PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

sammyboy405
August 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
-------- Ubuntu 10.10 -----------
Requirements:
Ubuntu 10.10 Installed
Internet Connection

These instructions are based off information from this wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo)

There are other ways of doing what I do .. Do it how you see fit But these are the Steps I took to get Everything working Properly.

Open A Term Windows
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/ppa && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d poulsbo-config
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Add the Following: Should fix the Brightness Key

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
If you have 1GB Of Ram Add this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="mem=896mb"
If you have 2GB of Ram Add this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="mem=1920mb"

Now Run
sudo update-grub

5. Reboot

6. Open a Term Window
7. Run

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Make your xorg.conf look something like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "true"
EndSection

(Optional) add the following to the bottom of your xorg.conf file this will allow you to be able to do a CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart your GUI/X11 session.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

Add the following Line at your risk. It could have mixed results. Ive have very good luck thus far performance wise with it.

"AccelMethod" "UXA"

If you use this you need to change to the following as well.

Option "UxaNoComposite" "true"

8. Reboot Once more and your done unless you want Compiz. Continue on if you would like to install compiz.
9. Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/poulsbo/poulsbo-config_0.1.2~1004um3_all.deb
10. Open a Term Window
11. Run (from the location you downloaded it to. Most likely [~/Downloads])

sudo dpkg -i poulsbo-config_0.1.2~1004um3_all.deb

-- Note keep this file around you will need it if you update your kernel.

12. Check you xorg.conf file.. This is only a precautionary measure. A Couple of times my xorg.conf went blank after installing the custom poulsbo-config

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

13. Now install Compiz

sudo apt-get install compiz

14. Reboot and You should now be able to enable effects..

Ive tested this procedures a couple of times on a Dell Mini 1010 and it seems to work fine.

However if ANYONE can figure out how to get Unity to work let me know. The whole reason I put 10.10 back on my Netbook was for Unity and it dont work. There is a Bug open here http://code.google.com/p/gma500/issues/detail?id=39 for more information.

I Hope this helps everyone.

-------------------- Everything Below is Only for 9.10 ----------
*Update* If you are trying Out 9.10 Karmic. You can get some good install Instructions here http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406 All the Performance tweaks found here on this thread will still work on 9.10 after you have installed the driver. Just Make sure you have the Latest and Greatest Kernel installed before proceeding with the 9.10 version of the GMA 500 drivers *Update*

Im Modifying these procedures and Including New steps, and tweaks that have been proven to work thus far. This should work for any system having a GMA500 Video Chipset. Although it was written using a Dell Mini 10. So I Have not tested it on any other system. But there is no reason why it wouldn't work on other systems.

Before Starting this Make sure you have the Latest Kernel. As of right now its .15 But if there is one Higher Make sure you have it before performing the steps below.

First lets check to make sure you have the latest Kernel version before we proceed.
From the Terminal:

uname -a
This will display your Kernel version. If it is 2.6.28.15 or Higher You are done. And continue down below. If it is not then do the following steps:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgradeReboot
go back into a terminal

uname -a
Make sure your Upgrade happened. If it did and you want to get rid of your old Kernel you can do:

sudo apt-get autoremove
If not, no harm done, it wont hurt anything to leave it other than eat up about 100meg of space. Just continue on with the Guide.

---Continue on From here if you have the Newest Kernel Version---

From the Terminal:
Add this to your repository

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-mobile.list
add these 2 lines

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
then ctrl+o (which saves it)
Then ctrl+x (To Exit)

Now you need to authenticate the keys

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30

[/code]Now that your Ubuntu-Mobile Key is added do the Following.

The Following Packages need to be Installed Most are Dependences.

* psb-firmware - Binary firmware for the Poulsbo (psb) 3D X11 driver
* psb-modules - Kernel module built for -generic or -lpia kernel
* psb-kernel-source - Kernel module for the Poulsbo (psb) 2D X11 driver
* psb-kernel-headers - Kernel module headers for the Poulsbo (psb) 2D X11 driver
* xpsb-glx - X11 drivers for Poulsbo (psb) 3D acceleration
* poulsbo-driver-3d - Metapackage for the 3D Poulsbo (psb) X11 driver.
* poulsbo-driver-2d - Metapackage for the 2D Poulsbo (psb) X11 driver.

From a Terminal (this should install all the above):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware
Reboot
Make sure you have NO USB devices Hooked up as this will cause conflicting results with the poulsbo-driver-3d drivers. (see fix below for stability)

Once rebooted open a terminal and make a back up of your xorg.conf file.(fresh install may have a null xorg.conf file this is normal and ok)

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakOpen up your xorg.conf and add the below contents inside it.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.confMake the Section "Device" Look like this :

Section "Device"
EndSection
(Optional) add the following to the bottom of your xorg.conf file this will allow you to be able to do a CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart your GUI/X11 session.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

Add the following Line at your risk. It could have mixed results. Ive have very good luck thus far performance wise with it.

"AccelMethod" "UXA"

Reboot one last time and you should be rocking and rolling. Now what this did is allow the 3d Drivers to be installed and are in Partial use. Compiz and any other 3d Software "May" Not work I haven't 100% tested it. But modifying your xorg.conf with the above setting will allow you to be able to use External USB Devices with out random freezes.

If you have a fresh install you may need to recheck your xorg.conf file after you reboot as when the xserver configures itself it may put back the default settings. Those that had xserver setup before hand you should be fine. But if you feel that something isnt right, you may want to go and check your xorg.conf file again and be sure that the options are still there.

Leave out the xorg.conf if you don't plan on using anything USB. Although since your keyboard / touch-pad is technically USB I still had random Freezes Have 3d Enabled.

So I Highly Recommend using my xorg.conf example. I have had great success with it.

For those who are getting DRM errors after Upgrading from / to a new Kernel after doing the Old Procedures I had listed here do the following.

sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source

Reboot and then you should be good to go again. You may want to add the 3d to give you some extra performance. If so just start from the top of this message and start from the beginning like you where installing for the first time. and that should do the trick.

I want to thank the MyDellMini (http://www.mydellmini.com) Forum members who helped me sort all this out and been patient with me. meecect and durj. If you have a Dell Mini and need some more additional help or want to be in our community follow the link MyDellMini (http://www.mydellmini.com)

Also for those Brave souls who would like to take things a step further and tweak the performance. Follow the Guide / Step / Suggestion found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7104256&postcount=1) on the Ubuntu forums. Do not do those Steps unless you know what you are doing. It Does require some Linux Knowledge. And It has you upgrade to the 2.6.30 Kernel. So it "May" not work with the PSB Drivers. The Tweaking guide was written for desktop style Intel Video cards and not Portable. So use this information at your own risk if you decide to play with tweaking the performance. Ive gone as far as I can take it until I decide to bite the bullet and try out the 2.6.30 Kernel. Once I get some more time I will play with 2.6.30.

I wrote this kinda quick, im hoping I haven't left anything out. This should work on Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I have not Tried Xubuntu, But I bet it will work fine on it as well.

I will do my best to keep this updated as new versions come out. And fixes for existing issues like the USB / 3d issue.

sammyboy405
August 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
some Typo's fixed and Additional links added.

duanedesign
August 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
great contribution.

I am sure GMA500 Video Chipset and Dell Mini 10 owners will greatly appreciate this.

s-tobe
August 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
is this procedure valid for netbook remix 9.04 on my asus 1101ha as well or for just plain jaunty j.

I tried this procedure on UNR 9.10 and it failed on install xserver-xorg-video-psb which was failing due to libdrm-poulsbo1. If I install the libdrm-poulsbo1 package the netbook remix and all other xserver packages will be removed. That seems to be destructive.

Is there a solution for Karmic in case the above answer is NO?

gururise
August 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
So can anyone confirm if 3d and video acceleration are working? I know there are some patches for Mplayer to add va-api, will those work with this driver? I really want to get rid of Vista on my Acer Aspire One (AO751h)

sammyboy405
August 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM
So can anyone confirm if 3d and video acceleration are working? I know there are some patches for Mplayer to add va-api, will those work with this driver? I really want to get rid of Vista on my Acer Aspire One (AO751h)

3d Works. But there is a catch 22

if you dont use anything USB 3d will work. The minute you plug anything in or do anything with USB you will either freeze immediately or have random freezes. I had compiz running quite nicely, I just cant deal with the freezes because I use a USB Mouse and a External HD sometimes.

in the xorg.conf file the option for DRI is disabling the 3d part but still allowing, I think they called the XV drawing feature to still work wich gives you a little bit more of a graphics performance boost.

And yes when I made this I should of just Put Ubuntu 9.04 All Variants.

Glxgears for me is showing an avg of about 124fps Not sure how good glxgears is though.

sammyboy405
August 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Updated to show for .15 Kernel.

sammyboy405
August 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey can someone Explain this for me. Im a bit out of my league here.

http://koldfront.dk/gitweb?p=psb;a=summary

I Ran across this via another forum. But is it me or is that looking like the Ubuntu-Mobile team is working on some new stuff for the PSB?

Can someone that uses git decrypt what im seeing there?

Also I Dont know if there is any hope on this. But it seems the folks over at Fedora came up with a solution for the PSB

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/08/10/intel-gma500-poulsbo-on-fedora-11-repository-with-working-3d-compiz-support/

Maybe someone that has the Ubuntu force inside them can take a look at what they did and make it work for Ubuntu?

sammyboy405
August 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Ive been running a new config setup. Thought id share it. Haven't had any lock ups yet. AND im getting 130 to 150fps with Compiz Working.

Here it goes. Im going off memory on what I did. You must already have done guide written above.

I Perfer nano to edit. ctrl+o to save and ctrl+x to exit

Open A Terminal:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
You should find a line that looks like this (your root UUID and kernel version will/may vary)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet splash Change it to this (bold is to emphasize what needs changing)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet nosplash mem=786mb
This tells grub to force the kernel to recognize only 786mb of the installed 1GB, leaving 238mb free for the graphics adapter to use. The “nosplash” option prevents any sexy graphics being displayed during boot. I’m not sure if this is *essential* but it seemed like a good idea?

Now for Compiz.

sudo nano /usr/bin/compiz
press ctrl+w and type whitelist and press enter.

WHITELIST=”nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx” Change it to this:

WHITELIST=”psb nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”Now your going to need to edit a line in your xorg.conf file. Doing this will allow for 3d effects.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.confFind the line

Option "DRI" "off"
and make it look like
Option "DRI" "on"
Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

click System -> Preferences -> Appearance and click the Visual Effects tab. I chose “Normal” just to get things started…

Now Hope and Pray? LOL Have fun with it .. Also Check out X.Org Wiki - Home check out there FAQ there on some different options you can do inside your xorg.conf file with the 3d/2d settings.

Also Play with the Memory settings for the Kernel. I just choice a semi round number. I also installed compizconfig-settings-manager to fine tune the compiz setup you might or might not want to try it? Rotating desktop seems to work.

divan0
August 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Great news! Thank you for sharing this!

crawlerzero
August 13th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thank you so much for this fix. I have been searching for days for a solution, and none of the fixes that I have found in other threads have worked. Some have even crippled my computer beyond my ability to recover.

I am running 9.04 on a Dell Mini 12.

I did experience a DRM error after following the procedure (which included upgrading my kernel from .14 to .15 by enabling the pre-release {jaunty proposed} option in the update section of Sofware Sources)

After that I followed your instruction you provided and it worked, though at first I had some difficulty.

I used:

sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-sourceIn your version there is an (s) on the end, though I followed back up and found the package referenced above. I only point out this type because I am new to Ubuntu and (regarding Linux) follow instructions to the letter, and thought that other new users might run into the same issue due to their inexperience.

Again, thank you very much. This was awesome. I have a working computer again! :-D

sammyboy405
August 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much for this fix. I have been searching for days for a solution, and none of the fixes that I have found in other threads have worked. Some have even crippled my computer beyond my ability to recover.

I am running 9.04 on a Dell Mini 12.

I did experience a DRM error after following the procedure (which included upgrading my kernel from .14 to .15 by enabling the pre-release {jaunty proposed} option in the update section of Sofware Sources)

After that I followed your instruction you provided and it worked, though at first I had some difficulty.

I used:

sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-sourceIn your version there is an (s) on the end, though I followed back up and found the package referenced above. I only point out this type because I am new to Ubuntu and (regarding Linux) follow instructions to the letter, and thought that other new users might run into the same issue due to their inexperience.

Again, thank you very much. This was awesome. I have a working computer again! :-D

Thanks for the info. Ive corrected the Type-o

Ive got more Fixes Coming. I think ive got the Lock ups fixed. Gonna let it go one more day and I will post what I Did to fix the Lockups on USB while running 3d mode.

sammyboy405
August 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
OK Im convinced this works. Ive done everything I can think of to get it to lock up. and it just wont do it.

to Run 3d with no lock ups you need to modify your xorg.conf

remove the DRI Option line

and add in its place

Option "IgnoreACPI" "yes"

Reboot or CTRL+ALT+BackSpace Reboot would be better.

