PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blinking line in upper left corner, ubuntu wont boot

dustinz31
August 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
please bear with me Ok so i just built a computer for my mom and decided i would go with linux on it. I have already installed ubuntu on my laptop from inside windows and it worked great. So i figured it would be even better having its own hard drive on my moms computer. well i finished the computer and started it up, set up the bios to boot from the cd then put in the cd and it brought up the screen that asks me if i want to install, so i installed it, i used the entire 500gb hard drive for the linux partition and it installed just fine. when the install was over, it asked me to restart the computer so i did and after it went through the bios stuff it just goes to a black screen with a blinking line in the upper left hand corner and it doesnt do anything. I let it sit for over an hour and it didnt do anything, it wont let you type anything or do anything. its done this to me with both linux mint and ubunto 9.04. please help. hopefully i can get this so i can get this computer working for my mom.

Riaku
August 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Did you go into the bios and make sure everythings detected?
Does it get past or to the ubuntu loading screen?
Does the disc have scratches on it?
Are you sure the HDD is reliable?

dustinz31
August 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
well everything is detected in the bios and no it wont even get to the loading screen after i have installed it. theres another hard drive in the computer but it has xp on it (doesn't work of course) but im afraid to install ubuntu onto that drive because i want to get all my moms old important files off of it before i go and format a partition for ubuntu or do anything to that drive for that matter if that makes any sense. sorry i'm completely new to this. i'm not completely sure the hard drive is reliable but its brand fricken new so i hope.

oh and i meant to say i already installed it on my laptop in the first post

Riaku
August 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
you can get the files off the old drive with the live cd go to places and in should be listed under there. Have you tired installing windows on the same drive or tired putting files on it? Sometimes drives come battered up

dustinz31
August 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
no i cant install windows to anything because i dont have a disc for it. im trying to move the files right now with the live cd over to the new hard drive so i can try ubunto on the old drive. its just that the old drive had it on there from the old computer

Riaku
August 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
well, just see what happens