PDA

View Full Version : Chromium (Google Chrome dev) 3.0.197.0 (0) has serious upgrades!

Pages : [1] 2

wersdaluv
August 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Chromium is currently on 3.0.197.0 (0) version while Google Chrome (for Linux) is ver 3.0.196.0.

I just upgraded to the latest version and noticed that it has big upgrades. The most noticeable one is the correct window border. On GNOME, it used to have a metacity border. I don't know what the border is called now but it looks like the one on the Windows version without compositing. Another big upgrade is font rendering. Fonts look much nicer now, though they're not perfect in some cases yet but they're manageable enough.

I'm looking forward to a better gtk feel and a more Linux desktop-oriented window border. I just don't know how they're going to put the standard metacity or kwin on this thing. Other than those, the only bugs I noticed so far are the lack of scroll arrows (is that what they call "stepper"?) and the status on the bottom right does not automatically hide on mouse hover.

This could be my default browser on Ubuntu :D

jonathanysp
August 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
oh cool! i just noticed that as well, pretty nice. but i dont really get why google doesnt want the normal borders. It makes it look out of place, even in windows...and doesnt this make it harder to render on the screen? Anyways its getting better and better each release.

i hardly use the stepper things now since theres the scroll wheel and you can still move the scrollbar with middle clicks which is much faster. The only thing left is stable a stable flash plugin!

dragos240
August 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm checking out the latest svn build right now.

eldragon
August 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
oh cool! i just noticed that as well, pretty nice. but i dont really get why google doesnt want the normal borders.

thats easy, they want to asociate what goes on in the browser as your application framework, so they developed a GUI that resembles an operating system, they want people to get used to work within chrome, so that the transition to the google ecosystem isnt too steep in the future.

.Maleficus.
August 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm checking out the latest svn build right now.
Are you using the chromium-browser package from AUR? I see on 64-bit it's still downloading the i386 PPA. Is that right?

Anyways, checking out the latest SVN now as well. I've been using Chrome on Windows 7 for a while now and I love it.

Edit: I'm getting the same error as flammenwurfer (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77135) here. Guess it's time to try the 64-bit PPA and see what happens.

heyyy
August 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
can someone point me to the lauchpad page with browser package in order to install and the add the launchpad repos?

no1wantdthisname
August 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
can someone point me to the lauchpad page with browser package in order to install and the add the launchpad repos?

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

And window decorations can be set be right clicking the area right of the tab bar.

darco
August 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Fantastic...I am running Mint x64 and was having issues w/the x32 flashplayer recently. This new upgrade fixes that....

chromium-browser-3.0.197.0~svn20090801r22243

darco

ubulette
August 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I've just updated the package to remove its HTML5 codecs. The debacle between Apple, Google and Mozilla made me create two separate codec packages:

- chromium-codecs-ffmpeg with ogg, vorbis and theora
- chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree with the 3 above + H.264, MP3 and AAC

(the reason non-free includes the free codecs is that ffmpeg ships that within the same files).

The two packages conflict with each other. The free one will be installed by default (you have to dist/safe-upgrade).

Note: you need to wait for todays build for this to happen (>= 3.0.197.0~svn20090802r22252), don't update manually, it won't work.

(this will impact Arch, they seem to only repack the main deb)

darco
August 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I've just updated the package to remove its HTML5 codecs. The debacle between Apple, Google and Mozilla made me create two separate codec packages:

- chromium-codecs-ffmpeg with ogg, vorbis and theora
- chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree with the 3 above + H.264, MP3 and AAC

(the reason non-free includes the free codecs is that ffmpeg ships that within the same files).

The two packages conflict with each other. The free one will be installed by default (you have to dist/safe-upgrade).

Note: you need to wait for todays build for this to happen (>= 3.0.197.0~svn20090802r22252), don't update manually, it won't work.

(this will impact Arch, they seem to only repack the main deb)

Wow, its nice to have a Developer from Chromium in these forums!
Great job...I wish Chromium would develop a x64 bit browser but I already read why they arent at this stage....

darco

ubulette
August 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I wish Chromium would develop a x64 bit browser but I already read why they arent at this stage....

I have a prototype locally, it's almost there. I will update the packaging (used for the PPA) as soon as it's usable.

wersdaluv
August 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
oh cool! i just noticed that as well, pretty nice. but i dont really get why google doesnt want the normal borders. It makes it look out of place, even in windows...and doesnt this make it harder to render on the screen? Anyways its getting better and better each release.

i hardly use the stepper things now since theres the scroll wheel and you can still move the scrollbar with middle clicks which is much faster. The only thing left is stable a stable flash plugin!
Yep. Stable flash plugin could be a deal breaker. The nice thing about their window border is that it saves screen space. Chrome and Chromium wants to be as minimalistic as possible

rajcan
August 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Yep. Stable flash plugin could be a deal breaker. The nice thing about their window border is that it saves screen space. Chrome and Chromium wants to be as minimalistic as possible

Well they're getting that, and even other browsers have picked up on that. Look at the new Safari 4 :D. My default browser on my XP vm.

hanzomon4
August 3rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
Screenshot?

RATM_Owns
August 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Are you using the chromium-browser package from AUR?
The chromium-snapshot packages I made in the AUR which had 3 votes when I gave it to a guy now has like, 220 votes. :P

Here's my little Chromium updating script (downloads zip file from chromium.org).
http://pastebin.com/f64a96676

Run it whenever. :P
It will unpack it into chrome-linux folder, then delete and replace it when you update it.

Improvements are welcome because it's a pretty crappy script. And it's written pretty ugly (by my terms, at least).

Chemical Imbalance
August 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
screenshot?

+1

keiichidono
August 3rd, 2009, 01:27 AM
+1

+2

Regenweald
August 3rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
my gnome window colour is grey though :)

For those in karmic and who'd like to use the ppa, this command will sort you out.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily

Chemical Imbalance
August 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM

Woohoo
\\:D/

sertse
August 3rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Umm, I'm sure native Chrome borders (as opposed to your WM) has been around for quite a while. The checkbox to switch between your WM and chrome native was available when you right clicked the tab bar etc. The recent change was only to make it default.

The other changes are quitw recent though, I'll agree. Chrome would be my default browser but for this bug. The thought that sites could be blacklisted without a way to undo them is a show stopper for me.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=15247

penguindrive
August 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Chromium gets 4405 for me on the peacekeeper benchmark, the highest score I have observed.
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

MikeTheC
August 3rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, 3.0.196 is out for Mac OS X as well. I just installed it and I'm running it right now.

It's definitely one fast little browser. However, it's still miles away from being complete, and at least as far away from me switching to it. But, heck, one day... you never know.