And Let us know how it goes.

foggydude
August 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
is this procedure valid for netbook remix 9.04 on my asus 1101ha as well or for just plain jaunty j.

I tried this procedure on UNR 9.10 and it failed on install xserver-xorg-video-psb which was failing due to libdrm-poulsbo1. If I install the libdrm-poulsbo1 package the netbook remix and all other xserver packages will be removed. That seems to be destructive.

Is there a solution for Karmic in case the above answer is NO?

i cant get it with cause something that seems close

/$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xorg-video-psb libdrm-poulsbo1 psb-modules psb-kernel-source psb-kernel-headers xpsb-glx poulsbo-driver-3d poulsbo-driver-2d

(the above are the packages suggested by the how to AND some packages that apt-get said were dependencies that it was not going to install itself

output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libgl1-mesa-glx is already the newest version.
psb-modules is already the newest version.
psb-modules set to manually installed.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libdrm-poulsbo1: Conflicts: libdrm2 but 2.4.12+git20090806.d74c67fb-0ubuntu0sarvatt is to be installed
E: Broken packages

im reaaally not looking forward to downgrade or even to reinstall. so is there a solution? Or just wait till time will solve (and use windows in the meantime: it sucks, but works). but at least this post gives me a sparkle of hope. please tell me that its doable in Karmic...

lindsredding
August 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks so much for this.

I was keen to try Ubuntu on my new Acer Aspire One AO751H but having spent a couple of days banging my head off the slow graphics problem which rendered the OS all but unusable and getting nowhere, I was about to uninstall and setle for the pre-installed WinXP.

I followed your (excelent and clear) instructions, and behold - UNR is now snappy, responsive and looking very nice. No problems so far with using the USB ports either.

Thanks again - I've been listening to people banging on about Linux for years and never taken the plunge - now I see what all the fuss is about!

Cheers :)

Linds

Auckland, New Zealand

libertypilot
August 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'm having trouble getting my GMA500 to work right it would seem. My firefox is still choppy and anytime I scroll or move windows around its quite laggy.

I'm running an Acer AO751h with xubuntu 9.04. I used Synaptic Package Manager to install the poulsbo drivers (both 2d and 3d, although I don't think I really have a need for 3d), and it installed all their dependencies as well. I double checked with the list of packages you had and made sure they were all installed as well and then I modified my xorg.conf accordingly. Still, no luck, its pretty choppy. I do however have my computer working at the native 1366x768 rather than the default 1024x768.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what could be going on?

Anfanglir
August 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
good instructions sammyboy405

i just tried out the editing tweaks of xorg.conf and grub/menu.lst on my Fujitsu u820, and I can confirm that it works, compiz runs with extra effects, glxgears gives me 260 fps, and Planet Penguin runs OK (but with a low framerate). I haven't used it long enough to judge if the setup is stable, but accessing a usb memory stick didn't cause any problems.

BTW, I still use .11 kernel, as .15 boots without a GUI on my machine

/ Anfanglir

Steeve Cottin
August 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thank you very much for this :KS help to activate DRI ( [quote=sammyboy405;7775498] )

I tried it with my Acer Aspire One 751 (AO751h), but it didn't work at the first time (without "nosplash") as I get problems with :

sound
wifi (unable to connect to the netwok)

I need to add before the kernel line in the menu.lst file (804864=738*1024) :

uppermem 804864

And now it works fine.

axel.villamo
August 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hi all you netbook freaks!

If anybody could confirm that this will work with the asus eee 1101HA please write it here?

You who say that everything works fine, do you mean the whole system, sound, wifi, bluetooth etc?

How about help from the gma 500 chipset to play h264 movies? Are there support for this as well or are there possibilitis for this in the future?

/Axel Villamo
Sweden

olaf1234
August 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi !

(Sorry, english is not my mother-language)

Since two weeks I'm searching a possibility for the gma500 on my Asus Eee 1101HA.
I followed this guide, but after that the netbook "crashed":

At first I have to upgrade my ubuntu 9.04 to kernel .31 because the wired+wireless LAN + WLAN did not work with earlier kernels I have tried.
After upgrading to kernel .31 my LAN and WLAN works, so I was able to followed this guide. After installing the packages, after the reboot, the display is "black", no GUI. Nothing works, I have to shut off the netbook #-owith the powerbutton.

I boot into the old kernel (by the way, there was a dri-error-message), de-installed / delete the new packages (psb a.s.o.) I have installed before (with the new kernel), and then I'm able to boot in the new kernel again.

Any idea?
I there any solution for my Asus 1101? In this condition it is only for Windows or the trash.
May I give you some informations for search&find the error?

bye
Olaf

zefrane
August 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Olaf (and everybody else with an 1101ha out there),

I had the same problem as you and run into the same errors.
To get wifi up and running I install via an usb stick the kernel 2.6.30 or above. Everytime you re-install you start with this. I tried to fix for two days (nights;)) the GMA 500 driver below the kernel 2.6.30. No luck. No sleep, angry girlfriend.... all this mess.
So just change the game. Fix the Wifi on the .15 kernel and then use the guide from sammyboy.

1) install the wifi drivers from Atheros.
Here is a german guide I followed
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ubuntu-auf-dem-eee-1101-ha/2/

But as it is the same issue with the 1008 there should be a lot of guides around.
In this process you anyway get the 2.5.15 kernel and all backports modules.

2) install as described the GMA 500 driver. I personally made here the following small changes
- I authenticated the key by

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30- make sure the install the kernel source

cheers

bodhi.zazen
August 25th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have tried working with this driver to no avail. I can install it on Ubuntu and Fedora and it works fine.

What I would like to see is the driver and associated packages available as source, one that can be installed on other distros such as Arch Linux, Slackware, etc.

Ohrer
August 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thank you very much, It works fine in Packard Bell DOT.M SP001 with a 11,6" screen.

sammyboy405
August 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Olaf (and everybody else with an 1101ha out there),

I had the same problem as you and run into the same errors.
To get wifi up and running I install via an usb stick the kernel 2.6.30 or above. Everytime you re-install you start with this. I tried to fix for two days (nights;)) the GMA 500 driver below the kernel 2.6.30. No luck. No sleep, angry girlfriend.... all this mess.
So just change the game. Fix the Wifi on the .15 kernel and then use the guide from sammyboy.

1) install the wifi drivers from Atheros.
Here is a german guide I followed
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ubuntu-auf-dem-eee-1101-ha/2/

But as it is the same issue with the 1008 there should be a lot of guides around.
In this process you anyway get the 2.5.15 kernel and all backports modules.

2) install as described the GMA 500 driver. I personally made here the following small changes
- I authenticated the key by
- make sure the install the kernel source

cheers

Thanks for that. i will Update the Guide. Thats alot Easier for people. I Forgot about doing that.

acidrock
August 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Sammy I upgraded the kernal and I goofed up while im trying to make the psb work again...now i got every thing properly installed and xorg.conf is fine but its still not working!
please dont tell me i have to go back and install old keranl

wildframe
August 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
This worked a treat on my new Acer 751h running 9.04 but stuck on Kernel -13. Finally, I have great video playback albeit not 1080P but that's no biggie for me.

Thanks once again for all you good work and clear instructions.

jbernardo
August 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks, the IgnoreACPI entry in xorg.conf seems to have fixed the hangs in X. Still no kwin effects, and kde system settings says compositing is disabled.
The grub/kernel options in menu.conf don't seem to have change anything, at least on my Asus 1101HA.

Ohrer
September 1st, 2009, 02:58 AM
I need compiz working but don't know if I have to modificate GRUB and compiz settings, and then modify the DRI options, or only change the DRI. Could anyone light me?

sammyboy405
September 1st, 2009, 03:37 AM
I need compiz working but don't know if I have to modificate GRUB and compiz settings, and then modify the DRI options, or only change the DRI. Could anyone light me?

Follow the guide..

Depending on how much Memory you have is weather or not you need to modify your GRUB. if you have 2gb id say forgo that. If you have 1gb You will need to do Grub.

And as for DRI

If its turned off then 3d is disabled.

Also for those brave enough has anyone tried to venture outside the box..

add to xorg.conf

Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"

Make sure you dont have DRI set to OFF thought. else it defeats the purpose.

Performance regressions on Intel graphics cards

Users of Intel video chipsets have reported performance regressions in Ubuntu 8.10 compared with previous releases (252094). Many of the issues have been resolved in Ubuntu 9.04, but some remain.

Some users have found improved performance by using the "greedy" migration heuristic. This can be done by running "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" to the Device section of your xorg.conf.

Alternatively, a new experimental acceleration architecture option, "DRI2/UXA", is available for Intel graphics users which our testing has found provides significant performance improvements in some cases, but has also shown risk of severe stability problems. You can opt-in to enable this by running "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" to the Device section of your xorg.conf. Users wishing to maximize stability should stay with the standard default acceleration method, "EXA".

/!\ In some cases this will lead to the graphical environment not starting at all or becoming entirely unusable. In that case, start into rescue mode or press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log into the text console, and use sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf to revert the UXA option.

If none of the above helps, some users reported success with using an older driver version.

adriantry
September 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks Sammyboy405

It worked on my Acer Aspire One AO751h (the 11" one) running the latest Linux Mint. It didn't work at first, then I noticed the comment about installing psb-kernel-source and all is good.

Suspend (actually resume) still isn't working. Has anyone been successful with that on an AO751h?

Thanks!

Adrian

olaf1234
September 1st, 2009, 08:50 PM
hi

zefrane: thank you very much, your solution works on my Asus Eee 1101 :-)
Scrolling is not perfect, but very (!) much better than before.

I have two questions:

- this way only works on the kernel .15, this mean that I'm not able to upgrade the kernel in future ?!
- I'm not able to change the brightness of the screen after your described way. I think the battery will be empty very fast now. Is there any solution ?

bye
Olaf

Phobiac
September 2nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
OK Im convinced this works. Ive done everything I can think of to get it to lock up. and it just wont do it.

to Run 3d with no lock ups you need to modify your xorg.conf

remove the DRI Option line

and add in its place

Reboot or CTRL+ALT+BackSpace Reboot would be better.

And Let us know how it goes.

It'd be great for people just skimming the guide if you edited your first post to note this, as it still says to use the DRI line. I'm using that line and the DRI line, though, is that that wrong way to go about it?

I'll also add that using Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" works fine on my system, but I haven't tested how reliable it is. Thank you for this guide, it finally got my fujitsu U820 running at native resolution in a reliable way.

Edit: UXA is unstable, at this time, for my system. Anyone with a U820 should keep that in mind.

sammyboy405
September 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
It'd be great for people just skimming the guide if you edited your first post to note this, as it still says to use the DRI line. I'm using that line and the DRI line, though, is that that wrong way to go about it?

I'll also add that using Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" works fine on my system, but I haven't tested how reliable it is. Thank you for this guide, it finally got my fujitsu U820 running at native resolution in a reliable way.

Updated :

Removed the dri off option as its not needed anymore.

Added (at your own risk of course results may vary lol)

"AccelMethod" "UXA"

excogitation
September 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I just installed some updates without paying attention and now my Vaio P only boots to a black screen - is anybody else experiencing this?

bodhi.zazen
September 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Usually that happens when you install a new kernel.

You need to remove and re-install the psb kernel source.

sudo apt-get remove psb-kernel-source

excogitation
September 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
No luck yet.

I guess I'll pay more attention to what I'm upgrading next time :-P

tjwallace
September 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I have tried using the 2.6.30 kernel but psb-kernel-source won't compile after.

ayoli
September 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
hi there,

thanks for instructions to install psb driver.

It works on my asus 1101ha but I can't run compiz
glxinfo output shows that direct rendering is present so I don't know where the problem is.

Any clue ?

jbernardo
September 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
hi there,

glxinfo output shows that direct rendering is present so I don't know where the problem is.

Any clue ?

On my 1101ha (running kubuntu karmic) I still have a lot of problems. Kwin effects won't work; receiving a video call in skype hangs the system (only sysrq reisub to boot gets me out); kaffeine hangs the system; "/usr/lib/xscreensavers/glblur -fps -window" gives only 16fps, on my AA1 I get 30.
My guess is that 3d support isn't that stable yet...

tjwallace
September 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
hi there,

Any clue ?

