PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Booting Ubuntu 9.04 with an existing Ubuntu 8.04

getitright
August 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and want to dual boot with 9.04. Am I correct in assuming that I need to resize the existing partitition for 8.04 to create unused space on which to install 9.04? I took a preliminary look using gparted but cannot see how to resize the existing partition. Can anyone advise as to how I could install 9.04 with 8.04 as a dual boot?

misswham
August 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
I dont really have an answer to this but I have 8.04 on my desktop and 9.04 on my laptop and I dont see any difference in the 2. Have u actually tried to use 9.04 from the live cd to see of any differences and if so what were they?

just curious

joriad
August 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
If you have a gparted cd then insert and boot the disk. You will see a graphical representation of your partition. click on the graphical bar and then you can resize the graphical bar by going either to the left or right side and simply drag the bar until you have the desired partition size. apply that operation the with the unpartitioned space you can create a new partition. You cannot resize your mounted partition you must either use a gparted disc or a ubuntu live disc unmounted.

LewRockwell
August 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
regardless...it will be a good learning experience