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2009, 04:37 AM
Chromium gets 4405 for me on the peacekeeper benchmark, the highest score I have observed.
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
What sort of machine are you running that on? Best my copy of Chrome manages is 1833.
(3.0.196.0 on a Pentium D 2.8Ghs, 2GB, 9400GT)

hanzomon4
August 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM

For those in karmic and who'd like to use the ppa, this command will sort you out.

YaY

Vrekk
August 3rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
For me Chromium laned a score of 1942 while firefox 3.5 got a 813 :D

(2.66ghz PD dual core, 2GB ram, 8500gt, 64bit arch)

.Maleficus.
August 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
The chromium-snapshot packages I made in the AUR which had 3 votes when I gave it to a guy now has like, 220 votes. :P

Here's my little Chromium updating script (downloads zip file from chromium.org).
http://pastebin.com/f64a96676

Run it whenever. :P
It will unpack it into chrome-linux folder, then delete and replace it when you update it.

Improvements are welcome because it's a pretty crappy script. And it's written pretty ugly (by my terms, at least).
Awesome, I'll install that tomorrow when I boot up Arch next, thanks for the heads up.

days_of_ruin
August 3rd, 2009, 05:53 AM

That's a sweet command, does it automatically get the key for you?
lp + ubuntu = EPIC WIN!

penguindrive
August 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM
What sort of machine are you running that on? Best my copy of Chrome manages is 1833.
(3.0.196.0 on a Pentium D 2.8Ghs, 2GB, 9400GT)

An intel core 2 duo e7300 OC'd to 3.0ghz, 2 gb ddr2 ram, 8600gt.:)

Giant Speck
August 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I could definitely make the switch if Java worked.

Did anyone else notice the option to get themes directly from Google?

kpkeerthi
August 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Can chrome/chromium block Ads?

OutOfReach
August 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Did anyone else notice the option to get themes directly from Google?

Yep, but apparently the page doesn't exist yet.

Giant Speck
August 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Yep, but apparently the page doesn't exist yet.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

I don't like the way Chromium looks when it tries to use my GTK theme, but I'd be willing to try out a couple themes from their website when they do eventually put it up.

Dobbie03
August 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
what puts me off is that I cant get flash to work otherwise I would use Chromium.

Giant Speck
August 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
what puts me off is that I cant get flash to work otherwise I would use Chromium.

Take a good look at my thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207863

There is some really helpful information in there.

hugmenot
August 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Can anyone point me to a page that shows HTML5 embedded video to be working?

I’ve got ffmpeg-non-free installed from the repo, but any page with a video element I visit just downloads the file. No playback.

wersdaluv
August 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Mine's weird. I made a correct flashplugin-alternative.so link. It worked without that, btw. I just had to "--enable-plugins".

Now, I have the right firefox flashplugin-alternative.so link and the "--enable-plugins" flag. Flash videos play without sound. Any idea? :)

darco
August 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Can chrome/chromium block Ads?

Yes...
Clink on a crx link (such as adsweep) and browse to chrome://extensions/ to check installation.

darco

bluebyt
August 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Can someone confirm this bug, it happen to me on my favorite website Deviantart.

1-Go to DeviantArt: http://www.deviantart.com/

2-Navigate throught the menu example:Customization/Skin & themes

3- Click on any theme and go back one page.

Bug :The browser go back to the main page of Deviantart.

Let me know, I will post this bug later.

Giant Speck
August 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Can someone confirm this bug, it happen to me on my favorite website Deviantart.

1-Go to DeviantArt: http://www.deviantart.com/

2-Navigate throught the menu example:Customization/Skin & themes

3- Click on any theme and go back one page.

Bug :The browser go back to the main page of Deviantart.

Let me know, I will post this bug later.

That's not a Chromium bug. That's a deviantART bug. I've had that very same thing happen in Firefox.

bluebyt
August 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
That's not a Chromium bug. That's a deviantART bug. I've had that very same thing happen in Firefox.

Nope never happened with firefox.

Edit: I just tried with Opera,Midori and it working good, only occurred when I used Chromium.

killthepoor187
August 4th, 2009, 05:03 AM
For those wondering about the new theme support, there are two available (to my knowledge). Go here (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10299814-12.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheDownloadBlog) (cnet.com) to check them out.

Hopefully the official themes page will be up soon. :D

I ran a couple of benchmarks and chromium beat the crap out of ff 3.5.2 by a country mile. And as far as stability goes, the most I've had to do was hit the reload button, and it's so fast it doesn't even matter. :P

Chromium is my new linux browser at this point. Alpha tag be damned, 3.0.197.0 is working like a champ for me. :D

moster
August 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Is there any way to block ads in chromium? I find it at least double faster on nmy box and I would like to SWITCH :)

Giant Speck
August 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
For those wondering about the new theme support, there are two available (to my knowledge). Go here (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10299814-12.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheDownloadBlog) (cnet.com) to check them out.

Hopefully the official themes page will be up soon. :D

I like the idea of a color chooser.

quazi
August 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Chromium seems more or less suitable for general use right now. For me, the only advantage that firefox has is its extensions (and it actually uses my emerald theme. Chromium refuses to do so).

ubulette
August 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Can anyone point me to a page that shows HTML5 embedded video to be working?

I’ve got ffmpeg-non-free installed from the repo, but any page with a video element I visit just downloads the file. No playback.

it's a known upstream bug, see http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18329. If you want to help, you may star the bug, its priority could raise.

Chemical Imbalance
August 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I love this browser. It is wicked fast (to judge my enthusiasm, I've never used the word "wicked" before :) ).

Firefox crawls compared to Chromium.

I will be switching when it is released provided NoScript or something similar is compatible with it.

Screen:

edit: Does DNS prefetching have any disadvantages anyone can think of?

Regenweald
August 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Chromium seems more or less suitable for general use right now. For me, the only advantage that firefox has is its extensions (and it actually uses my emerald theme. Chromium refuses to do so).

i use emerald also, but because of the space saving design of chromium, i hope that there is a final option to accept the theme colours but ignore the window manager. I REALLY love the default when maximized.

quazi
August 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
i use emerald also, but because of the space saving design of chromium, i hope that there is a final option to accept the theme colours but ignore the window manager. I REALLY love the default when maximized.

Well, I like the look Chrome has in Windows 7 (transparent title bar).

So, the first site I've found to not work with the most up to date version of chromium is espn.com.

Giant Speck
August 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Omg themes are working!

JillSwift
August 5th, 2009, 12:29 AM
When is this supposed to show up on the PPA? And if it has... why ain't I seeing it?

I want the fun, too!

matthew.ball
August 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM
There was a problem with the previous release where the Back/Return/Refresh buttons didn't update properly it appears to be fixed.

But, I have some creepy guy's face as my quit button? lol

wersdaluv
August 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
There was a problem with the previous release where the Back/Return/Refresh buttons didn't update properly it appears to be fixed.