Make sure you install poulsbo-driver-2d and poulsbo-driver-3d

sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d

and also add the psb driver to WHITELIST in /usr/bin/compiz. Edit /usr/bin/compiz and search for WHITELIST, make it look like this:

WHITELIST=”psb nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”

ayoli
September 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Make sure you install poulsbo-driver-2d and poulsbo-driver-3d

sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d

and also add the psb driver to WHITELIST in /usr/bin/compiz. Edit /usr/bin/compiz and search for WHITELIST, make it look like this:

Arf, it was supposed to be done but after a verification the 3d one was missing
the psb driver was already add to compiz whitelist.

now compiz still doesn't work, but the error is different.
it tells that there is no manageable screens found on display 0:0

EDIT : fixed : I add to disable metacity compositor, now compiz works :)
Thx.

tjwallace
September 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Does anyone notice that changing the screen brightness is a horribly laggy process? I am using an Acer Aspire One 0751h.

SQuark
September 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
From the guide:

"AccelMethod" "UXA"

It's not very clear where to do this... I'm guessing I replace the line
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"with it?

bodhi.zazen
September 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
From the guide:

It's not very clear where to do this... I'm guessing I replace the line
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"with it?

Yes, exactly =)

eaz2
September 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
This is a VERY VERY good post!
my Acer aspire one 751 (AO751) is running excellent on Xubuntu 9.04 in 1366 x 768

I had to run the DRM fix also, and switched to UXA.

this is how this netbook should run..
thanks again!:guitar:

Xubuntu 2.6.28.15, xfce 4.6

isaidi
September 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
This is a VERY VERY good post!
my Acer aspire one 751 (AO751) is running excellent on Xubuntu 9.04 in 1366 x 768

I had to run the DRM fix also, and switched to UXA.

this is how this netbook should run..
thanks again!:guitar:

I am wondering how does this fix affect flash video playback ? is it still sluggish ?

the GMA500 should support advanced video players/encoding (including MPEG4,.264/MPEG2,VC-1, AVC..etc..
Has anyone done any tests for various players and encoding ? I am specifically looking for performance feedback on youtube videos before i go out an purchase a GMA500 netbook..

cabrerachaparro
September 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hi,

I've followed the guide and got the resolution, but I can't get Compiz. I've noticed that I can't install these packages:

xserver-xorg-video-psb libdrm-poulsbo1 xpsb-glx.

I'm using a AO751H with 2Gb of RAM and .15 kernel, so I didn't change the grub.conf

Please, anybody knows how to activate Compiz?

Thanks.

cabrerachaparro
September 12th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hi,

I've followed the guide and got the resolution, but I can't get Compiz. I've noticed that I can't install these packages:

xserver-xorg-video-psb xpsb-glx.

I'm using a AO751H with 2Gb of RAM and .15 kernel, so I didn't change the grub.conf

Thanks.

sammyboy405
September 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hi,

xserver-xorg-video-psb xpsb-glx.

Thanks.

We Need some more information for anyone to help you.
xpsb-glx Is critical to have 3d working.

What are the errors you get on installing those packages.

cabrerachaparro
September 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
We Need some more information for anyone to help you.
xpsb-glx Is critical to have 3d working.

What are the errors you get on installing those packages.

Hi,
Sorry, I've installed those packages already, but I cant't activate Visual Effects. I'm using the options Normal or Extra but a message appear saying that the effects couldn't be actived.

Thanks.

cabrerachaparro
September 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hi,

I have another thing that could help, when I run compiz from a terminal I get this error:

/usr/bin/compiz: 63: nvidia: not found
Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

But I have this in /usr/bin/compiz

Thanks.

eaz2
September 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
video is still sluggish. Please note that netbooks are not intended, nor suitable to do any heavy computing, even if you have good drivers. The gma500/intel atom 520 combination shines in energy use (>8 hrs) but in little other area's...
I use xubuntu because it is (to my knowledge) the least sluggish operating system on these machines, and it runs very well, to surf, wordprocess and mail.

sammyboy405
September 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
video is still sluggish. Please note that netbooks are not intended, nor suitable to do any heavy computing, even if you have good drivers. The gma500/intel atom 520 combination shines in energy use (>8 hrs) but in little other area's...
I use xubuntu because it is (to my knowledge) the least sluggish operating system on these machines, and it runs very well, to surf, wordprocess and mail.

This is correct. However, with my current setup Online Videos are atleast viewable. Not Perfect occasional jerk here and there. Hulu.com is Ok but it gets annoying. Regular videos play fine though its flash video that seems to have issue all other videos play smooth, even when I port out the video via HDMI it still runs great.

Maybe when adobe gets a full mobile version on Flash they can modify there code to Optimize it bit more for Atom. My Iphone plays Flash videos 10x better than my netbook. But as said the Netbook was not designed for Major Computer Processing. Most people buy netbooks thinking they are getting the same as a laptop, or because its "Trendy" Not realizing thats its a very energy efficiency portable PC.

suapapa
September 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
if you use compiz with default setting.
try this out.

run "gconf-editor" (or whatever)
find "/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter" and
replace value to "0"

this means no anti-aliasing while screen zoom-up(super+mouse scroll) and so on.
but, makes feel-able speed up for me.

m3w
September 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Excellent guide! Got my Dell mini 10 running well enough for what I use it for. Thanks :)

cabrerachaparro
September 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi,

Please Help!!!! I haven't solved the problem, yet. I run compiz from a terminal and I got this message:

xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Please, anybody can help me.

tjwallace
September 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hi,

Please Help!!!! I haven't solved the problem, yet. I run compiz from a terminal and I got this message:

Please, anybody can help me.

You said you couldn't install some of the psb packages? Did you add the ubuntu-modile repository. Read the first post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7719272&postcount=1

cabrerachaparro
September 16th, 2009, 04:43 AM
You said you couldn't install some of the psb packages? Did you add the ubuntu-modile repository. Read the first post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7719272&postcount=1
Hi,

Yes, I could install all the packages. This is what I get when run "aptitude search psb":

i psb-firmware - Binary firmware for the Poulsbo (psb) 3D X
i psb-kernel-headers - Kernel module headers for the Poulsbo (psb
i psb-kernel-source - Kernel module for the Poulsbo (psb) 2D X11
i A psb-modules - Kernel module built for -generic or -lpia
i A xpsb-glx - X11 drivers for Poulsbo (psb) 3D accelerat
i A xserver-xorg-video-psb - X.Org X server -- Intel Poulsbo (2D)

So, I understand that I have installed those packages, but I don't know why I get this error when I try to run compiz even the WHITELIST is modified to include psb.

Thanks.

matrixfede
September 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hi, thanks for this work. I've one queation, you have solved the USB freeze problem?

THanks and sorry for my english

sammyboy405
September 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi, thanks for this work. I've one queation, you have solved the USB freeze problem?

THanks and sorry for my english

Yes, The USB Issue has not came back make sure you follow the full Guide listed on the first post.

matrixfede
September 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Im Modifying these procedures and Including New steps, and tweaks that have been proven to work thus far. This should work for any system having a GMA500 Video Chipset. Although it was written using a Dell Mini 10. So I Have not tested it on any other system. But there is no reason why it wouldn't work on other systems.

Before Starting this Make sure you have the Latest Kernel. As of right now its .15 But if there is one Higher Make sure you have it before performing the steps below.

First lets check to make sure you have the latest Kernel version before we proceed.
From the Terminal:

uname -a
This will display your Kernel version. If it is 2.6.28.15 or Higher You are done. And continue down below. If it is not then do the following steps:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgradeReboot
go back into a terminal

uname -a
Make sure your Upgrade happened. If it did and you want to get rid of your old Kernel you can do:

sudo apt-get autoremove
If not, no harm done, it wont hurt anything to leave it other than eat up about 100meg of space. Just continue on with the Guide.

---Continue on From here if you have the Newest Kernel Version---

From the Terminal:
Add this to your repository

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-mobile.list
add these 2 lines

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
then ctrl+o (which saves it)
Then ctrl+x (To Exit)

Now you need to authenticate the keys

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30[/code]Now that your Ubuntu-Mobile Key is added do the Following.

The Following Packages need to be Installed Most are Dependences.

* psb-firmware - Binary firmware for the Poulsbo (psb) 3D X11 driver
* psb-modules - Kernel module built for -generic or -lpia kernel
* psb-kernel-source - Kernel module for the Poulsbo (psb) 2D X11 driver
* psb-kernel-headers - Kernel module headers for the Poulsbo (psb) 2D X11 driver
* xpsb-glx - X11 drivers for Poulsbo (psb) 3D acceleration
* poulsbo-driver-3d - Metapackage for the 3D Poulsbo (psb) X11 driver.
* poulsbo-driver-2d - Metapackage for the 2D Poulsbo (psb) X11 driver.

From a Terminal (this should install all the above):

sudo apt-get update
Reboot
Make sure you have NO USB devices Hooked up as this will cause conflicting results with the poulsbo-driver-3d drivers. (see fix below for stability)

Once rebooted open a terminal and make a back up of your xorg.conf file.(fresh install may have a null xorg.conf file this is normal and ok)

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakOpen up your xorg.conf and add the below contents inside it.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.confMake the Section "Device" Look like this :

Section "Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

"AccelMethod" "UXA"
Reboot one last time and you should be rocking and rolling. Now what this did is allow the 3d Drivers to be installed and are in Partial use. Compiz and any other 3d Software "May" Not work I haven't 100% tested it. But modifying your xorg.conf with the above setting will allow you to be able to use External USB Devices with out random freezes.

If you have a fresh install you may need to recheck your xorg.conf file after you reboot as when the xserver configures itself it may put back the default settings. Those that had xserver setup before hand you should be fine. But if you feel that something isnt right, you may want to go and check your xorg.conf file again and be sure that the options are still there.

Leave out the xorg.conf if you don't plan on using anything USB. Although since your keyboard / touch-pad is technically USB I still had random Freezes Have 3d Enabled.

So I Highly Recommend using my xorg.conf example. I have had great success with it.

For those who are getting DRM errors after Upgrading from / to a new Kernel after doing the Old Procedures I had listed here do the following.

Reboot and then you should be good to go again. You may want to add the 3d to give you some extra performance. If so just start from the top of this message and start from the beginning like you where installing for the first time. and that should do the trick.

I want to thank the MyDellMini (http://www.mydellmini.com) Forum members who helped me sort all this out and been patient with me. meecect and durj. If you have a Dell Mini and need some more additional help or want to be in our community follow the link MyDellMini (http://www.mydellmini.com)

Also for those Brave souls who would like to take things a step further and tweak the performance. Follow the Guide / Step / Suggestion found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7104256&postcount=1) on the Ubuntu forums. Do not do those Steps unless you know what you are doing. It Does require some Linux Knowledge. And It has you upgrade to the 2.6.30 Kernel. So it "May" not work with the PSB Drivers. The Tweaking guide was written for desktop style Intel Video cards and not Portable. So use this information at your own risk if you decide to play with tweaking the performance. Ive gone as far as I can take it until I decide to bite the bullet and try out the 2.6.30 Kernel. Once I get some more time I will play with 2.6.30.

I wrote this kinda quick, im hoping I haven't left anything out. This should work on Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I have not Tried Xubuntu, But I bet it will work fine on it as well.

I will do my best to keep this updated as new versions come out. And fixes for existing issues like the USB / 3d issue.

So is sufficient do this and I don't have usb problem? Also I have to do the modify to compiz for have compiz work. Now I've the gma working. Is necessary modify the memory to 768?

matrixfede
September 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
After doing this (install gma 500) the bluethooth icon is disappeared. why? This means that the bluetooth device dosen't work anymore?

Anybody knows how to fix Fn keys on asus 1101ha?

thanks

jbernardo
September 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
After doing this (install gma 500) the bluethooth icon is disappeared. why? This means that the bluetooth device dosen't work anymore?

Anybody knows how to fix Fn keys on asus 1101ha?

thanks
I have bluetooth working on kubuntu karmic (but I am using blueman). As for the fn keys, we'll probably have to fix the eee-laptop kernel module.

crgutierrez
September 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Nope, it does not. The only reason I keep Vista on my AO751h is that the front ic does not work. everything else fine! Best regards from Costa Rica.Carlos

pumex1990
September 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi,
first of all - thanks a lot for that tutorial. It helped mi a lot to set up graphic correctly on my EeePC 1101HA.
But... it is not as good as it shoud be :) I noticed, that after doing averything that is told in the first post of this topic, I'm unable to play mp3 files in Rhythmbox anymore - it says that it was not able to find "Dekoder application/x-desktop". I can't also play mp3 with Totem (it says 'Failed to create output image buffer of 426x240 pixels'), but I can play them with SMPlayer with no problems. And I can also play avi files with all of the players.
I'm sure that it is caused by things that are written in the first post here, because when it happened to me for the first time I gaved up and make a hard drive format, and after installing fresh Ibintu 9.04 everything was working correctly until I did thos again...
Any ideas what to do?

pjman
September 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I got the error in Totem also when trying to play a music file. I had to disable visual effects.

