a gamer and you should be good probably for a year or two (if a gamer, probably a good 4+ years if not)

hellion0
August 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I'd say it's got plenty of miles left. Go for it.

The Real Dave
August 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Put it this way, thats more powerful than my main computer :P

The majority of computers I upgrade more than RAM in, are PIIIs, PIVs or similar Athlons. Newest was 3 years old, an Athlon64 :P I would love a PC like that, but almost all the computers donated to me are PIVs :( Oh well, beggers not choosers lol :lolflag:

evermooingcow
August 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
E6300 is a great CPU. No need to upgrade and well worth keeping and restoring for use. What would you be doing on this machine?

starcannon
August 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, thats a nice computer as is; if I were upgrading it, I'd up the ram to 2 or 3gb, put a nice fat Nvidia card in the pci-e 16x slot, and call it really nice.

razorboy5
August 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
i would love to start gaming again on this computer

i love music and just browsing and bopping my head (i know a lil loser-ish)

however still miss the gaming from windows so probably get desktop running with 7 and wait patiently for Diablo 3

magmon
August 6th, 2009, 02:20 AM
That is actually a pretty nice machine. I would definately say fix it. Ive been fixing some old computers lately, and Ive found that even the crap ones work well with ubuntu/xubuntu.

bkratz
August 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=razorboy5;7722462]Hi

I have one of these lying around too. I had a lot of trouble getting the XP drivers from HP, to roll back since the original vista ( not worth capatilization ) was not so good. finally I got them. I also would like to install Ubuntu on it, but have been hesitant to try and see if it is completely compatible without going though the drivers mess again (it was not pleasant!).
Would be interested in knowing how it turns out for you.