PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Seeking a good PDF viewer for Gnome

TheEvilOne6620
August 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Can anyone tell me of a good pdf viewer for a Gnome desktop?? I currently have Evince installed but it has no options whatsoever and I do not like its setup either. I typically use Foxit Reader on Windows but the Linux version is no were near as feature rich. I was thinknig of Adobe as a last resort but it takes forever to load and is a memory hog so I really dont want to have to go that route.

Are there any good ones? From what Ive seen on Google it does not seem like there is anything at all that can compare to Windows pdf readers.

I guess as a last resort I would be willing to install a PDF reader that is for KDE if I have to.

credobyte
August 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Adobe Reader works just fine for me ( search for acroread in Add/Remove ).

HermanAB
Kpdf, Xpdf and of course Adobe Reader. It is actually a good idea to install the whole lot, since they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Xpdf is interesting, since it doesn't use the same libraries as everybody else, so it can usually read a file that no other tool can.

sasho_zl
Well, "Okular", the KDE pdf reader is a good one.

binbash
August 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
There is also Foxit PDF Reader

llamabr
August 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Can anyone tell me of a good pdf viewer for a Gnome desktop?? I currently have Evince installed but it has no options whatsoever and I do not like its setup either. I typically use Foxit Reader on Windows but the Linux version is no were near as feature rich. I was thinknig of Adobe as a last resort but it takes forever to load and is a memory hog so I really dont want to have to go that route.

Are there any good ones? From what Ive seen on Google it does not seem like there is anything at all that can compare to Windows pdf readers.

I guess as a last resort I would be willing to install a PDF reader that is for KDE if I have to.

I filed a feature request to evince a few years ago asking for a flag for fullscreen. They said it was a dumb idea, since you can start it, and then press the fullscreen button. They rejected my request. I guess they like reaching over for the mouse more than I do.

Since then, I've used xpdf. It's light, fast, very feature rich, and very configurable. If that's what you mean by 'best' i'd give it a try.

Revolutionary101
August 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I like adobe reader the most.

wayfarer_boy
September 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I just found out that there's a KDE4 version of the fantastic kpdf app. I used to use this as it was feature-rich and reasonably fast (at least evince speed), as well as highly accurate (unlike xpdf which occasionally gets its kerning a little wrong).

The new KDE4 version is called Okular and is in Ubuntu's standard jaunty repos, so can be installed with:
sudo aptitude install okular

Excedio
September 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I guess I just don't understand the need for a feature rich PDF viewer. Evince works as it should, it allows you to view a PDF.

What exactly is everyone else doing that I am not?

pythonscript
September 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
+1 on xpdf. I use that on my ubuntu systems that don't run gnome, and it's fantastic. Very few dependencies, fast start time, etc. If you're looking for something lightweight, that's your solution.

NightwishFan
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I like Evince a lot. The only problem I have with it is that you cannot drag the mouse to scroll the page. Or if you can, I do not know how. I always drag by habit, (Old okular/kpdf user) and a new window opens with whatever picture my mouse is over. A bit annoying but evince is really fast.

Also, you can set up compiz/metacity fullscreen mode to a keyboard shortcut in the GNOME preferences for keyboard shortcuts. I like using ctrl+alt+f. Most apps actually go into "fullscreen mode" if it is available. Other ones just remove the the titlebar and border and stretch over the panels. (Like KDE Kwin fullscreen)

Excedio
September 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I don't know about you all, but F11 sends my Evince into fullscreen. Simpler than a three key combination.

wojox
September 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I like Evince a lot. The only problem I have with it is that you cannot drag the mouse to scroll the page. Or if you can, I do not know how. I always drag by habit, (Old okular/kpdf user) and a new window opens with whatever picture my mouse is over. A bit annoying but evince is really fast.

Also, you can set up compiz/metacity fullscreen mode to a keyboard shortcut in the GNOME preferences for keyboard shortcuts. I like using ctrl+alt+f. Most apps actually go into "fullscreen mode" if it is available. Other ones just remove the the titlebar and border and stretch over the panels. (Like KDE Kwin fullscreen)

I just use my arrow down button in Evince. Sit back and read.

shae
September 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I guess I just don't understand the need for a feature rich PDF viewer. Evince works as it should, it allows you to view a PDF.

This is exactly what I was thinking :confused:

I use Evince all the time and it just works.

wayfarer_boy
September 11th, 2009, 04:18 AM

You're right. I'd be using evince if I didn't need the features.

I work in the creative field, so exporting from pdfs is a must, and although I can use gimp, imagemagick, or sometimes inkscape or scribus to get at the pages of a pdf, I sometimes just need a reader that can export areas of the pdf cleanly and quickly.

okular does this very well by allowing me to make a selection around the area I want to grab, image or text, and copying it to the clipboard. This feature is missing from the other apps. It's also a good pdf reader :)

The thing is, I came to Ubuntu from a Mac background, and I only switched fully to open source around 4 years ago. Since then I've found very few areas where I miss features I had on my Mac - but one of those, however, is a good native pdf reader like Apple's Preview. You could convert any page to a jpg/pdf etc., had fast load time, rendered perfectly, and was nowhere near as bloated as Adobe's appalling osx 10.4 reader app.

I often wonder how often I've had to 'just do' since turning to open source, but when I think about it a bit more, it really isn't that much at all. I'm probably more satisfied and competent with my open system now than I could ever have been with a proprietary OS. I only have a few 'niggles' left...