Edit -> Preferences -> Display tab -> Uncheck "Show visual effects when an audio file is played"

I still get a similar error when playing video files. For those I just use VLC.

pumex1990
September 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I installed Banshee cause I was unable to use Rhythmbox, and I'm starting to think that it is much more better :)

ayoli
October 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
I got the error in Totem also when trying to play a music file. I had to disable visual effects.

Edit -> Preferences -> Display tab -> Uncheck "Show visual effects when an audio file is played"

I still get a similar error when playing video files. For those I just use VLC.

I had the same issue, but I only disabled vizualisations in Totem and now it works (with desktop effects enabled) :)
Also, for the record, latest rhythmbox from getdeb.net runs nicely here (just laggy sometimes if the netbook has too many apps running).

raghu.rnr
October 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Hey Sammy

Just wanted to thank you for this post. This post gives hope to people who have netbooks with GMA 500 graphics card & gives the assurance that the card is not all that bad...

I tried the steps on my Acer Aspire One AO751 & the performance changed dramatically. Also, visual effects works just fine. The 768 MB RAM recognition & the DRI option did the trick I guess.

Once again, thank you very much for the post.. Please continue to enlighten us in the future

sammyboy405
October 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Im running 9.10 Now with GMA500

Compiz running Like a Champ. And I Personally think the performance exceeds Windows 7

I will Post up a litle how to later on. Its not much different than whats posted here. A Little more involved

SQuark
October 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM

Compiz running Like a Champ. And I Personally think the performance exceeds Windows 7

I will Post up a litle how to later on. Its not much different than whats posted here. A Little more involved

Fantastic news! \\:D/
sammyboy, you're a genious! :D

samurailink3
October 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
When I try to install the psb packages, apt tries to remove all of the xorg packages? Any ideas?

rednukleus
October 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM

I will Post up a litle how to later on.

I have a new AO751h and haven't installed Linux yet. I am highly interested in getting 9.10 on it with GMA500 support, so please do help with that when you get the chance.

I am trying to decide whether I use this netbook with Fedora 11 since that is an option (http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/09/26/gma-500-poulsbo-driver-for-fedora-11-soon-to-be-in-rpm-fusion/), Debian (I've heard but not seen that it works well right away), or Ubuntu.

edit: Decided to go with Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 and will follow this set of instructions. (http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406)

sammyboy405
October 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
I have a new AO751h and haven't installed Linux yet. I am highly interested in getting 9.10 on it with GMA500 support, so please do help with that when you get the chance.

I am trying to decide whether I use this netbook with Fedora 11 since that is an option (http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/09/26/gma-500-poulsbo-driver-for-fedora-11-soon-to-be-in-rpm-fusion/), Debian (I've heard but not seen that it works well right away), or Ubuntu.

edit: Decided to go with Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 and will follow this set of instructions. (http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406)

Yep! Those are good Instructions..

However!!!

Make sure you FULLLY update Ubuntu before doing so. Else you will end up with a Flashing Screen that wont let you do anything. I Can replicate it several times over. But I Havent figured out how to fix it / prevent it.

So the work around for me was to upgrade ubuntu 9.10 Kernel as far as I could then installed the graphics drivers. Helpfully I can figure something out before the next Kernel Release.

excogitation
October 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Helpfully I can figure something out before the next Kernel Release.

Just reinstall psb-kernel-source after the next kernel release.
I only managed to get it to work again after a kernel release by
reinstalling from the new kernel's recovery console:
dpkg -i psb-kernel-source_4.41.2-0ubuntu1~910um1_all.deb

jbernardo
October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think you need to keep reinstalling, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" should be enough to rebuild the kernel modules.

Dr_Free
October 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think you need to keep reinstalling, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" should be enough to rebuild the kernel modules.

This a.m., I updated from 2.6.31-12 to -13. After rebooting, the screen flashed and wouldn't sync, so I rebooted in recovery mode and tried running "dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" from a root shell. dpkg-reconfigure complained psb-kernel-source wasn't completely configured or installed.

I was only able to get things going again by removing and reinstalling modules.

KillKRT
October 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi!

Reading this long thread I got a little confused :confused:
It is not clear to me :oops: what is the procedure (if it exists) to get GMA 500 works on kernel 31-13 (fresh installation of Ubuntu 9.10 beta).
I've already followed a few methods on my Asus 1101HA, but they didn't work ](*,)
Could anyone help me?

Tnx.

[sorry for my English]

SQuark
October 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hi!

Reading this long thread I got a little confused :confused:
It is not clear to me :oops: what is the procedure (if it exists) to get GMA 500 works on kernel 31-13 (fresh installation of Ubuntu 9.10 beta).
I've already followed a few methods on my Asus 1101HA, but they didn't work ](*,)
Could anyone help me?

Tnx.

[sorry for my English]

Try this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

KillKRT
October 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Try this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

Perfect! Now it works!!! \\:D/
Thank you very much!!!
I recommend this guide to all 1101HA owners! Follow it step by step!;-)
So far I've skipped just a step: modifiyng the kernel parameters (in grub), because it seems to be optional.

jbernardo
October 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Thank you very much!!!
So far I've skipped just a step: modifiyng the kernel parameters (in grub), because it seems to be optional.

It is optional, but I put it there because on my 1101HA it gave much better performance... :D

fiamazo
October 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you very much!!!

Also my 1101HA seems to work with that guide...
BUT ...
Suspend-to-ram works as expected, but when I resume the system, after some time (from seconds to minutes) the screen begins "flickering" wildly, and the whole system is dead (i.e. no caps, no fn keys working, no switching to console, just the plain old power button works). So, the only way out is hard reset ...

This is, btw, the same issue that I had with the "standard" karmic beta /daily , without the additional drivers. Apart from the wrong resolution, after a while, randomly, the screen went "crazy" and the only solution was hard reset. So I did the additional drivers installation from the console, in single mode, with wired network.
Any hint on that?
Cheers
fiamazo

jbernardo
October 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
@fiamazo: get your eee back to asus asap... The only thing I've seen remotely approaching that is when I have my eee in performance mode and I suspend, the text fonts get fuzzy (eg in konsole) and I have to switch to a console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back (ctrl-alt-f7) to fix it. Also, sometimes when I switch to power saving mode I see some fuzzyness/flickering, but a switch to a console and back fixes it.

fiamazo
October 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
@fiamazo: get your eee back to asus asap... The only thing I've seen remotely approaching that is when I have my eee in performance mode and I suspend, the text fonts get fuzzy (eg in konsole) and I have to switch to a console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back (ctrl-alt-f7) to fix it. Also, sometimes when I switch to power saving mode I see some fuzzyness/flickering, but a switch to a console and back fixes it.

I see.
In fact, I'm using linux from an SD card, and I never ever used windows on the hard disk, since I don't want to accept the EULA of Windows XP, and I'm trying to ask for refund for the Windows XP license, from Asus (Italy).
I also experienced the fuzzy fonts after a resume, just 30 seconds before the whole system going crazy, and the screen flashing (indeed, it's not really flashing, you see that there's the "desktop image" on the back, just distorded by some crazy diagonal "wind").
Moreover, since I have the right drivers AND I don't suspend, I never experienced any lock/freezing of the screen. The system works/worked fine for hours.
That's why I thought it's a kernel/module issue, but I don't know how to log/record/report it, not related to the machine itself ...
I can try to boot windows, and stay in the very first screen, without acceppting any EULA, just waiting for the screen to crash ... If you think that the machine itself is defective, then the behaviour should appear also in Windows, or it's very initial stage ...
Thanks for the comments, btw ...
Fiamazo

crownedzero
October 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
First off I wanted to say thanks for this thread. I spent the better part of a day trying to figure this out, this was the only thread I found that actually worked! Also just wanted to bump it so I can find it later =)

Mohammed Abbas
October 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hello there .. I recently bought a dell mini 12 on which I installed kubuntu 9.04 .. I followed this tutorial but after I ran

I pressed restart but a black screen was showing and the machine didn't restart at all .. then after booting once again I still see a black screen .. also there was a problem in autheticating the keys related to the previous steps .. where did I go wrong ?

Brett_M
October 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Has anyone else lost the shutdown splash screen? I still have the boot/startup splash screen with the Ubuntu logo and progress bar, but there's nothing but a blank screen on shutdown/hibernate. I wouldn't consider this to be a significant bug but rather an annoyance. However, I would like to know that the shutdown/hibernate process is progressing and, thus, the splash screen would be nice to have.

BTW: I'm still not getting anything flash working, even simple flash-based websites. I'm wondering if my flash install isn't valid - is there anything I can do to check or fix this?

Thanks,
- Brett

cabrerachaparro
October 21st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Hi,
Please could you tell me what is the guide to install the driver psb for Ubuntu 9.10. Actually, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 in a Aspire One 751H and I could run compiz, but I want to upgrade to 9.10 version and I would to like how to install the psb drivers.

Thank you.

pumex1990
October 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
I did this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406 on my Asus Eee 1101ha after upgrading to Karmic, and it's working :)

fiamazo
October 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I did this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406 on my Asus Eee 1101ha after upgrading to Karmic, and it's working :)

I've here to say my very truth on 1101ha. I initially installed 9.10 Beta on my 1101ha, and after installing the proper *psb* drivers, I had a somehow working machine. The real problem was that, sometimes and indipendently from the cpu usage, X decided to freeze, showing some sort of distorted "previous" image flickering and dancing ... No way to recover, only reboot helped. BTW, the problem showed up exactly every time I resumed from suspend, just few seconds afterwards ... and only randomly after a fresh reboot.
Because of that, I decided to give a chance to 9.04. Great, rock solid, I guess I've still to reboot once (after installing psb stuff, obviously ...), I'm just suspending and resuming ;-)
Anyway, I really hope that there will be a standard way in the future to use the Poulsbo drivers also with later kernels, and that Karmic will support GMA 500 chipset in a semi official way (~official ppas).
Cheers,
Fiamazo

samusishere
October 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
HI can someone tell direct me in the right direction on how to get ubuntu 9.10 running on a acer aspire one 751h with compiz. i curenty run ubuntu 9.04 with compiz and a oveclocked cpu and its the best operating system i have ever used. but i really want to stay up to date. please helppppp

cabrerachaparro
October 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hi samusishere,

How did you overlock your Aspire One? I would like to do it in my Aspire.

Thanks.

FrozenFOXX
October 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to chime in with my Asus Eee 1101HA. Thanks to all the hard work and this wonderful tuning guide, sammy (and naturally the others referenced and even in this thread) my netbook is no longer a cute, stylish, expensive brick and a slick, crowd-drawing system.

Using Kubuntu 9.10 RC with this guide and the Net Book Remix. Wireless works, suspend works, everything works. Still testing to see if I can get kwin effects working but even if they don't the EXA option was plenty stable and the UXA option thus far seems pretty stable.

No noticeable difference for me doing a mem=896mb for the /etc/default/grub but then it's not like I'm going to be seeing it as a barn burner in the first place. I'm just happy it's all working nicely and it's all thanks to you hard-working folks. Thank you.

crownedzero
October 29th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Ive been running a new config setup. Thought id share it. Haven't had any lock ups yet. AND im getting 130 to 150fps with Compiz Working.

Here it goes. Im going off memory on what I did. You must already have done guide written above.

Open A Terminal:

You should find a line that looks like this (your root UUID and kernel version will/may vary)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet splash Change it to this (bold is to emphasize what needs changing)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet nosplash mem=786mb
This tells grub to force the kernel to recognize only 786mb of the installed 1GB, leaving 238mb free for the graphics adapter to use. The “nosplash” option prevents any sexy graphics being displayed during boot. I’m not sure if this is *essential* but it seemed like a good idea?

Now for Compiz.

WHITELIST=”psb nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”Now your going to need to edit a line in your xorg.conf file. Doing this will allow for 3d effects.

Option "DRI" "off"
and make it look like
Option "DRI" "on"
Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

click System -> Preferences -> Appearance and click the Visual Effects tab. I chose “Normal” just to get things started…

Now Hope and Pray? LOL Have fun with it .. Also Check out X.Org Wiki - Home check out there FAQ there on some different options you can do inside your xorg.conf file with the 3d/2d settings.

Also Play with the Memory settings for the Kernel. I just choice a semi round number. I also installed compizconfig-settings-manager to fine tune the compiz setup you might or might not want to try it? Rotating desktop seems to work.

I have the upgraded 2 gigs of RAM what would you suggest allocating for system/vid use?

