PDA

View Full Version : Noob - how do you add icons and launchers to NBR desktop

Spaceford
August 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm surprised this isn't a more commonly asked question, but I've got Ubuntu Netbook Remix up and running on an Acer Aspire One and it's great (went crazy trying to use Linpus!).

Now I've installed some favourite programs like Songbird and Celtx. But to open them, I have to go into my user folder and find the launcher there. I would like to add their icons to the interface. For example put Songbird in the Sound and Video section. Adding to the Favourites section seems easy enough on the icons that are already placed, but how do you get them in the sections in the first place?

I've done some searching on the net and it seems that this is an easy process for standard Ubuntu. But I can't find any info for NBR. Can anyone clearly explain the process to me? I'm still new at Linux, mind. So if it needs any command language in the terminal, I have to copy and paste it!

thanks

Brandon Williams
August 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
There is an application found in the Preferences menu titled 'Main Menu'. This is an editor for the main menu that you can use to add/edit/hide menu items.

Spaceford
August 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks! That's so easy. Really appreciate that.

I can also see how to replace the icon, but it doesn't seem to recognize png. files. Only svg. files.

Brandon Williams
August 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
It can deal with most image types, I think. The browser works a little bit strangely, though. It only lets you browse for directories, and then after you select one, it fills up the window with all the icons in that directory.

valhar2000
November 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
How would I go about adding an icon in the "Files and Folders" section of the launcher? Since my netbook has one of those tiny SSDs I don't keep any files on it, and instead let it read files form my main Ubuntu machine over the network. I would like there to be an icon in the NBR launcher that will directly open the shared folder.

I checked the "Main Menu" editor application, but it does nto seem to have the ability to edit that part of the launcher.

MiRee446
December 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
-open the folder you want to add in nautilus
-Go to Bookmarks-Add Bookmark
-The folder will appear in the Files and Folders section of UNR

mtalexan
December 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Has anyone gotten the icon selection/load to work correctly when adding the new launcher item to the favorites menu? With mine, the icon is fine within the standard menu, but as soon as I try to add it to my favorites, the icon in the notification popup is the default one and the icon on the actual favorites list is also stuck as the default.

OldManRiver
March 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
hey all,

I want to add laucher with these in panel and application menu.

I know it is all firefox, with options, so step by step please.

Thnx!

S10Blazer
March 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Not sure this is related close enough for here, but this is the closest thread I could find, PLUS - I was directed here by a tech on the #Ubuntu channel... :)

I am using v10.10 of Ubuntu-Netbook (hereafter referred to as "UNBE"), on a new ACER AspireOne (AOD255E) netbook.
The install went fine from booting a 4gb USB Thumb Drive - very smooth...
And I like the looks and actions of the install, so far.

What I am having trouble with is ADDing an application link to the 'launcher' (panel) on the left side of the screen. I AM able to REMOVE applications from there with a 'right mouse click' to access the sub-function pop-up, but have yet to see a way to easily ADD an application link ('launcher' ?) to the side panel...
I have tried 'dragging-n-dropping' with no success, and there seems to be NO result for any kind of right click ON the application icon (in any of the main menus) that offer a selection to ADD to the panel...

Could someone please outline the exact steps necessary to accomplish this task ?

Bruce

Copper Bezel
March 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
While it's running, you should be able to right click it and select "Pin to Launcher."

The new Unity interface is still a bit shakey, and adding applications by dragging and dropping them from the application menu seems likely in the future but obviously isn't implemented yet.

Edit: Apparently it's "Keep in Launcher". Had to go check.

Just so you know, the Netbook interface in 10.10 has its features frozen from several months ago, but once you upgrade to 11.04, it'll be a much more complete interface.

S10Blazer
April 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
While it's running, you should be able to right click it and select "Pin to Launcher."

The new Unity interface is still a bit shakey, and adding applications by dragging and dropping them from the application menu seems likely in the future but obviously isn't implemented yet.

Edit: Apparently it's "Keep in Launcher". Had to go check.

Just so you know, the Netbook interface in 10.10 has its features frozen from several months ago, but once you upgrade to 11.04, it'll be a much more complete interface.

Thanks for the post, CB... That works GREAT!!! And makes sense also. IF, the application CAN be run, and runs successfully, the n the icon is in the launch-bar and can then be 'pinned' to it (a rather WinVista/7'y term), but it works well... I'm looking forward to the 11.04 release and HOPE that upgrading to that from where I am now will be a virtually painless and easy to accomplish task. My NB is beginning to draw a little attention from those that are amazed how fast it operates (in comparison with their WhenDoes machines) with having only 1gb of RAM and a slower CPU speed. My next step is to purchase the ACER AO721 with the faster processor and the ability to upgrade to 4gb RAM, larger screen and higher resolution, and a couple other nice-ities... (unless I find a better NB for the same price) Thanks again, CB...