But, I have some creepy guy's face as my quit button? lol
Screenshot! :D

darco
August 5th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Screenshot! :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1231674

darco

cc8balla
August 5th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Right click on the titlebar > uncheck the box that says "Use System Title Bar and Borders"

Then go to Options > Personal Stuff > Set to GTK theme

Problem solved :P

Regenweald
August 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Right click on the titlebar > uncheck the box that says "Use System Title Bar and Borders"

Then go to Options > Personal Stuff > Set to GTK theme

Problem solved :P

Great stuff man, thanks a lot :)
I totally read your post, tried it out, thought: 'oh cool' then read the ENTIRE post and realized you were replying to me in the first place! lol.
It's that time of night :)

wersdaluv
August 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
OMG I GOT THE GUY's FACE TOO! LOL

captaincrook
August 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Any chance for an exif reader and potentially better adblock?

matthew.ball
August 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
OMG I GOT THE GUY's FACE TOO! LOL
An easy fix, http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7735526&postcount=54

cc8balla
August 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Great stuff man, thanks a lot :)
I totally read your post, tried it out, thought: 'oh cool' then read the ENTIRE post and realized you were replying to me in the first place! lol.
It's that time of night :)
Hahah :P

mrgnash
August 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yes...
Clink on a crx link (such as adsweep) and browse to chrome://extensions/ to check installation.

darco

Google Chrome/Chromium only asks if you want to save a .crx file, rather than installing it.

wingnux
August 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM
3.0.198 is out! =)

wersdaluv
August 6th, 2009, 04:53 AM
3.0.198 is out! =)
Where did you get that? The chromium PPA doesnt release it yet

darco
August 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
its there now!

darco

wersdaluv
August 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
its there now!

darco
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main #Chromium Daily <- here?

I dont have it :(

EDIT:
Oh. No 64bit package yet

el-mar01
August 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Does anyone else have the problem where you scroll a page that contains flash it scrolls REALLY slowly ?? (I'm using the NVIDIA 190.18.03 drivers) .. a page with flash scrolls fine in Firefox.

OutOfReach
August 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Does anyone else have the problem where you scroll a page that contains flash it scrolls REALLY slowly ?? (I'm using the NVIDIA 190.18.03 drivers) .. a page with flash scrolls fine in Firefox.
Indeed it is somewhat sluggish, especially on a page with multiple flash videos embedded. Hopefully it'll be improved later on

wersdaluv
August 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Same here

moster
August 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I have different problem. Look at occupied memory after surfing little with few tabs open. I usually have 300/2000 and after chromium, even if I close it I get around 800/2000 occupied.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Weirdly enough, I have that problem in Firefox but not in Chromium.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Oooh! They changed the close, minimize, and maximize buttons! They look less like Vista!

keiichidono
August 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Oooh! They changed the close, minimize, and maximize buttons! They look less like Vista!

Screenshot or GTFO.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Screenshot or GTFO.

Screenshot attached! :D

The buttons are the same for any theme.

keiichidono
August 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Screenshot attached! :D

The buttons are the same for any theme.

Awesome. :cool:

Dougie187
August 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
It appears they have removed Glen's face from the exit button as well?

Maybe they got tired of bug reports about it. For some reason my ppa isn't updating. Maybe it will soon.

wersdaluv
August 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
It appears they have removed Glen's face from the exit button as well?

Maybe they got tired of bug reports about it. For some reason my ppa isn't updating. Maybe it will soon.
There's no 64bit package yet. Perhaps, you're on a 64bit Ubuntu

JillSwift
August 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'm using 32 bit, and the PPA hasn't updated for me since 3.0.196.0

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Are you just waiting for Update Manager to notify you of the update or are you actually opening a terminal and updating it manually? Because that's what I had to do to update to 3.0.198.0.

Dougie187
August 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I am, so I think I missed that earlier in the thread. Though, I didn't think the 64 bit package updated. I thought there was a 32 bit browser, and then some 64 bit compatibility libraries.

Mainly because there were more packages you had to install on 64 than just chromium-browser. Also though, 64 bit flash doesn't work, I have to use the 32 bit one in chromium. But I may have just done something wrong for that.

wersdaluv
August 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
You must be using Chrome instead of Chromium.

Dougie187
August 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
It would appear as if the 64 bit version was upgraded finally.

darco
August 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It would appear as if the 64 bit version was upgraded finally.

Well its FOR the x64 OS but its NOT an x64 browser...

darco

*edit* maybe Im wrong.....checking the ppa site

Regenweald
August 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Well its FOR the x64 OS but its NOT an x64 browser...

darco

*edit* maybe Im wrong.....checking the ppa site

Still depends on ia32libs, maybe the full 64bit is not ready yet.

Incense
August 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Running the latest build, and it's really nice. So far stable, fast, and it looks great. Nice having a normal close button again.

Chemical Imbalance
August 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Running 'chromium-browser --enable-plugins' doesn't get flash working for me. I'm on 64 bit btw.

Yes, flash is installed through the repos for Firefox.

Do you have to manually create a link to chromium from firefox's plugins or is 'enable-plugins' enough?

Oh, and I like the new buttons much better, especially since mr.evil eye is gone.

ubulette
August 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
since yesterday, you can have a localized Chromium.

I've introduced chromium-browser-l10n supporting ~50 languages:
ar, bg, bn, ca, cs, da, de, el, en-GB, es-419, es, et, fi, fil, fr, gu, he,
hi, hr, hu, id, it, ja, kn, ko, lt, lv, ml, mr, nb, nl, or, pl, pt-BR, pt-PT,
ro, ru, sk, sl, sr, sv, ta, te, th, tr, uk, vi, zh-CN, zh-TW

It is optional and *not* needed if your desktop is in en-US.

hyperdude111
August 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Running 'chromium-browser --enable-plugins' doesn't get flash working for me. I'm on 64 bit btw.

Do you have to manually create a link to chromium from firefox's plugins or is 'enable-plugins' enough?

Oh, and I like the new buttons much better, especially since mr.evil eye is gone.

Because 64bit is actually using the 32bit browser under ia32 libs flash wont work. Im just waiting for them to make a native 64 bit browser.

Regenweald
August 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Because 64bit is actually using the 32bit browser under ia32 libs flash wont work. Im just waiting for them to make a native 64 bit browser.

me too, patiently i might add. Chromium, even in it's development state, seems to be the premier webkit implementation. In under 2 weeks it's become my default browser with opera as a backup.

the ia32libs are kind of big so i'll welcome true 64bit when it arrives :) updates on a 35down connection can be agonizing :)

OutOfReach
August 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
since yesterday, you can have a localized Chromium.