I also followed your instructions up to excluding the memory allocation and I am still experiencing random freezes; thoughts?

samusaranisback
October 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
hi, i have a acer aspire one 751h and would like to know if its worth it to upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 or just keep 9.04. i have excellent video performance and dont want to loose that. but if eny of you have good performance with the acer aspire one 751h and ubuntu 9.10. please tell me.

jjzone
October 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Sammyboy 405;
Those are some excellent instructions! Thanks for sharing. I was able to get my GMA 500 equipped Acer A0751 up and running with the 3d acceleration by following your instructions. The only thing I did a little differently is since I used another route to get the Poulsbo function in the first place I had the launchpad repositories on my machine, so I let Synaptic get the 2d/3d driver for me. But otherwise I followed your instructions and everything worked flawlessly.:KS

Ubscenee
October 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I've here to say my very truth on 1101ha. I initially installed 9.10 Beta on my 1101ha, and after installing the proper *psb* drivers, I had a somehow working machine. The real problem was that, sometimes and indipendently from the cpu usage, X decided to freeze, showing some sort of distorted "previous" image flickering and dancing ... No way to recover, only reboot helped. BTW, the problem showed up exactly every time I resumed from suspend, just few seconds afterwards ... and only randomly after a fresh reboot.
Because of that, I decided to give a chance to 9.04. Great, rock solid, I guess I've still to reboot once (after installing psb stuff, obviously ...), I'm just suspending and resuming ;-)
Anyway, I really hope that there will be a standard way in the future to use the Poulsbo drivers also with later kernels, and that Karmic will support GMA 500 chipset in a semi official way (~official ppas).
Cheers,
Fiamazo

I have the same netbook (eee 1101ha) and had that issue for every single release of ubuntu 9.10 kernel, it is the ath9k wifi driver, i have to recompile it everytime (obviously you need build-essential and blah blah):

wget http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
tar xvfj compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-2.6
./scripts/driver-select ath9k
make
sudo make install
sudo make unload
sudo reboot
everything should work fine after that (sorry for the half-OT)

russki_drewski
October 30th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Open A Terminal:

Now for Compiz.

Option "DRI" "off"
and make it look like
Option "DRI" "on"
Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

sammyboy, I'm using Karmic 9.10, and the file that you specified above ("/boot/grub/menu.lst") doesn't exist on my system. Should I create it or is it somewhere else. I know that Karmic does use a new grub loader, so maybe I need to look elsewhere?

thx,
russki_drewski

Ubscenee
October 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
@russki-drewski: It should be in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

frehberg
October 31st, 2009, 04:15 PM
By default poulsbo driver did not allow me to run external 1440x900 display at Dell Mini 10 via HDMI port. But, the following Modeline added to "Monitor" Section, solves the issue. If you intend to use a different resolution or different refresh-rate, you need another Modeline.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Modeline "1440x900_60.00" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

I generated the modeline using the following command
"$ cvt 1440 900 60"

For more details see: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Modelines

russki_drewski
October 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
So, I've followed all these directions pretty closely and they've worked for me, for the most part. The only problem is that the directions to get compiz working didn't work. I think I might possibly know what the problem is though. When I was going through the directions provided in the link for Ubuntu 9.10 I came to the part where I needed to edit the "xorg.conf" and being on a freshly installed 9.10, I didn't have one. I found the command to create it, but it wouldn't let me run the command because xorg was in use and I couldn't figure out how run the command with out having the xorg server running, so I just created my own file and used the contents that I was given in the walkthrough.

Doing this I was able to fix my resolution so that it runs at the native 1366x768 (I'm on an Acer AO751h) and glxgears now gives a decent 1300 frames in 5 sec. as opposed to about 100+ before. But I can't enable the visual effects and I can't use Blender, even when I run it using "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender"

So how do I get xorg to generate its own xorg.conf file?

I'm still pretty beginner in the technical aspects of Ubuntu. I've been using it for over 2 years, but its always worked pretty well for me out of the box, until I bought this new netbook. :)

Thanks for all the help.

russki_drewski

pirkster
November 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM
System: Acfer 11.6" w/poulsbo graphics A0751h [dang you Costco for making such a tempting prize... ;-]

What once worked for others, now appears to be broken, or maybe it is just me. Followed the most recent directions, and they seem consistent in their results - psb-kernel-source looks to be broken. Everything looked good [I did have to manually add a couple of packages], but everything blows up when grabbing the kernel source. Here is the error:

psb-kernel-source is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libva1
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
[snip - unable to remove libva1 because psb-kernel-source fails to build ;-]
Building module:
cleaning build area....
su nobody -c "make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.31-14-generic LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build DRM_MODULES=psb"....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/ for more information.
dpkg: error processing psb-kernel-source (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
psb-kernel-source
DKMS make.log for psb-kernel-source-4.41.1 for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
Sat Oct 31 22:59:31 PDT 2009
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drmP.h:93,
from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.c:36:
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_os_linux.h:54: error: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: note: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
I am dead with just terminal access, so if someone can steer me around this error, much appreciated. Understand if a bug is being worked on. I can reload it and skip the vid upgrade until things are better...

netbook remix worked perfect on the Acer 10.1"

russki_drewski
November 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Okay, I figured out how to run the Xorg -configure command. I restarted in recovery mode (by holding shift at startup) and ran the command.

The file was put in "/root/xorg.conf.new"

I copied it to "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" and I made the appropriate changes and I still cannot enable the System>Preference>Appearance>Visual Effects>Normal.

Does anyone know what I need to do?

I mostly want this to work because I would really like to use blender on this machine. In its current state, when Blender draws to the screen everythings all wacky. When I try to have it run using software rendering (see my above post) it doesn't change anything. ???

If someone knows what to do, I would be much obliged. :)

bodhi.zazen
November 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
These instructions worked for me :

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406

They were given to me on my own GMA 500 thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1274343

Thank you Marko Helenius (http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=902893)

egrep
November 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
See? The missing link! Grab the "right" poulsbo-kernel-source. I was real close, but the soiurce error stumped me. Thanks!

I am reading the entire post, but it look like the first .deb downloads are the correct path. Sweet.

I'll report back as soon as I know anything...

egrep
November 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hey, how did I get my egrep id back? I thought it was lost. Sweet ;-]

egrep
November 3rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
O... M... G... it worked. The res is exact on the Acer A0751h, and the framerate seems very snappy. I will do some testing later. I was not able to get this beast into recovery mode, so I grabbed the ppa install script from a terminal window as root [sudo] and rebooted. Spooky first time to see if it would grenade. Piece 'o cake. Ya'll rock.

Now, do I enjoy the view for a bit before I do this all again on the 16GB SD card? Runs fine, but a bit slower booting and starting apps. Without a disk sucking power, the A0751h should run for like 4 hours on battery... [led backlit display is supposed to extend the life by ~2 hrs alone].

A big thanks to all who worked on this. This is an amazing little machine now.

teatimest
November 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
System: Acfer 11.6" w/poulsbo graphics A0751h [dang you Costco for making such a tempting prize... ;-]

What once worked for others, now appears to be broken, or maybe it is just me. Followed the most recent directions, and they seem consistent in their results - psb-kernel-source looks to be broken. Everything looked good [I did have to manually add a couple of packages], but everything blows up when grabbing the kernel source. Here is the error:

libva1
[snip - unable to remove libva1 because psb-kernel-source fails to build ;-]
Building module:
cleaning build area....
su nobody -c "make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.31-14-generic LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build DRM_MODULES=psb"....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/ for more information.
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
psb-kernel-source
DKMS make.log for psb-kernel-source-4.41.1 for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
Sat Oct 31 22:59:31 PDT 2009
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drmP.h:93,
from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.c:36:
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_os_linux.h:54: error: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: note: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
I am dead with just terminal access, so if someone can steer me around this error, much appreciated. Understand if a bug is being worked on. I can reload it and skip the vid upgrade until things are better...

netbook remix worked perfect on the Acer 10.1"

I have the same problem with same error message. It was working well with 9.4, but after upgraded to 9.10, it uninstalled libdrm-poulsbo. When I installed libdrm-poulsbo back, it uninstalled whole a lot of thing... ended up losing xorg.

ssombra
November 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hi everybody,
I updated from 9.04 to 9.10 and followed these instructions:
http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406&page=5
(see post from Lucazade, #45)
and everyting is working. I have compiz running and a very good performance. Glxgears is reporting more than 1,000 frames.

Thanks everybody for continuos support and instructions.

russki_drewski
November 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
ssombra,

What machine are you using? (Netbook? Which make & model)

ssombra
November 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
ssombra,

What machine are you using? (Netbook? Which make & model)

Sorry, Dell Mini 10.

zackdk
November 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hello Everyone TRY THIS WITH ANY NETBOOK WITH GMA500...

I have Ubuntu Netbook for Acer Aspire 751!
I managed to install it properly, it also really smooth for GMA 500 poulsbo!
I know everyone at issues with it, as far as i am concern it does work properly for me, perfect resolution, and all video works better than under Win Xp...So i'm really happy!

Here is what i did, only works for ubuntu 9.10:
Open your terminal and then copy paste each of this!
DO IT ONE BY ONE, then say yes when they ask for install it without verifying, it's fine...It works for me so far... :)

wget http://poulsbo-karmic.angelfire.com/files/poulsbo1.tar.gz

tar -zxvf
poulsbo1.tar.gz

cd poulsbo1

sudo ./install.pl

At the end, just reboot!

just type reboot in the terminal, that's it, enjoy guys :)

datswite
November 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
zackdk - Thanks!! This fixed the video and sound on my Aspire One 751h!!!!

Ken

lucazade
November 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hello Everyone TRY THIS WITH ANY NETBOOK WITH GMA500...

I have Ubuntu Netbook for Acer Aspire 751!
I managed to install it properly, it also really smooth for GMA 500 poulsbo!

Why haven't you linked to my original deb and script?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8182373&postcount=87

This is just my work, renamed.. thanks!! :lolflag:

AdamWill
November 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
wow, that was classy. shall we get an admin up in here?

jbernardo
November 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
That guy only made two posts on the forums until now, both advertising this rehash of your (Lucazade) work. Strange.

zackdk
November 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That guy, it's me!!!
I haven't done anything wrong ok!!!
Also i found hard to fixed my video problem on acer aspire 751....

No one had an easy step by step explaination...if you did you should have put it down here, ok you geeks!
I'm new to this ****, and basicly i like stuff to work straight from the box, like most people do!

So don't say stuff like he just did 2 message strange.....?
Who you are with you 3000 messages to tell me that, god?
NO!

So please respect other people too, specially when they start using ubuntu on their acer aspire 751, ok!!!

Also Lucazade and Jbernado, don't say stuff which isn't true ok:!!!!

I found my information here:

http://wiki.ubuntu-fr.org/dell_inspiron_mini12

SO both **** off, thank :)

lucazade
November 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Also Lucazade and Jbernado, don't say stuff which isn't true ok:!!!!

I did both the deb and the script, this is the true!
..and.. i've only asked you *why* you haven't linked directly the source.
bye

michael37
November 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
To deviate from the less productive discussion and focus on more productive.

The script worked for me (Thanks Lucazade), and the Poulsbo 2D is working very well overall.

3D stuff has a very specific problem. It works quite well after reboot before the first sleep. 3D does not work after waking up from sleep. What does not work mean? Glxgears open a black rectangle and shows nothing. Exits with a "bus error". Gnometris (Karmic - only, Jaunty and earlier were 2D) gives this error:

(gnometris:29233): ClutterGLX-CRITICAL **: Unable to make the stage window 0x2200049 the current GLX drawable

Glxinfo output looks healthy after sleep (GLX renderer).

Any ideas? Anyone experienced this symptoms?

lucazade
November 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
michael37 look at this page.. there is a fix for the suspend, i don't know if could solve your issue.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/AO751h

jjzone
November 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Did you happen to use Wubi to install your Ubuntu as a dual boot? If you did, suspend will not work on the Linux side, this is documented on Wubi.
I have the same Acer A0751 and I did have suspend working with the Poulbso driver when I was using GRUB to boot 8.10 along with XP. Now that I am using Wubi with 9.04 I still have a fully functional Poulsbo with 3d but no suspend.

ssombra
November 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I upgraded from 9.04 on a Dell mini 10 And i have to say that i am very happy with the performance. How ever, I have two problems that, despite I can live with them, I would like to solve them:
1. No brightness control. I can't control the brightness. The Fn keys don't work, nut neither the brightness daemon on the bar. In 9.04 it worked without a problem.
2. The internal mic isn't working. It isn't even recognized by the system. If I plug an external mic I can use it without problems

is anyone having the same problems?
Any idea about possible solutions?
Thanks in advance!

pjman
November 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I have the same issues with my Mini 10. No idea how to fix them. I'd also like to get hibernation working which also worked in 9.04.

iamcowdrunk
November 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Worked perfectly with EEEPC 1101HA and Ubuntu 9.04.

Steps:
added deb and deb-src to system>admin>software sources
imported the key form the key server
installed psb driver
---
Reboot gave a decent amount of errors. Just clicked through with ok, low graphics mode, ok, yes, ok, and whatnot untill you get logged in.
---
edited xorg.conf with EXA.
installed psb-kernel-source which fixed the errors on boot.

