PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba M200 Portege

virtual_pkh
August 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
I recently "went Ubuntu" on my Tosh tablet and it was probably the smoothest install I've ever done. I was pretty impressed that everything - pen, wifi, the works - just installed straight away.

(As a result I went Ubuntu on my desktop too, and that wasn't anything like as easy... but that's a story for elsewhere).

Anyway my question here is a strange one but here goes. The laptop runs way hotter on Ubuntu than it ever did on XP. I always had my power management settings on XP at "max performance" on battery, and I guess it's the same on Ubuntu... but it really does run MUCH hotter, far too hot to actually use the thing on my lap.

Fully charged battery also only lasts about 90 mins, down from about 2.5 hours.

Has anyone else noticed this? And if so, is something set up wrong?

And does anyone know of an app similar to M$ "OneNote" that'll run under Ubuntu?
Ta
Paul H

Favux
August 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Hi virtual_pkh,

You might want to have a look at CellWriter and Xournal.

yamamax
August 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hello virtual_pkh,

I had the same problem with battery power and heat. I installed kpowersaver which managed that problem. I mean my fan was working over time. Now I have not heard it since installing kpowersaver. Hope this works.

The only problem I am having now is that my computer will not boot unless I have plugged in.

Hope this helps you.

yamamax
August 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
That is KPowersave. Do not want you wasting time looking for something else.

virtual_pkh
August 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go

Paul H

F4rrari
August 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hi, just wondering if your SD Card reader works? Cause mine don't.

torstenaf
August 5th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I had an old Toshiba with a similar problem. I had to somehow enable frequency scaling because it wasn't automatically enabled. I think I loaded a module or something, and after that it ran cool.

Just a thought.