I've introduced chromium-browser-l10n supporting ~50 languages:
ar, bg, bn, ca, cs, da, de, el, en-GB, es-419, es, et, fi, fil, fr, gu, he,
hi, hr, hu, id, it, ja, kn, ko, lt, lv, ml, mr, nb, nl, or, pl, pt-BR, pt-PT,
ro, ru, sk, sl, sr, sv, ta, te, th, tr, uk, vi, zh-CN, zh-TW

It is optional and *not* needed if your desktop is in en-US.

Nice, thanks for your hard work :)

Chemical Imbalance
August 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Ah, I forgot about that--thanks.

I guess my eee is getting some Chromium-love next then.

ubulette
August 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Im just waiting for them to make a native 64 bit browser.

it's getting close. I'll sure shift the PPA to native once it's ready.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Still waiting for Java... :?

Regenweald
August 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
it's getting close. I'll sure shift the PPA to native once it's ready.

take your time :) 32bit libs or not, chromium is the fastest browser I've ever used. Gives usable browsing even when torrents are choking my bandwith.

darco
August 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM

You can dump an x32 flash into the chromimum/plugins folder and it works fine...thats how i have it setup....

darco

darco
August 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
In under 2 weeks it's become my default browser with opera as a backup.

Heh, just like me! Hope its the x64 bit Opera 10b, right?

darco

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I'm on 64 bit. Flash videos don't have sound :| any idea?

donniezazen
August 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Fully agree i am using 3.0.198.0 and its far better than chrome.

Regenweald
August 7th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Heh, just like me! Hope its the x64 bit Opera 10b, right?

darco

But of course! :) I have the latest build site bookmarked and check periodically, but no new builds for a while now...latest seems to be 4453 in qt4.

Edit; sorry to derail guys....

darco
August 7th, 2009, 05:27 AM
But of course! :) I have the latest build site bookmarked and check periodically, but no new builds for a while now...latest seems to be 4453 in qt4.

Edit; sorry to derail guys....

4520 came out a few days ago....

darco

Dougie187
August 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
With the new update it appears that facebook's security token has been revoked. Chrome doesn't like the idea of logging into facebook now.

Not that I care, but it's kind of funny.

Giant Speck
August 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
With the new update it appears that facebook's security token has been revoked. Chrome doesn't like the idea of logging into facebook now.

Not that I care, but it's kind of funny.

I'm on 3.0.198.0 and I was able to log into Facebook just fine.

OutOfReach
August 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I can confirm the problem with security certificates, I've tried with Myspace and Xbox Live, seems like it denies every site with an https connection.
I'm also using 3.0.198.0

darco
August 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I just updated chromium (22729)and tested my wife's face book....

The server's security certificate is revoked!
You attempted to reach login.facebook.com, but the certificate that the server presented has been revoked by its issuer. This means that the security credentials the server presented absolutely should not be trusted. You may be communicating with an attacker. You should not proceed.

heh

darco

sertse
August 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Chrome would be my default browser but for this bug. The thought that sites could be blacklisted without a way to undo them is a show stopper for me.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=15247

This pet bug was fixed yestersday. However, the latest updates brought this annoying bug ;)

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18602

...Which is fixed and probably solved when the PPA gets the next daily build.

I also experience the https/certificate errr when accessing facebook. Hope it gets fixed soon.

darco
August 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Latest build has not fixed the https issue.....

darco

ubulette
August 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Latest build has not fixed the https issue.....

not built yet, just watch https://edge.launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa (Build status needs to be green).

darco
August 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
not built yet, just watch https://edge.launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa (Build status needs to be green).

Thanks ubulette...updated,all is well......

darco

mrgnash
August 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM
The official Google Chrome "unstable" branch seems to have been updated to 197 as well now, and I can already notice a lot of improvements/bug-fixes. Really great to see this project steaming ahead on Linux, as I used this browser extensively when I was forced to use Windows for a few months, and even at this stage of development it's totally awesome. All it needs now are vi key-bindings a-la Vimperator :P

Tipped OuT
August 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Has Chrome crashed on anyone yet? Chrome always becomes unresponisive after sometime of using it, and I can't close it, or do anything to it, it's just stuck there.

wersdaluv
August 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
It does for me, because of flash

Regenweald
August 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Has Chrome crashed on anyone yet? Chrome always becomes unresponisive after sometime of using it, and I can't close it, or do anything to it, it's just stuck there.

I don't use flash, but sometimes a page will just get stuck and unresponsive in which case i just close the tab and start fresh. This is not a frequent thing though.

moster
August 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM

No, but uses ton of memory. It seems it has some leaks.

wingnux
August 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
3.0.201 is out! =)

Btw, does anyone know where can I read the changelog of those svn builds?

nortexoid
August 11th, 2009, 11:41 PM

I really like the controls (radio buttons, scroll bars, etc.) used by chromium especially when using a dark theme, because dark themes NEVER work with firefox (and using custom CSS files are never quite satisfactory). But it would be nice to have chromium adopt all GTK elements, not just the window borders, which it doesn't even adopt properly.

One problem I've encountered using Emerald is that middle clicking anywhere in a chromium window displays backgrounds windows (from non-chromium apps) as it would if you clicked only on the title bar. In essence, the whole window has the behavior of a title bar on middle click! This is lame since default behavior for middle click is also opening links in new tab. Middle clicking links causes the link to open in a new tab but also displays all background windows.

Update: apparently the bug I mentioned above with emerald is fixed in the latest build (after 3.0.198.0).

nortexoid
August 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Are you just waiting for Update Manager to notify you of the update or are you actually opening a terminal and updating it manually? Because that's what I had to do to update to 3.0.198.0.

How'd you update manually? There's a bug fix in the 3.9.201.0 release that I need. I'm updating from 3.0.198.0.

hyperdude111
August 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
How'd you update manually? There's a bug fix in the 3.9.201.0 release that I need. I'm updating from 3.0.198.0.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

Chemical Imbalance
August 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I wish Chromium had a 'dump all cookies and privacy data upon close' function like firefox.
It annoys me having to clear this manually each time I close chromium.

I would like to see a bookmarks menu button on the default toolbar too instead of having to hit ctrl+b every time (the bookmarks toolbar is way to big to keep on all the time).

nortexoid
August 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

Thanks very much!

Giant Speck
August 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Still no Java. :(

darco
August 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Things are moving along quickly....

hellmet
August 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Very quickly.. And I'm really loving it! The main thing being its Open-source and without a EULA!
I just wish Google released the source code for GTalk.

renkinjutsu
August 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I wish Chromium had a 'dump all cookies and privacy data upon close' function like firefox.
It annoys me having to clear this manually each time I close chromium.

I would like to see a bookmarks menu button on the default toolbar too instead of having to hit ctrl+b every time (the bookmarks toolbar is way to big to keep on all the time).

then you should just use the incognito mode by default..
also, the bookmark bar can be hidden.. ctrl+b toggles it

Chemical Imbalance
August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM

I know, I mentioned that. It's annoying to have to toggle it. There should be a button, say next to the refresh button, that gives you the bookmarks menu.