PilotPaul
November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have applied the lukazade ppa script (for which many thanks) to a 9.10 installation (with all current updates) on an Acer Aspire One 751h with good results. Compiz fully running (even the cube!) and good performance. However when using the psb driver I find that my power management is somehow affected. Under psb I have no tab under "Power Management Preferences" for "On Battery Power" - only the tab for "On AC Power" is present, and as a result the system seems to think it is still on AC power when I remove the power plug. Resume also fails (hangs) in this mode. If I re-enable the standard VESA driver (by renaming xorg.conf) then the power management (including suspend/resume) all functions correctly, although obviously I then no longer have the correct screen resolution or advanced features of the psb driver available.

Anyone else having this problem or have any ideas for a workaround? This is the last problem that is stopping me moving over to karmic full-time (I have Jaunty on a separate partition that I use for production work - the psb driver and power management work fine on this).

Many thanks in advance....

arimannis
November 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
will this work on the latest 9.10 i noticed this post was before it came out

sonnet
November 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Did anyone notice there are new driver for linux and xp released on 23/10?
You could find here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2159&DwnldID=17376&lang=eng
They're generic (means included driver for other vga) and for embedded devica.
Some people on this forum
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-10-discussion/14619-gma-500-booster.html
tried these new driver and it seems they offer a noticeable boost.
They should be the same used on this article with moblin:
http://eeepc.net/netbook-with-moblin-linux-gma500-graphics-run-quake-iii-and-hd-video-easy/
If anyone could find the way to install this on ubuntu, it would be great!

Udibuntu
November 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Same problem as PilotPaul (#125) - no battery tab on power management and no action in the battery icon on panel.

I used Lucazade's ftp link, and still get poor performance (5 FPS youtube clips, lagging scroll in Firefox etc.)..

AAO 751, Karmic

Shinmera
November 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have an AO751h and I tried the whole psd-kernel-source thing.
I tried the scripts, I tried what was written in the help section but nothing seems to work.
I'm using EEEBuntu with the Array-kernel. (Hope that isn't the problem)
It always fails at building the psd-kernel-source:

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.29-1-netbook LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/2.6.29-1-netbook/build DRM_MODULES=psb...........(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.29-1-netbook (i686)
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/ for more information.
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
psb-kernel-source
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
The make log says:

DKMS make.log for psb-kernel-source-4.41.2 for kernel 2.6.29-1-netbook (i686)
Mon Nov 16 19:49:04 CET 2009
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29-1-netbook/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.29-1-netbook'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_auth.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_bufs.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_context.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_dma.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_drawable.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_drv.o
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_drv.c:477:2: warning: #warning Init pat
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_drv.c:477:2: warning: #warning Init pat
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_fops.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_ioctl.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_irq.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_lock.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_memory.o
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_memory.c: In function ‘agp_remap’:
/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_memory.c:267: error: ‘struct agp_memory’ has no member named ‘pages’
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build/drm_memory.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.2/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.29-1-netbook'
I hope you can still help me! =)

maildcastro
November 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM

Open A Terminal:

Now for Compiz.

Option "DRI" "off"
and make it look like
Option "DRI" "on"
Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot sammyboy403, by the workaround to enable compiz!!! I did all steps mentioned in your post, and now compiz works very fine. But i'm not sure about the step of limiting the system memory.
I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 with an Intel GMA500 video card, and i haven't seen any changes in performance limiting the RAM used by the system.
I think that the rest 256 mb of memory is not assigned to the video, and then it is not necessary to reserve it (at least in my system). I have proved both configs (with and without memory limit) and lspci shows the same amount of video memory.

dcp@LiTMe-Mini:~$ sudo lspci -v -s 00:02.0
[sudo] password for dcp:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: Dell Device 02c6
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at d8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at d8380000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [b0] Vendor Specific Information <?>
Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
Kernel driver in use: psb

dcp@LiTMe-Mini:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 749 524 224 0 27 152
-/+ buffers/cache: 344 405
Swap: 1443 0 1443
dcp@LiTMe-Mini:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=f876508c-6102-4f9e-a465-bdc8ccd889ae ro vga=791 splash ignore_loglevel mem=768mb

Regards!
DCP

ghstzr0
November 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I ran the script provided by lucazade, and it runs much better (as expected). However, resume from suspend causes the system to lock up (cold reboot required sometimes, other times the netbook launcher stops responding but other apps still work). How can I fix this?

BTW, I have a Dell Mini 10 with UNR 9.10 installed.

MrWorf
December 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I ran the script provided by lucazade, and it runs much better (as expected). However, resume from suspend causes the system to lock up (cold reboot required sometimes, other times the netbook launcher stops responding but other apps still work). How can I fix this?

BTW, I have a Dell Mini 10 with UNR 9.10 installed.

Two things:

1. Disable DRI and effectively also 3D
2. Do not use video playback after you've successfully resumed once, it will make your screen go black (ie, lock up)

This is my experience from running GMA500 on UNR 9.10 using lucazade's script on my Fujitsu U820/U2010.

jbernardo
December 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Did you try adding the mem= parameter to the boot grub options? I have suspend and all working without disabling DRI on my Asus 1101HA.

Udibuntu
December 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Tried to set mem to 768 instead of 993, but there is nothing when I open

what's wrong?

jbernardo
December 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
If you have grub2, you need to edit /etc/default/grub, and afterwards run update-grub.

Udibuntu
December 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks JBernardo. Now where do I put line: "mem=768"? I don't see any similar parameter..

jbernardo
December 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Add it to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" parameters, then run update-grub.

pjman
December 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks JBernardo. Now where do I put line: "mem=768"? I don't see any similar parameter..

You will want to edit the file /etc/default/grub and change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line. Mine looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash mem=768mb"

After changing the file run update-grub and reboot.

It took me a while to find out how to do this with grub2. I found the instructions on the wiki page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

jurekiteresa
December 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi

On kernel 2.6.32 I have the same problem with psb-kernel-source as:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=125862078116578&w=2

Now I couldn't upgrade my system to new kernel.

Please advice.

Regards

Jurek

jbernardo
December 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The thread you posted has two fixes already, have you tried them? Or are you asking for a .deb package?

jurekiteresa
December 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi

I asking for a .deb package or other simply way ;)

Regards

Jurek

jbernardo
December 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ok, try this one. I basically picked Lucazade's package, patched the relevant sources as per the gentoo thread, and repackaged it. Haven't even tested if it builds, as I am running karmic right now.

russki_drewski
December 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I tried your .deb package because my kernel was just updated by Ubuntu updated and them my poulsbo stoped working. However, it didn't successfully install the kernel source and gave this error:

Error! Could not find module source directory.
Directory: /usr/src/psb-kernel-source-4.41.6 does not exist.

Got any idea of what's up?

jbernardo
December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I just tried it on lucid and it installed, no idea why it is giving you trouble. Have you tried removing the previous one first?

Udibuntu
December 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Thank you guys, mem is now 749 MB as the system monitor says.

But - no improvement whatsoever.

Did I miss something? I can watch youtube SD videos pretty decently, but any HD video is a slide show...

How can I know I have optimized my GMA500 under Karmic?

I have used Lucazade's FTP link, changed mem to 768, EXA/UXA change a caused a crash that made me reinstall Karmic...what else?

russki_drewski
December 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I just tried it on lucid and it installed, no idea why it is giving you trouble. Have you tried removing the previous one first?

Um... how do I do that?

jbernardo
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Um... how do I do that?

sudo aptitude purge psb-kernel-source

russki_drewski
December 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
sudo aptitude purge psb-kernel-source

Well, its giving me a different error now, but it still didn't go through. I'm attaching a screen shot with the error message.

I'm using Jaunty 9.04 on an Acer AO751h.

michael37
December 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Well, its giving me a different error now, but it still didn't go through. I'm attaching a screen shot with the error message.

I'm using Jaunty 9.04 on an Acer AO751h.

He said he tried it on Lucid. That's 10.04 beta.

All of these instructions are totally different on 9.04 -- MUCH easier. Just get rid of all your stuff, add ubuntumobile ppa and enjoy your life.

jbernardo
December 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
You don't need my deb for Jaunty or any kernel below 2.6.32. As michael37 put it, in Jaunty it is much easier, you just need the ubuntumobile ppa. To revert to that, remove my deb, and reinstall the one from the ppa and everything should work again. Whenever you update the kernel, as long as you don't change the major version, it should be enough to do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" to have the psb module again.

lucazade
December 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
You don't need my deb for Jaunty or any kernel below 2.6.32. As michael37 put it, in Jaunty it is much easier, you just need the ubuntumobile ppa. To revert to that, remove my deb, and reinstall the one from the ppa and everything should work again. Whenever you update the kernel, as long as you don't change the major version, it should be enough to do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" to have the psb module again.

Could you post or link to the patch, just for reference?
Thanks

jbernardo
December 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Could you post or link to the patch, just for reference?
Thanks

Sure! After all, I just hacked a package I downloaded from your PPA, the main work was yours.

I got the patch from here (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=126001659411979&w=2), after a link to that thread was posted here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8457199&postcount=139). Then I just expanded your deb, patched the relevant files, and repackaged it, changing the version number.
10 minutes max. If you can add it to your ppa it would be great.

I almost forgot, the original patch was done by Zac Medico as sed script in gentoo, according to the thread. Here it is:

8<--------------------------------------------------
psb: Fix compilation with kernel 2.6.32

This patch made from the Gentoo ebuild written by Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org>,
to fix compilation of the psb module with kernel 2.6.32

It should be safe to be used with older version of the kernel. It fixes two changes:
* In commit 6a12235c7d2d75c7d94b9afcaaecd422ff845ce0 phys_to_gart was removed
since it is a 1:1 mapping on all platforms.
* The acpi PREFIX constant is gone.

---
diff -urP psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.orig/drm_agpsupport.c psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.fix2632/drm_agpsupport.c
--- psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.orig/drm_agpsupport.c 2009-10-08 12:09:11.000000000 +0200
+++ psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.fix2632/drm_agpsupport.c 2009-12-05 02:46:28.000421027 +0100
@@ -524,7 +524,7 @@
DRM_DEBUG("Current page count is %ld\n", (long) mem->page_count);
mem->page_count = 0;
for (cur_page = pages; cur_page < last_page; ++cur_page)
- mem->pages[mem->page_count++] = phys_to_gart(page_to_phys(*cur_page));
+ mem->pages[mem->page_count++] = page_to_phys(*cur_page);
agp_be->mem = mem;
return 0;
}
diff -urP psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.orig/drm_edid.c psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.fix2632/drm_edid.c
--- psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.orig/drm_edid.c 2009-10-08 12:09:11.000000000 +0200
+++ psb-4.41.1-4mdv2010.0.fix2632/drm_edid.c 2009-12-05 02:46:38.155168734 +0100
@@ -39,7 +39,7 @@
if (obj && obj->type == ACPI_TYPE_BUFFER)
memcpy(edid, obj->buffer.pointer, obj->buffer.length);
else {
- printk(KERN_ERR PREFIX "Invalid _DDC data\n");
+ printk(KERN_ERR "ACPI: " "Invalid _DDC data\n");
status = -EFAULT;
kfree(obj);
}

jurekiteresa
December 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi

Jbernardo

Thank you for deb file.
It works fine with 2.6.32 kernel.

Regards

Jurek

Udibuntu
December 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Directory: /usr/src/psb-kernel-source-4.41.2 does not exist.
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
psb-kernel-source
udi@udi-netbook:~$

Got this when I upgraded to .16 and tried to update the psb driver. Now, I can log in in safe mode only.

Any clues?

jbernardo
December 11th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Got this when I upgraded to .16 and tried to update the psb driver. Now, I can log in in safe mode only.

Any clues?

Try first the dpkg-reconfigure, then if it doesn't work, removing and reinstalling psb-kernel-source should do the trick.

yozgoesdigital
December 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Here I also had problems after the kernel update to .16. Tried several times to run the 4.41.6 .deb (copied to a usb stick) mentioned earlier in the recovery mode. (with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo as a guideline)

While in recovery mode, things did not work, but when logged in under my own username the following things worked out for me:

# apt-get remove psb-kernel-source

copy .deb file to usb stick using another computer

mount usb-stick

# sudo dpkg -i [your location].deb

I do not know what I exactly did, but maybe others can use this information to get their system running again.
(BTW everybody thanks for the support over here!!!)

smirby
December 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Some personal experience (Asus Eeepc 1101HA) and Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR):

- the "new" system for updating the video drivers (found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo) works well. It is clobbered, though, when you do a system update that includes a kernel update, so when you do a new install, do the updates first, to save yourself the hassle of doing that again.

