PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Starting multiple programs at once

sonone
August 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hello,

I am using Ubuntu Studio for some months now, but i still dont know how i can start multiple programs with one click. Can you please help me, it would make working with Ubuntu much easier.

Thank You.

ecmatter
August 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
1. Do you have a bin directory in your home folder? If you do, skip forward to step 2. Otherwise, do the following:

mkdir ~/bin
chmod 755 ~/bin

sudo gedit ~/.bashrc

Add the following to the end of .bashrc and save:

PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

2. Cut and paste the following into a text editor:

#!/bin/bash

firefox
thunderbird

exit
Replace Firefox and Thunderbird with whatever programs you want to open and save as ~/bin/open.sh

chmod 755 ~/bin/open.sh
Create a ~/bin/open.sh launcher on your desktop by right clicking on the desktop > create launcher.

Type: application
Name: open
command: ~/bin/open.sh

click ok

sonone
August 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the tip,

but unfortenately i cant get it working like that. The starter tells my permission denied and if i try to open open.sh itself nothing happens (i used the prorgram names qjackctl and zynaddsubfx).
Maybe its because i didnt saved open.sh via terminal (the terminal didnt wanted to do chmod... it said no such file or directory), but saved it via GUI of gedit into the new created bin folder in my home directory.
I'm not quite familiar with the terminal. Still Windows influenced.

Can you give some more advice please?

ecmatter
August 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not exactly sure, from what you've written, what went wrong.

Go ahead and delete the open.sh file and bin directory you just made and I'll try to walk you through the entire process.

Post back here when you're ready.

sonone
August 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Ok, deleted.

I'm ready for the next try.