PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried the LXDE desktop?

stuart.reinke
August 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yesterday I borked the partition table on my HD with Ubuntu installed.](*,)

Today I installed Xubuntu and LXDE for default desktop.

I'm impressed with LXDE. I find it to be quick, and intuitive to use. It seems to possess the best qualities (my opinion) of KDE yet runs much better on my limited recourses.

I haven't been able to find where to change the theme yet.(maybe there isn't one)

Any way My first impression is favorable. I hope there will be a Lubuntu in the future.

Anyone else have anything to say about LXDE.

p.s. what should I list as my os in my profile over there <----

MasterNetra
August 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Looks alright, too window-ish for me, but make for a better starting environment for those coming from windows for the first time. Though not too overjoyed that in order to install the wireless manager for it, I'd end up removing my KDE & Gnome Wireless manager...Other then that I didn't dig too far into it.

aysiu
August 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I wasn't impressed. Regardless of what theme I used, it would still look ugly and not put together properly.

If I want lightweight speed I'll go with IceWM or OpenBox. Thanks.

jeffathehutt
August 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I use it every day :)

I haven't been able to find where to change the theme yet.(maybe there isn't one)
Try lxappearance to change the theme. I'm not sure if it is installed by default, but I assume it would be in the repositories if not.

I hope there will be a Lubuntu in the future.
A team is working on it right now :)

I like the simplicity and speed. Even though I have a decent computer, I still prefer the lightweight approach lxde takes. It gives you all the power of openbox plus the things most people expect, such as a panel, desktop wallpaper, etc. and it all comes preconfigured for you. Also, since it is so modular, if you don't like something you can just substitute another program in its place.

kk0sse54
August 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
With Debian Lxde idling at 44 MB so far I've been quite impressed with it :)

MasterNetra
August 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I wasn't impressed. Regardless of what theme I used, it would still look ugly and not put together properly.

If I want lightweight speed I'll go with IceWM or OpenBox. Thanks.

Actually it uses openbox i seems, otherwise why would openbox be a dependency?

aysiu
August 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Actually it uses openbox i seems, otherwise why would openbox be a dependency?
Well, since LXDE is a desktop environment and not a window manager, it should use a window manager as part of the whole. My criticism is about the integration factor (visual consistency and transition between desktop, panel, icons, window decorations, and control theming).

chucky chuckaluck
August 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
i like lxappearance, but don't really like the rest associated with it.

XubuRoxMySox
August 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm a fanboy!

At home I use Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org), which uses only Openbox (no desktop environment at all). But I was really surprised to find that LXDE is every bit as fast and lightweight on my computer as "bare bones" Openbox is!

There is a shared "community computer" at the studio that many people share (it has the music on it for the dance routines, choreography notes, etc). Most of them are Winblows users and a few are Mac users, but all of them use the studio computer with equal ease and a sense of "familiarity" and are delighted at it's beauty and exquisite speed (and it's an older Dell). Most of them have no idea they're using Linux unless I tell them. And I usually don't unless they comment on how easy and fast that old dinosaur is. I'm proud to say it has won more than one person over to Linux!

The desktop wallpapers are easy to change. Right-click the desktop, choose Desktop Settings, then Wallpaper. I added a bunch of wallpapers to choose from (just put them in usr/share/lxde/wallpapers).

Themes: Just change the Gnome themes and they're copied to your LXDE settings.

The LXDE web site has been down for a few days... I'm sure when these guys get back from their conference they'll get it up and running again. The forums there have been very active and the project is still in heavy development. Bugs here and there, but nothing to prevent me from using it or being a rabid LXDE fanboy.

-Robin

heroidi
August 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I use LXDE on my restaurant computer it has limited resources

OutOfReach
August 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't feel comfortable using for some reason, honestly I would just rather use stand-alone Openbox

chris4585
August 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
LXDE is awesome.
</end thread>

XubuRoxMySox
August 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't feel comfortable using for some reason, honestly I would just rather use stand-alone Openbox

I know what you mean. An awesome stand-alone Openbox distro (based on Jaunty) is Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org) (abbreviated as #!). Try it from a live CD for a taste of it's power and beauty.