- you can "lock" the kernel so that you don't have those upgrades, but remember to lock it in both synaptic and the command line (as per this hint : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1073664.html)

- the sound *out* works fine, but sound *in* doesn't. I have been able to use a USB headset successfully, however.

- some people have claimed that the built-in network-manager is "flakey" and suggest that you install "WCID" instead. This works OK as long as you don't need to do a bluetooth "tether" - the option seems to be missing in WCID. Network-manager includes the bluetooth device as a network (my iPhone, first pair it) option. I haven't noticed any benefit from WCID on the wireless side, so am going to go back to network-manager.

Hope this helps others.

jbernardo
December 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I also have a 1101ha :)
"Sound in" works - enable "Capture" on the mixer. As for wifi, either use wicd, or install linux-backports-modules-karmic, that should give you a working ath9k module.
Finally, you don't need to re-install when you do a kernel upgrade. I've found that "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" works well enough.

LukeKendall
December 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I've installed Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 on an Asus T91.

I've got it working now, but there were problems, and I'm recording them here as best I can remember, in the hope it's helpful to someone else.

When I tried to run the Karmic-recommended poulsbo_ppa.sh, it failed because it said it couldn't find the /usr/src/4.41.2 modules directory.
A "dpkg --contents" on the .deb file showed that the directory it complained about was certainly there.

I tried "aptitude remove psb-kernel-source" followed by "aptitude install psb-kernel-source", but that failed during the 2nd setp (the install).

I tried the "dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source", and that failed as well,
with a similar error.

A little history of how I got into this situation:

When I first started trying to get the wireless working and the screen working better, I didn't find:
but started from information at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1237709?

Figuring that since I was running karmic, not jaunty, I changed the instructions there to do this instead:

Wireless
-Activate Backport repositories either in Synaptic or by removing the # in /etc/apt/sources.list
-sudo apt-get update
-sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
-reboot

Graphics Driver
-add to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
-sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30

But when I tried to do this:

-sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware

it failed, as there are no poulsbo-driver-2d etc. for karmic, I gather.
They're there for jaunty, not karmic (I think).

Anyway, then I found
and downloaded the script and ran it, and fell into problems.

I noticed that the script was fetching and installing 4.41.1-0ubuntu1~904 not the 4.41.2-0ubuntu~910 that I expected.

The "dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" failed, and from memory it was trying to install 4.41.1-0ubuntu1~904 too.

I figured I'd gotten things confused, so then I tried
"dpkg --purge psb-kernel-source" and then ran the poulsbo_ppa.sh, this time capturing the output to report the errors here.

To my pleased surprise, this time it worked.

One thing on the wiki page confused me, and could perhaps be made clearer for dummies like me. Where it says
"Note: after a kernel update, the following steps are needed to re-enable the driver. Prior to a computer reboot, print these instructions so you have them available. Choose a "Recovery" option from the boot menu, and run the following commands from prompt.", I misread that to mean that, since I had just run poulsbo_ppa.sh which had updated the kernel, I needed to do the later steps straight away.

Anyway, the key thing for me was to run "dpkg --purge psb-kernel-source" before running the poulsbo_ppa.sh script.

And I must say, the performance has gone from so sluggish at 800x600 that the system was barely usable, to very responsive and fast at 1024x600 resolution.

I'm stoked!

luke

Udibuntu
December 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Try first the dpkg-reconfigure, then if it doesn't work, removing and reinstalling psb-kernel-source should do the trick.

thanks JBernardo.

no dice with dpkg - termibnasl complains package is broken...

what's the step by step codeline for removing and reinstalling psb package, please - i don't want to start fiddling with rm...

i try to install it and get slammed:

udi@udi-netbook:~$ sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libnspr4-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up psb-kernel-source (4.41.2-0ubuntu1~910um1) ...
Loading new psb-kernel-source-4.41.2 DKMS files...

Directory: /usr/src/psb-kernel-source-4.41.2 does not exist.
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
psb-kernel-source
udi@udi-netbook:~$ ^C
udi@udi-netbook:~$

thanks again,

udi

jbernardo
December 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Try to do what LukeKendal did - "sudo apt-get purge psb-kernel-source". That should do the trick. If not, "sudo apt-get install -f"

Udibuntu
December 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Try to do what LukeKendal did - "sudo apt-get purge psb-kernel-source". That should do the trick. If not, "sudo apt-get install -f"

Yes, the purge command before using Lucazade's script did it. It works now, and I guess I know what needs to be done every kernel update I make.

Thank you jbernardo, luke (and of course - Lucazade)

PS - see, capitals work also... :P

jbernardo
December 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
The purge command should be needed only when changing versions of psb-kernel-source. The dpkg-reconfigure has worked for me for all kernel updates. If it doesn't work for you the next time, please post here.

Now I need to get a installable image of kubuntu lucid alpha and start testing psb on it... :)

Udibuntu
December 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
The purge command should be needed only when changing versions of psb-kernel-source. The dpkg-reconfigure has worked for me for all kernel updates. If it doesn't work for you the next time, please post here.

Now I need to get a installable image of kubuntu lucid alpha and start testing psb on it... :)

OK, I'll update next time I update the kernel.

BTW, I have also played a downloaded 720P clip almost flawlessly :popcorn: yyaayyy!!

Good luck with the testing, I really hope a future update will solve this GMA500 issue.

Thanks again,

Udi

jbernardo
December 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM
OK, I'll update next time I update the kernel.

BTW, I have also played a downloaded 720P clip almost flawlessly :popcorn: yyaayyy!!

Good luck with the testing, I really hope a future update will solve this GMA500 issue.

Thanks again,

Udi

For playing video clips, check how to build mplayer with vaapi support - using the scripts from here (http://www.splitted-desktop.com/%7Egbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/) I can generate a mplayer that lets me view 1080p flawlessly. You also need to first build libva from here (http://www.splitted-desktop.com/%7Egbeauchesne/libva/), and do a "sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer" to get all dependencies in place. I also remember I had to link one of the psb libs to another place, but can't remember now. In any case, there are a couple of threads in ubuntu forums explaining how to do it.

LukeKendall
December 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Can I ask a dumb question?

The graphics driver is working well.
The touchscreen is working very well too, after I managed to calibrate it.

(Tip: on the EeePC T91, you have to run calibrate_touchscreen from a "safe mode" reboot, after installing the evtouch-related packages via synaptic: the gma500 graphics driver cannot run a second session, I think, meaning you must not be running X before trying to calibrate.)

My question is simply, that I thought the Poulsbo driver was a proprietary driver, but if I run the "Hardware Drivers" program from the System tab, after a good search it reports that there are no proprietary drivers used in the system. Is that right, that it isn't listed?

luke

Jonathanius
December 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Can I ask a dumb question?

The graphics driver is working well.
The touchscreen is working very well too, after I managed to calibrate it.

(Tip: on the EeePC T91, you have to run calibrate_touchscreen from a "safe mode" reboot, after installing the evtouch-related packages via synaptic: the gma500 graphics driver cannot run a second session, I think, meaning you must not be running X before trying to calibrate.)

My question is simply, that I thought the Poulsbo driver was a proprietary driver, but if I run the "Hardware Drivers" program from the System tab, after a good search it reports that there are no proprietary drivers used in the system. Is that right, that it isn't listed?

luke

Have you had any crashes since installing evtouch? Every configuration of Ubuntu I have ever tested has crashed X on my T91 - but only when I am actively using the touchscreen and I believe this has happened to many other people on the T91 Installation thread. So, if you have not had any crashes so far, could you test your configuration by playing around in Gimp (or any other activity that actively uses the touchscreen) for a while and see if it crashes? Sometimes it has happened after only a few minutes, other times it take quite a bit of time to crash. Thanks.
P.S. I realize this is be a bit off topic, so it may be best to reply on the T91 Installation thread or via PM.

blur xc
December 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Why haven't you linked to my original deb and script?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8182373&postcount=87

This is just my work, renamed.. thanks!! :lolflag:

Holy freakin' crap! I've b!een farting around w/ a broken psb-kernel-source all day (actually, two days now) and all I needed to do was run your script to fix it? I have no clue what it did (there was a LOT of terminal output, w/ some errors in there) but after a reboot I've got my correct resolution again!

glx gears is showing about 1000 frames per 5 seconds. I'll have to try flash and see about the boot.cfg mem line. Can you increase the ram in a Dell Mini 10? 2gigs would be nice...

Thanks,
BM

michael37
December 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Has anyone else experienced a problem with driver (both 2D and 3D) working perfectly after reboot; then, after a sleep/suspend, wake up cycle 2D still works but 3D does not?

Mattia
December 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
hi, i' ve installed the jolicloud kernel and psb driver on ubuntu karmic, and it works very well. 1260 fps on glxgears.

i,ve added this repository:

deb http://apt.jolicloud.org robby main directory jolicloud

and then

sudo aptitude install -R jolicloud-poulsbo
sudo aptitude install -R linux-image-jolicloud linux-image-jolicloud-atom
sudo aptitude install -R poulsbo-config.

blur xc
December 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
hi, i' ve installed the jolicloud kernel and psb driver on ubuntu karmic, and it works very well. 1260 fps on glxgears.

and then

Really, 1260 fps? as in ~6000 frames in 5 seconds? What does this driver do that hte normal one doesn't?

BM

Mattia
December 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Really, 1260 fps? as in ~6000 frames in 5 seconds? What does this driver do that hte normal one doesn't?

BM

1200 in 5sec.
http://yfrog.com/3mscreenshothrp

samusishere
December 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
so what your saying is the jolicloud graphics driver works better then the drivers weve been working with all this time?

lucazade
December 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
so what your saying is the jolicloud graphics driver works better then the drivers weve been working with all this time?

Unfortunately performances are the same of the old driver stack. :(

Mattia
December 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately performances are the same of the old driver stack. :(

the driver is the same, but is build directly on the kernel. from jolicloud blog:

Jolicloud believes that the DKMS approach to the GMA500 problem, which is fine for faster hardware, should not be necessary, especially on netbook hardware. Our goal was to integrate the Poulsbo drivers directly into the kernel itself, and support GMA500 out-of-the-box. Established conventions say that you must “decide” which DRI to use: either a Pouslbo-specific libdrm from v2.3.0, or something more recent. You couldn’t have both on the same system, right?
Users could now support 720p video, 1000+ frames per second in glxgears, no issues!

http://building.jolicloud.com/

Mattia
December 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM

and then

instead of sudo aptitude install -R poulsbo-config

launch sudo /etc/jolicloud-netbook-config.d/poulsbo.sh

i.ve no tried with hd video, but the system with conpiz is most fluid.

jbernardo
December 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM

and then

Where did you get the public key for the jolicloud repository?

Mattia
December 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Where did you get the public key for the jolicloud repository?

i use the repository without the public key. Is not a problem.

LukeKendall
December 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Have you had any crashes since installing evtouch? Every configuration of Ubuntu I have ever tested has crashed X on my T91 - but only when I am actively using the touchscreen and I believe this has happened to many other people on the T91 Installation thread. So, if you have not had any crashes so far, could you test your configuration by playing around in Gimp (or any other activity that actively uses the touchscreen) for a while and see if it crashes? Sometimes it has happened after only a few minutes, other times it take quite a bit of time to crash. Thanks.
P.S. I realize this is be a bit off topic, so it may be best to reply on the T91 Installation thread or via PM.

I had lock-ups of X after installing the poulsbo (gma500) driver, before installing evtouch. I've also had some lock-ups after installing evtouch. I haven't noticed any correlation between touch operations and lock-ups, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

However if I let the machine go into sleep mode, or if I actively put it into suspend or hibernate mode, at best it will come back into action with no cursor tracking of any sort (neither from the touchscreen nor from the touch pad). That's more troublesome.

Despite the lock-ups since installing the gma500 driver, I wouldn't go back, since the T91 is very responsive with that driver, and so laggy that it's almost unusable without it.

I haven't tried the gimp yet (I will later), but I tend to use the touchscreen a lot but haven't noticed a tendency to lock up then.

I did manage to confuse it and needed a reboot when using the touchscreen and the touchpad at the same time (unconsciously - I was resting my finger on the touchpad and realised I was trying to move the cursor with both hands). The cursor started going wild and jumping all over the screen before settling down. And then it looked like the calibration went off. But all was well after a reboot.

My mission in the next few hours is to get the screen rotation button and the brighten/dim buttons working. An elderly friend has decided the T91 (especially with Ubuntu NBR) is simple enough that he could use it, so I've just got the T91 he bought now set up the same as mine, and I'm giving it back to him in a couple of hours. (So I'm a bit pressed for time.)

Cheers,

luke

michael37
December 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM

and then

Shoot. One must have a i386 install to run this. Jolicloud doesn't support lpia install...