MarcusW
August 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one having problems with the download speed from the PPA? Seems to almost stop completely after a while. :S

Regenweald
August 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Chromium seems to have trimmed a lot of fat, ppa download down to 14+ as opposed to 18+ megs. And always getting faster. What's going on under the hood ? :)

MarcusW
August 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Now it works. :D What is the real difference between Chromium and Chrome? I mean, the "about" page seems kinda sketchy, seems like "chrome" is just switched to "chromium".

hyperdude111
August 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hmm, i cant upgrade chromium.

Apparently a dependency I have not had a problem with so far is now an issue.

lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.4.0) but 4.3.3-5ubuntu4 is to be installed

Weird thing is I cant find the version of the dependency they're talking about anywhere.

EDIT:
Ahh, apptitiude install works but not apt-get install.

MellonCollie
August 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Now it works. :D What is the real difference between Chromium and Chrome?

Chromium is the name we have given to the open source project and the browser source code that we released and maintain at www.chromium.org. One can compile this source code to get a fully working browser. Google takes this source code, and adds on the Google name and logo, an auto-updater system called GoogleUpdate, and RLZ (described later in this post), and calls this Google Chrome.

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/google-chrome-chromium-and-google.html

MarcusW
August 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
So then Chromium is basically Chrome but without the EULA and a few minor differences? I'm looking forward to when Chromium has the same "abilities" as Firefox. I really like Chromium, both the speed and the ease of use. Firefox just seems to get slower for each version while all supporters say "Wow, new FF is fast!". :P

EDIT: The fact that chromium.org redirected to google code confused me in the same way the "about" page did though. ^^

adalal
August 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
So, when is Java going to be supported for this?... That is literally the only thing I'm waiting for.

graaant
August 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
So, when is Java going to be supported for this?... That is literally the only thing I'm waiting for.

Does java work with --enable-plugins?

Katalog
August 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
then you should just use the incognito mode by default..

I know, I mentioned that. It's annoying to have to toggle it. There should be a button, say next to the refresh button, that gives you the bookmarks menu.

TOTALLY agree. I love Chromium to death (typing this reply from it right now), but it drives me nuts that you can't customize the toolbar. ](*,)

Katalog
August 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Interesting question. When I type "about: plugins" in the toolbar it says that the Java plugins are enabled, but it doesn't seem to work on any of the Java test suites I've tried out. :confused:

misfitpierce
August 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
4.0.202.0 (23528)
I got that build and cant seem to download themes for it or it just shuts down and restarts which is odd... Oh well!

mrgnash
August 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
4.0.202.0 (23528)
I got that build and cant seem to download themes for it or it just shuts down and restarts which is odd... Oh well!

The themes are only for Windows at the moment.

hyperdude111
August 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
The themes are only for Windows at the moment.

I have themes, just wait i'll attach a screenshot.

hyperdude111
August 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
It wont let me edit the post with a screenshot so i'll post again.

mrgnash
August 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
It wont let me edit the post with a screenshot so i'll post again.

Oh ok. I stand corrected :oops:

Ric_NYC
August 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
How to install themes... (no command line needed.... :) )

Tools (the wrench icon on the right) > Options > Personal Stuff tab > Get Themes... Choose the theme you like... it will change the theme without restarting Chromium.

hanzomon4
August 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM
This is one sick browser... Only issues because it's 32bit my qtcurve or whatever controls the look of gtk apps in kde doesn't work and I've got no sound in flash videos.

gjoellee
August 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
4.0.202.0 (23528)

Hmmm....I can use themes with that version :confused:

hanzomon4
August 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Take that back sound works... buggy behavior in ubuntu regarding the mute key (for real I had to press mute then raise the volume, if I just pressed the unmute key the volume bar would go up but no sound would be heard)

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Still. No. Java...

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Anyone having problems with downloads in build 4.0.202.0 (23607)? seems to hard exit on clicking of a download link.

graaant
August 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Latest build 23670 seems to use gtk+ theme properly now in Kubuntu. Doesn't look so ugly. Definitely a big plus! :)

ubulette
August 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Since last night (>= 4.0.203.0~), the Ubuntu amd64 debs are native x64 builds. No ia32 anymore. Hopefully, that would mean a better user experience.

if you've added some symlinks manually, you may have issues with the corresponding plugins. Try to remove them all, Chromium already knows where to look for system & user plugins.

If you find regressions, please file bugs following this procedure (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Debug)

Note: you can remove ia32-libs-chromium-browser if you want, it's no longer needed.

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Since last night (>= 4.0.203.0~), the Ubuntu amd64 debs are native x64 builds. No ia32 anymore. Hopefully, that would mean a better user experience.

if you've added some symlinks manually, you may have issues with the corresponding plugins. Try to remove them all, Chromium already knows where to look for system & user plugins.

If you find regressions, please file bugs following this procedure (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Debug)

Note: you can remove ia32-libs-chromium-browser if you want, it's no longer needed.

You really were not joking when you said native 64 bit was coming soon, thanks so much. Aptitude removed ia32 in the upgrade, imagine my surprise. Chromium is immediately responding faster.

How can one remove symlinks ?

hanzomon4
August 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Dude... :guitar:

alphaniner
August 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to enable auto-scrolling?

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
That's a sweet command, does it automatically get the key for you?
lp + ubuntu = EPIC WIN!

Guess you know by now, but yes it does :) sorry i missed the question man.
Talk about tardy!

darco
August 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM

sweet.. just added the x64 flashplayer and it rocks w/chromium....great job!

alphaniner
August 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
To anyone who is having trouble installing a theme, I don't know if this is news but I was able to install themes by clicking on the name or pic in the Themes Gallery, then right-clicking 'Apply this theme' and selecting 'save link as...'.

-
In other news: Anyone else having trouble editing a post (here) using Chromium? The little spinny-doodle appears but nothing else happens...

renkinjutsu
August 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
To anyone who is having trouble installing a theme, I don't know if this is news but I was able to install themes by clicking on the name or pic in the Themes Gallery, then right-clicking 'Apply this theme' and selecting 'save link as...'.

-
In other news: Anyone else having trouble editing a post (here) using Chromium? The little spinny-doodle appears but nothing else happens...

just click "apply this theme" and it'll start downloading.. once it finishes, it applies the theme automatically

alphaniner
August 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
just click "apply this theme" and it'll start downloading.. once it finishes, it applies the theme automatically

For me, that causes Chromium to crash. And I got the impression I'm not the only one.

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
For me, that causes Chromium to crash. And I got the impression I'm not the only one.

I'd like to submit a bug trace, but the reporting package is 120 megs :( on a good day i get 30kb down... Any download seems to trigger the crash.

alphaniner
August 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'd like to submit a bug trace, but the reporting package is 120 megs :( on a good day i get 30kb down... Any download seems to trigger the crash.