It's sweet, fast, and minimal yet powerful.

-Robin

Dullstar
August 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Trust me, I tried LXDE and was not impressed.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
I run eeebuntu on my eeepc and they are working on a slimmed-down lxde version. Once that is finalized, I'll probably give lxde a shot on my netbook.

Fwiw, I like crunchbang too.

lykwydchykyn
August 3rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't care much to use it for my own desktop, but I've not found anything else that better fits the bill for a complete and easy-for-new-Linux-users-to-understand desktop environment. So I find it useful in some situations, such as for an older computer for the family, or on server where my non-linux-savvy coworkers need to log in and do stuff.

I tried the latest release of the panel and it's much improved from an aesthetics standpoint, though there is still improvement to be done. I just hope it stays light and doesn't feature-creep its way to irrelevance.

arcdrag
August 3rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
I know what you mean. An awesome stand-alone Openbox distro (based on Jaunty) is Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org) (abbreviated as #!). Try it from a live CD for a taste of it's power and beauty.

It's sweet, fast, and minimal yet powerful.

-Robin

Although I've heard lots of good things about crunchbang, for some reason your comment has finally convinced me to go ahead and try it out on my older laptop.

cc8balla
August 3rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
Although I've heard lots of good things about crunchbang, for some reason your comment has finally convinced me to go ahead and try it out on my older laptop.

It is a fantastic next distro if you are just coming from Ubuntu.

I use the minimal Crunchbang, and I could not be happier in a distro. Fits everything I want in a distro:

debian based
openbox (default too!)
no bloat (minimal install is great)
ubuntu repos

HermanAB
August 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
LXDE works great on slower PCs. I run it on a lab machine that has only 256 MB RAM and a 900 MHz processor.

Jesus_Valdez
August 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
How can I remove virtual desktops?

It comes with 2, but honestly I'm a 1 desktop guy.

Thanks

CJ Master
August 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Then only use one desktop? The second one doesn't harm anything. ;)

kerry_s
August 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
i have wasted a couple of days on it, but stability has always been the failing issue for me.
i think it just needs more time to mature, get the bugginess worked out, i'm pretty sure 1 day it will be better than xfce4, just not now. :D

Stan_1936
August 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM
Prefer openbox, but LXDE also seems good from what I've seen .....in terms of screenshots.

chris4585
August 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
to remove the extra desktop launch obconf from either terminal or the run dialog, and go to desktops tab

doorknob60
August 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I love LXDE. It's my favorite DE (second fav is KDE). It's light, fast, has all the features I need, and is stable. There's just not really anything I don't like about it.

HappinessNow
August 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
lxde is quite dead to me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123413&d=1249287534

Jesus_Valdez
August 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
to remove the extra desktop launch obconf from either terminal or the run dialog, and go to desktops tab
Thanks.

Iḿ having a great time with LXDE, I hope their site is back soon.

Mighty_Joe
August 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
lxde is quite dead to me.

It's been down since late last week. I heard about LXDE and tried to go to the site. Not inspiring confidence.

stwschool
August 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
The thing is OpenBox is awesome (I especially love what crunchbang have done with it in 9.04 it just looks beautiful and it's so usable). For some people though a full desktop environment is necessary, and for those people then LXDE is a nice add-on. I personally like it, though I'd not swap Gnome for it. If I swapped Gnome it'd be for OpenBox.

XubuRoxMySox
August 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
It's a server problem or something... I assure y'all, LXDE is alive and well. Only the web site is down, and only temporarily. The project is under heavy development and the LXDE forums have been busy and lively until last week's server crash or whatever. I'm sure they'll be back up soon.

-Robin