Have you tried using ]right-click -> Save as...[ to download?

darco
August 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I had a theme running prior to this latest upgrade and it works fine. When I do try to change the theme I get this error:

darco

Katalog
August 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Interesting question. When I type "about: plugins" in the toolbar it says that the Java plugins are enabled, but it doesn't seem to work on any of the Java test suites I've tried out. :confused:

Hm. Java must be enabled after all. I have libv8 and all that installed, but it doesn't show anything on any of the "official" Java test suites. But if I run the V8 or Sunspider tests, I do get results, so it must be working, right? :???:

darco
August 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hm. Java must be enabled after all. I have libv8 and all that installed, but it doesn't show anything on any of the "official" Java test suites. But if I run the V8 or Sunspider tests, I do get results, so it must be working, right? :???:

ya, you're right...hmmm.

darco
August 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I wanted to edit my previous comment but just like alphaniner says, its not working...
I wanted to mention that about:plugins now shows all plugins as it would if you ran that command in FF. Java is there , will test though..

darco

alphaniner
August 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I can't view darco's image, it just darkens the visible part of the page when clicked.

darco
August 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I wanted to edit my previous comment but just like alphaniner says, its not working...
I wanted to mention that about:plugins now shows all plugins as it would if you ran that command in FF. Java is there , will test though..

darco

*edit* I didnt double post ...chromimum is wacked, has a mind of its own..doing this from FF....

sandyd
August 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
ain't it at 4.0 now?
thats what the upgrade that i just did said....

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Have you tried using ]right-click -> Save as...[ to download?

Shamefully, that did not even dawn on me :) but yeah, that works..clicking on a download link still does not. maybe with tomorrows updates, if it persists i'll bite the bullet and grab the bug report package.

Copernicus1234
August 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Funny, tried installing the browser and it said I needed the chrome ffmpeg stuff. Tried installing that and it said I needed the browser.

Dont have the time for this. :)

hyperdude111
August 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Funny, tried installing the browser and it said I needed the chrome ffmpeg stuff. Tried installing that and it said I needed the browser.

Dont have the time for this. :)

Install them both at the same time, put " && " between commands.

itreius
August 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Just found this via reddit. If you're annoyed by the dev page that shows up right after launching Chromium, you can get rid of it by adding this to the icon/launch command.

chrome://newtab

In which case, the full command would be

chromium-browser --enable-plugins chrome://newtab

No more of that tedious dev page, yay. :)

sandyd
August 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
My google chrome [see screenshot] says its version 4.0 . however, the google blog (at this time) only has a changelog for google chrome 4 / windows???

sandyd
August 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
WAIT!! oops. don't click the screenshot attachment if your using chrome. for me, it threw a the black screen over the page... but no picture appeared! had to reload the page to post this. then realized that chrome was so buggy, it couldn't use quickedit. aww....

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Javascript != Java

moster
August 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
What is wrong? hit ALT+F2 and type
chromium-browser --enable-plugins
Everything is working just fine.

Giant Speck
August 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM
What is wrong? hit ALT+F2 and type
chromium-browser --enable-pluginsEverything is working just fine.

Um, no it's not. Java is not working yet, unless you have some magical Chromium browser in which Java (NOT JAVASCRIPT) works...

Ric_NYC
August 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Quake Live doesn't work on Chrome.

I used Firefox to install the plugin...
BTW what kind of plugin is that?

hanzomon4
August 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Um, no it's not. Java is not working yet, unless you have some magical Chromium browser in which Java (NOT JAVASCRIPT) works...

What is java used for?

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
What is java used for?

Crap like Blackboard (http://www.blackboard.com/).

Chemical Imbalance
August 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Like the OP, does anybody know the changelog for the recent update.

It's at 4.0 now.

ubulette
August 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Like the OP, does anybody know the changelog for the recent update.

It's at 4.0 now.

the closest thing to a human readable changelog is http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/
it's about Chrome, not Chromium but the delta is minimum.
It's a few days (often 1 week) behind the PPA.

gatorbrit
August 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
I successfully installed chromium, but when I fire it up I get this. Any suggestions?

Cheers

ubulette
August 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
I successfully installed chromium, but when I fire it up I get this. Any suggestions?

it means the renderer for that particular tab crashed.
difficult to say more from a screenshot, without more information.
You may have some clues if you start in a terminal.
If you want to go to the bottom of it, please follow the instruction there: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Debug

gatorbrit
August 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
This is what I get in the terminal when I try to refresh a page. Sometimes I get a very brief glimpse of the page before the blue "Aw Snap" page.

[10422:10422:5320556205:ERROR:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-4.0.203.0~svn20090820r23815/build-tree/src/chrome/common/temp_scaffolding_stubs.h(72)] Not implemented reached in bool printing::PrintViewManager::OnRenderViewGone(Rende rViewHost*)

moster
August 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM

Yes... I did not even try java :)
Well, at least they delete that guy from right corner, obviously they are working something :)

Giant Speck
August 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Yes... I did not even try java :)
Well, at least they delete that guy from right corner, obviously they are working something :)

Yeah, and at the same time, they removed those horrible looking Vista buttons.

hyperdude111
August 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Now support NATIVE 64 bit.

ubulette
August 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Starting from todays build, the 'inspector' module is no longer installed by default with Chromium if you use the Ubuntu PPA. As it is most probably only useful for web developers, I moved it to a dedicated package called chromium-browser-inspector. If you need it, just install it, otherwise, it saves you some download and disk space. This is similar to what I did with the chromium-browser-l10n package, useful for non en-US users.

wersdaluv
August 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, and at the same time, they removed those horrible looking Vista buttons.
I'm on the latest version at this time of writing, 4.0.203.0 (24081). The application shortcut feature is really cool but it doesn't work for me. Clicking "Create application shortcuts" from the menu asks me if I want to make a shortcut on the desktop but it doesn't make one even if I press "Create".

Any idea how to make this work? What code would run a webapp into a Chromium app so I can make the shortcuts myself?

I find this better than Prism.

Regenweald
August 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
@ Ubulette, the FAQ needs to be updated. linux AND 64bit architectures are now well supported thanks to your hard work. :P
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/faq

mybunche
August 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM
After reading this article from Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/08/chromium-popularity-rising-on-ubuntu-gains-64-bit-support.ars
I added the PPA for Ubuntu 8.04 and installed, started and imported my Firefox settings, enabled flash with --enable-plugins on startup command.

And, WOW! This is fast, uses alot less CPU, accesses the hard drive way less, so far running with no problems.

A few hassles such as bookmarks still needs work, and quicktime plugin is not working. But I am very impressed so far.

bela42
August 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I'm using 4.0.203.0 (24088) on Jaunty 64Bit. And it is really quite impressive, even flash works after adding --enable-plugins as stated above.

I just don't get why the Chromium window has no drop shadow, like all others. This is kind of annoying, I'd rather go with standard window decorations, if I could switch to those.

schmolch
August 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Is it possible to configure a minimum font size in chromium.
I got some results when i googled this and it seems possible in windows.

schmolch
August 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Is it possible to configure a minimum font size in chromium?
I got some results when i googled this and it seems possible in windows.

castrojo
August 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Any idea how to make this work? What code would run a webapp into a Chromium app so I can make the shortcuts myself? I find this better than Prism.

I don't think that works yet, you can modify or make your own shortcut like so on your panel on desktop, here's my gmail one:

chromium-browser --app=http://gmail.com

hetx
August 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Ironically, mine, version 4.0.203.0 (24088), can't handle the image popup thing in this thread! Is that just me? I click a picture, get the dark area but no picture. I can scroll down out of the dark area.

Ric_NYC
August 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ironically, mine, version 4.0.203.0 (24088), can't handle the image popup thing in this thread! Is that just me? I click a picture, get the dark area but no picture. I can scroll down out of the dark area.

No.

quazi
August 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Nah, Chromium isn't able to handle that yet.

sertse
August 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
No, it's actually a regression. Chromium was able to handle that in earlier builds.

darco
August 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I normally dont run the browser from the command line so I dont know how long this error has been around. Getting:
tk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Running x64 Mint 7....running latest x64 build of Chromium

darco

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Used to work here but it stopped working in the new build

simmeson
August 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Works fine here, I'm running 4.0.203.0 (24095).

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Big update a while ago! I now have sound on Flash videos and the download thingy now follows gtk! :D

northwestuntu
August 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
wow google chromium 4 64bit with flash is freaking fast!!! :P

im a diehard firefox user, but i must admit it's getting slow. as soon they get some extensions i must have i might have to make chromium my default.

im still a little confused on the difference between chrome and chromium?

Ric_NYC
August 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm using Chromium 80% of the time.

mybunche
August 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Downloaded build 24230 today, and with the GTK theme I'm getting blue colour on the non-actives tabs. I have Hardy 8.04 brown default theme, and the blue don't look good. :(

That aside, flash is now working better.

wersdaluv
August 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Downloaded build 24230 today, and with the GTK theme I'm getting blue colour on the non-actives tabs. I have Hardy 8.04 brown default theme, and the blue don't look good. :(

That aside, flash is now working better.
Colors of inactive cabs look right on any of my gtk themes

mybunche
August 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
My blue colour tabs are now back to my beloved brown. :)
Running 4.0.204.0 Ubuntu build 24607, 28 August.

renkinjutsu
August 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
does chromium come with its own video player? why does the chromium daily build also download chromium ffmpeg codecs?

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
does chromium come with its own video player? why does the chromium daily build also download chromium ffmpeg codecs?

Maybe it has something to do with HTML5 video tag. Chromium/Chrome supports it?

ubulette
August 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe it has something to do with HTML5 video tag. Chromium/Chrome supports it?

indeed, it's for the HTML5 <audio> and <video> tags

Giant Speck
August 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
OH MY GOD!

Java works now!!!

Ric_NYC
August 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
OH MY G*D!

Java works now!!!

Are you serious?

:)

Let me try.

Ric_NYC
August 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Java is working... :)
There's another change that I noticed yesterday. Now there's the option of changing the language (Tools>Options>Under the Hood>Change fonts and Language settings>Languages).

Katalog
August 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
OH MY GOD!

Java works now!!!

Are you serious?

:)

Let me try.

Java is working... :)
There's another change that I noticed yesterday. Now there's the option of changing the language (Tools>Options>Under the Hood>Change fonts and Language settings>Languages).

Hallelujah! Time to do my happy dance. :guitar:

Chemical Imbalance
August 29th, 2009, 03:44 AM
hallelujah! Time to do my happy dance. :guitar:

W0oo H0oo0! \\:D/

darco
August 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM
and the Other Bookmark tab is full page now...sweet....that was annoying...
Now they need to work on the memory issues....mines running about 350mbs for7 tabs..ouch

Keep up the good work :)

darco

Vrekk
August 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
and the Other Bookmark tab is full page now...sweet....that was annoying...
Now they need to work on the memory issues....mines running about 350mbs for7 tabs..ouch

Keep up the good work :)

darco

Same thing here, but other wise this is running flawlessly.

Colonel Kilkenny
August 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM

The whole idea of memory is that applications should use it as much as possible. Chrome (or any other application) can use memory as much as it wants if it is also capable of releasing memory when other applications need more.

Katalog
August 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM

The whole idea of memory is that applications should use it as much as possible. Chrome (or any other application) can use memory as much as it wants if it is also capable of releasing memory when other applications need more.

Is it possible that the high memory consumption it tied to the whole "sandboxing" thing that Chromium does? I guess what I'm really trying to ask is if Chromium is using a tab, could it be that it is it behaving like it's running an entirely separate instance of the browser, thus the high memory usage? I admittedly know very little about the underpinnings of this browser (although I love using it!)

wersdaluv
August 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm still waiting for the new Yahoo! Mail to work...

Vrekk
August 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm still waiting for the new Yahoo! Mail to work...

What do you mean, yahoo mail seems to work fine for me.....:confused:

Colonel Kilkenny
August 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Is it possible that the high memory consumption it tied to the whole "sandboxing" thing that Chromium does? I guess what I'm really trying to ask is if Chromium is using a tab, could it be that it is it behaving like it's running an entirely separate instance of the browser, thus the high memory usage? I admittedly know very little about the underpinnings of this browser (although I love using it!)

Probably it has something to do with "sandboxing" as well. Memory usage in browsers is always a trade off. Larger memory usage usually means that browsing is faster (larger caches etc.). Some browsers like Opera have very optimized cores because the same core is used on devices that have very limited resources and on devices that have big *** CPUs etc.
So the browsers are just trying to find the balance where the memory usage, speed, etc. are optimal.

Chrome & Chromium both should have about:memory -page which tells more details about the real memory usage.

Vrekk
August 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Well the fact that each tab is its own process (same with flash and other plugins) it dose use more memory, but it tends to make for a better overall browser. Sometimes a tab will crash on my but because it was separate from the rest, my entire browser didn't. Overal it is worth it

rifak
August 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
does anyone know when there will be some sort of bookmark sync option available?

wersdaluv
August 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM
The new Yahoo! Mail?

Giant Speck
August 31st, 2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah, it won't let me into the new Yahoo! Mail, either. Not that I use Yahoo! Mail enough for it to matter, anyway. :p

Kristofer Van Orton
August 31st, 2009, 01:37 AM
I had no idea that there was even a ported version of Chrome...thanks! I'm downloading know haha

rifak
August 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
I had no idea that there was even a ported version of Chrome...thanks! I'm downloading know haha

actually, i think Chrome is based off of chromium...am i right? correct me if im wrong

from here: http://dev.chromium.org/Home
on the left side, it reads "Google Chrome is built with open source code from Chromium"

Kristofer Van Orton
August 31st, 2009, 01:44 AM
well theres no mistake thats definetley what it says there :P so maybe thats the case but I was looking for a version of chrome when i first got ubuntu and couldn't find one until now anyway

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 01:59 AM
OH MY GOD!

Java works now!!!

how and is it for 64bit?

darco
August 31st, 2009, 02:34 AM
oops......the edit button in this forum still does not work w/Chromium.....

darco
August 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
If you are currently running FF and flash x64, chromium will pick up it automatically. Also the developer just stated the "--enable-plugins flag is no longer needed" but I still need it enabled for some reason. Flash x64 and Java work flawlessly on my x64 bit system

darco

mrgnash
August 31st, 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm using the official Google Chrome branch and just wanted to know if the latest version of Chromium also features the regression where the window doesn't completely abide GTK theming?

Regenweald
August 31st, 2009, 04:17 AM
well theres no mistake thats definetley what it says there :P so maybe thats the case but I was looking for a version of chrome when i first got ubuntu and couldn't find one until now anyway

Rather than downloading constantly, for the newest daily updates, add this ppa with this command:

oops......the edit button in this forum still does not work w/Chromium.....

I've found that you can right click the edit link and open in a new tab, then just refresh the original page. This works for viewing images in the forum also.

orlox
August 31st, 2009, 04:39 AM
Rather than downloading constantly, for the newest daily updates, add this ppa with this command:

I've found that you can right click the edit link and open in a new tab, then just refresh the original page. This works for viewing images in the forum also.

add-apt-repository???? There is such a thing??? I always do it by manually creating a *.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, saving the GPG key to a text file, and adding it with software sources T.T

does this command add the key to the repository??

Regenweald
August 31st, 2009, 04:43 AM
add-apt-repository???? There is such a thing??? I always do it by manually creating a *.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, saving the GPG key to a text file, and adding it with software sources T.T

does this command add the key to the repository??

It does indeed :) try it out, something new i saw over in Karmic testing and Discussion. easy peasy :)

Edit: original thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1213538
Much thanks to Jacobmp92.

Chemical Imbalance
August 31st, 2009, 04:49 AM
It does indeed :) try it out, something new i saw over in Karmic testing and Discussion. easy peasy :)

Edit: original thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1213538
Much thanks to Jacobmp92.

Thanks for that. I learned something too.

Regenweald
August 31st, 2009, 05:07 AM
makes you just want to go trawling for new ppas doesn't it ? :) I know i did...

bluebyt
August 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Please google add an option to when opening link in new tab, automatically switch to new tab. I know you can use shortcut ctrl-shift but this is not convenient.

When I click on a link, it's because I want to see the page associated with that link. I don't want to have to click on the link, then have to click on the new tab displaying that linked page.

By the way the menu on the website deviantart work now!

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM

Sick!! Had no idea we had an add-apt-repository

MarcusW
September 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
The development really is lightningfast. :) Way better than firefox, and still alpha build.

243kof
September 1st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by the lack of middle-click scrolling on Chromium? Why wouldn't they implement such a basic feature? A bug has already been filed here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17689, but there has hardly been any feedback. It's a shame really, because otherwise the browser is so cool! Without this I can't bother to make the plugins work.. :)

wersdaluv
September 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by the lack of middle-click scrolling on Chromium? Why wouldn't they implement such a basic feature? A bug has already filed here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17689, but there has hardly been any feedback. It's a shame really, because otherwise the browser is so cool! Without this I can't bother to make plugins work.. :)
Firefox doesn't have it as well, right? It's fine for me because I use middle clicking for opening new tabs anyway. I think, that's much more important.

Giant Speck
September 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Am I the only one annoyed by the lack of middle-click scrolling on Chromium? Why wouldn't they implement such a basic feature? A bug has already been filed here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17689, but there has hardly been any feedback. It's a shame really, because otherwise the browser is so cool! Without this I can't bother to make the plugins work.. :)

That's a feature that didn't even get implemented in the Windows version of Google Chrome until the beta builds of version 2.0. Hopefully, though, we'll see it soon. I miss that feature, too.

sertse
September 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Firefox doesn't have it as well, right?

Umm, in firefox it's in Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> "Use autoscrolling". Even when it's turned on, middle clicking on links still opens thme in new tabs.

I agree, it's a nice feature to have, reduces hand strain a bit. Epiphany webkit (with its extensions) had it, but it still had some bugs...

Mateo
September 6th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I can't install it, because of incompatibilities with libasound2, libc6, and a few others. Help?

Vrekk
September 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed both Chromium AND Google Chrome? I know chrome is based off of chromium but whats the main difference between the two? And i mean what would be noticed on my end, not just the fact that one has Google's name on it.

gymophett
September 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Has anyone else noticed both Chromium AND Google Chrome? I know chrome is based off of chromium but whats the main difference between the two? And i mean what would be noticed on my end, not just the fact that one has Google's name on it.

Mostly nothing. Chromium is just a project to make Google Chrome for Linux based on the Chrome code. But Google is making a Chrome for Linux also.
So I have no idea?

OutOfReach
September 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM

you just answered your own question :)
that's pretty much the only difference.
Basically, Google Chrome is Chromium, Chromium is the working product and Google Chrome is the final product, makes sense?

Giant Speck
September 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Chromium is the open-source project from which Google Chrome is based. The only thing Google adds to Google Chrome that Chromium itself doesn't already have is Google's branding.

Vrekk
September 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Chromium is the open-source project from which Google Chrome is based. The only thing Google adds to Google Chrome that Chromium itself doesn't already have is Google's branding.

Idk google has to add SOMETHING. I just ran both against the peacekeeper brower benchmarker and Chromium 4.0.207.0 scored a 1535 while Google Chrome 4.0.206.0 scored a 2002.... Ill test it again on the next releases to see if they come closer or something.

BTW OFF TOPIC.
when did that report abuse thing get under the profile stuff?
<-------

Giant Speck
September 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
BTW OFF TOPIC.
when did that report abuse thing get under the profile stuff?
<-------

That's always been there; they just changed the icon is all. The new icon has been there for a couple days now.

dannew
September 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM

The difference between Chromium and Chrome is explained here:
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/google-chrome-chromium-and-google.html

purgatori
September 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've been trying to think why I just can't seem to stick with using Chrome as my default browser, and it occurs to me that without autoscroll OR vi-like keybindings (a-la Vimperator, or Uzbl), the navigation is pretty horrible. I just get a little sick of click click click, drag, click click click.