W: Failed to fetch http://apt.jolicloud.org/dists/robby/main/binary-lpia/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 78.109.82.90 80]

Since jolicloud repository does not allow file listing (WHY?!?!?!), could someone please send me direct links to the required .debs? I'll try it anyway. Can't think of a reason why Jolicloud atom kernel wouldn't run on lpia distro.

NeonRush
December 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
You'll have to scan a mirror if you want links to the debs. I'd like to thank Jolicloud for all their work... However... They don't even host a forum, and call me old fashioned, but I don't tweet. I've ran their pre-beta and things are looking very promising, but samba sucks. BAD! Can't even connect to the samba share on my Ubuntu server. So yeah, they aren't being very transparent at this stage.

So for now I'm testing the Jolicloud kernel in Karmic. I own an EEE PC 1101HA. Jolicloud is great on the graphics end, Karmic handles my networking needs. But, and this is a big but, Karmic has a horrible atheros implementation. Joli worked without a hitch. Hopefully the two together will be a good match. Fill you in soon.

NeonRush
December 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
IT WORKS!!!! HA HA HA (evil laugh)

1386 fps in glxgears
AND
40% strength on wifi while in a detached garage and the router is in a basement over 30 meters away. I'm feeling good!

Okay, this wasn't all that straightforward so I'm going to recap my process (props go out to those that came before me):

Installed Karmic on Asus EEE PC 1101ha

1. Added:

to repositories in synaptic.

2. Run a full update/upgrade in synaptic. Probably not needed but it didn't hurt I'm sure.

3. Run from console:

sudo /etc/jolicloud-netbook-config.d/poulsbo.sh

4. Because grub was failing to load after a reboot I'd suggest this next step if you're having problems. Edit /etc/default/grub
Go down to the line that looks like this:

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

Uncomment the entry so it looks like this:

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

5. Now edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf so it looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "GMA500"
Option "DRI" "on"
Driver "psb"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

6. From terminal, run

sudo update-grub

7. Reboot

Now it looks like I may have an Ubuntu install that I can use for a while. Until tinkering makes me break it again. Have fun everyone! :D

Mattia
December 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
IT WORKS!!!! HA HA HA (evil laugh)

1386 fps in glxgears
AND
40% strength on wifi while in a detached garage and the router is in a basement over 30 meters away. I'm feeling good!

Okay, this wasn't all that straightforward so I'm going to recap my process (props go out to those that came before me):

Installed Karmic on Asus EEE PC 1101ha

1. Added:

to repositories in synaptic.

2. Run a full update/upgrade in synaptic. Probably not needed but it didn't hurt I'm sure.

3. Run from console:

sudo /etc/jolicloud-netbook-config.d/poulsbo.sh

4. Because grub was failing to load after a reboot I'd suggest this next step if you're having problems. Edit /etc/default/grub
Go down to the line that looks like this:

#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

Uncomment the entry so it looks like this:

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

5. Now edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf so it looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "GMA500"
Option "DRI" "on"
Driver "psb"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

6. From terminal, run

sudo update-grub

7. Reboot

Now it looks like I may have an Ubuntu install that I can use for a while. Until tinkering makes me break it again. Have fun everyone! :D

I had not problem with grub and the jolicloud script configured xorg automaticalli.

jbernardo
December 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I downloaded all the packages and installed them on my LPIA karmic. In the end, the performance was the same I get with Lucazade's script, and with the backports modules my wifi works well, so since the eee-laptop module doesn't load with jolicloud's kernel, I went back to regular karmic.

michael37
December 20th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I installed full jolicloud just to see what it looks like. Having PSB video driver working during installation is pleasant, but is not that important after all. Graphics performance is the same. Full screen gnome terminal uses 100% CPU in Xorg process for some reason. Neither jolicloud nor UNR use Dell Mini 12 screen real estate intelligently. Pidgin is poorly integrated. Prism-based apps, like Gmail, are cute, but general purpose browser does just fine. In fact, I would prefer Gmail app to be based on Webkit/v8 javascript, not XULrunner.

The only thing that I liked is that brightness keys worked on my Dell Mini 12 in jolicloud out of box. They do not work in Karmic. See more info in this thread which was on dev forum, continued in this active thread. Might be jaunty vs karmic issue regarding hal deprecation.

michael37
December 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
In case people haven't been tracking, here are latest updates on the next gen driver for GMA 500.

We Have Poulsbo Hardware, But No Driver (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc2MA)

Also, Karmic LPIA will be my last netbook running LPIA. News here. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzczOA)

Udibuntu
December 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
For playing video clips, check how to build mplayer with vaapi support - using the scripts from here (http://www.splitted-desktop.com/%7Egbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/) I can generate a mplayer that lets me view 1080p flawlessly. You also need to first build libva from here (http://www.splitted-desktop.com/%7Egbeauchesne/libva/), and do a "sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer" to get all dependencies in place. I also remember I had to link one of the psb libs to another place, but can't remember now. In any case, there are a couple of threads in ubuntu forums explaining how to do it.

jbernardo, have tried to implement this but aahhh... maybe I'm too dumb to do this...I found all kinds of references to this method but I don't have a clue how to actually do it - which package to download, how to open the folder etc..

I'd appreciate an idiot proof walk-through here, though I'll understand if my request is too much...

michael37
December 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
jbernardo, have tried to implement this but aahhh... maybe I'm too dumb to do this...I found all kinds of references to this method but I don't have a clue how to actually do it - which package to download, how to open the folder etc..

I'd appreciate an idiot proof walk-through here, though I'll understand if my request is too much...

I totally missed this part of the thread.

So... has anyone tried using Fit-PC kernel and mplayer-vaapi and libva packages? Supposedly it fully works with Atom/Poulsbo. Would be much sweeter than building mplayer-vaapi each time manually.

Repository (Jaunty, Karmic)
http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists
Wiki (Jaunty)
http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ubuntu_on_fit-PC2

Karmic seems to be missing libdrm debs, so not sure if it actually works.

UDPATE: I just tries installing these .debs and almost destroyed my computer. This stuff is totally non-compatible with ubuntu-mobile stuff (which is really jaunty packages on top of karmic). Don't do it.

Udibuntu
December 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Karmic seems to be missing libdrm debs, so not sure if it actually works.

UDPATE: I just tries installing these .debs and almost destroyed my computer. This stuff is totally non-compatible with ubuntu-mobile stuff (which is really jaunty packages on top of karmic). Don't do it.

Thanks Michael, I hope your computer is OK...

I'm using 9.10 desktop, will I destroy my AAO 751 using this? If it's OK, then how do I add the missing libdrm debs?

Udi

bodhi.zazen
December 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
This script on this wiki page works :

It modifies config files, so after running it once I edited out the parts that edit config files.

I would modify the script with a few if statements ;)

michael37
December 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
This script on this wiki page works :

It modifies config files, so after running it once I edited out the parts that edit config files.

I would modify the script with a few if statements ;)

The script is a derivative of this thread. Thanks though.

Udibuntu
December 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Merry Christmas guys,

you've lost me...

What should I do to install the vaapi enabled mplayer?

penguin10916
December 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
hmm... has there been any news about this new driver that uses gallium? Just wondering because they're saying that performance will shoot up... or is the driver we have it?

michael37
December 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Merry Christmas guys,

you've lost me...

So far, no idea :) I'm still trying but I haven't run mplayer-vaapi yet.

A few people who built it by themselves have... but you tried that already, haven't you.

michael37
December 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
hmm... has there been any news about this new driver that uses gallium? Just wondering because they're saying that performance will shoot up... or is the driver we have it?

See comment 186. No Gallium3D driver yet.

michael37
December 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Merry Christmas guys,

you've lost me...

I think I figured it out. I am now playing 720p content comfortably. I have not tried 1080p content since my only screen today is Dell Mini 12 laptop panel with 1280x800 resolution.

Let's see if you can get it to work. I ran this sequence after switching to jolicloud kernel (comment 182). I am not convinced whether that was necessary. Update: I ran into instability with jolicloud kernel due to suspend/resume, and reverted back to Karmic kernel. Playing 720p content works fine.

Add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list

## Repository for fit-PC2 users provided by Compulab
deb http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists/karmic binary/
deb-src http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists/karmic source/

Refresh update manager

sudo apt-get update

Uninstall mplayer provided by Karmic

sudo apt-get remove mplayer-nogui
sudo apt-get remove mplayer
Install mplayer with vaapi support

sudo apt-get install libva1 mplayer-vaapi mplayer-skins

Comment out fit-pc repository by editing /etc/apt/sources.list

## Repository for fit-PC2 users provided by Compulab
#deb http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists/karmic binary/
#deb-src http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists/karmic source/

Link the va driver from Poulsbo driver

sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/psb_drv_video.so /usr/lib/va/drivers

Run vainfo and make sure you get no errors

$ vainfo
libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds4
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/psb_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
vainfo: Driver version: Intel GMA500 - 5.0.1.0046
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointMoComp
VAProfileMPEG4Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Baseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

Test mplayer on any MPEG4 or H264 content

mplayer -va vaapi -vo vaapi -ao oss HDvideo.mp4

Note: I had problems with sync between video and audio, so I specified audio output by adding -ao oss option.
Alternative options for -ao (audio output) are -ao pulse, -ao sdl and -ao alsa.

samusishere
December 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
ok wait im confused here. all i have to do on my acer aspire one 751h to get full 1080p video is buld my own player? and does this work on 9.04?

Mattia
December 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
i,ve a strange problem with the audio, all works well, but only the first time. The second application that i use to play audio want works and i must to rebbot.
Any idea?

michael37
December 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
i,ve a strange problem with the audio, all works well, but only the first time. The second application that i use to play audio want works and i must to rebbot.
Any idea?

I reproduced this problem. An alternative is use

mplayer -vo vaapi -ao pulse filename.mp4

michael37
December 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
ok wait im confused here. all i have to do on my acer aspire one 751h to get full 1080p video is buld my own player? and does this work on 9.04?

Players that ship with 9.04 or 9.10 cannot use video acceleration by poulsbo. You need mplayer-vaapi package. Either build it yourself, or install a build using instructions in comment 196.

Note that in either case you need to provide special video acceleration API (VAAPI) libraries and ensure they work fine.

Update: you need at least version 0.31 of the VAAPI library. Installations in the OP refers to ubuntu-mobile of library version 0.29 which is too old.

Speedster
December 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately after following the wiki for Karmic and rebooting I was greeted with a black screen after the splash screen and an error in the dmesg regarding a null pointer reference. Strangely, booting up in recovery mode and performing a "modprobe psb" got a 1366x768 console no problems.

After much trial and error I eventually got it working by performing the following:

1) Removing "quiet splash" from /etc/default/grub, then running update-grub

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

2) Adding "psb" to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

3) Creating an initramfs-tools hook script to copy the firmware to the initramfs. Script was saved as /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/psb and made executable with "chmod +x"

#! /bin/sh -e

PREREQ="kernelextras"

prereqs () {
echo "$PREREQ"
}

case $1 in
prereqs)
prereqs
exit 0
;;
esac

. /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions

# Console utilities needed for console-setup
copy_exec /lib/firmware/msvdx_fw.bin /lib/firmware

exit 0

4) Ran update-initramfs -u and rebooted. After the scrolling text boot I was greeted with a GDM screen and vastly faster desktop experience!

Dean

Mattia
December 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I reproduced this problem. An alternative is use

mplayer -vo vaapi -ao pulse filename.mp4

ok for the video, but for other apps thet use pulseaudio?

michael37
December 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
ok for the video, but for other apps thet use pulseaudio?

Pulseaudio fully supports audio access by multiple applications.

Mattia
December 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Pulseaudio fully supports audio access by multiple applications.

yes, i know, but the problem is that the audio works only one time, then all the pc is mute. And i must to reboot.

michael37
December 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM
yes, i know, but the problem is that the audio works only one time, then all the pc is mute. And i must to reboot.

I reproduced this problem with using -ao oss. It works once, then mplayer reports "/dev/dsp" busy and no audio comes out. But you can switch to, for example, -ao sdl, and audio should play again.

As I said, experiment with different -ao options. Your hardware might be different from mine, so what works for you might be different.

My netbook has snd_hda_intel audio driver, and I had to tweak it per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto guide. The problem is completely separate and independent from mplayer and/or GMA 500, so please start another thread for this particular type of troubleshooting.

Mattia
December 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I reproduced this problem with using -ao oss. It works once, then mplayer reports "/dev/dsp" busy and no audio comes out. But you can switch to, for example, -ao sdl, and audio should play again.

As I said, experiment with different -ao options. Your hardware might be different from mine, so what works for you might be different.

My netbook has snd_hda_intel audio driver, and I had to tweak it per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto guide. The problem is completely separate and independent from mplayer and/or GMA 500, so please start another thread for this particular type of troubleshooting.

You are right, i think that is a poulse audio problem.
I've asked here because i've an asus 1101 :).

I must to reboot every time i need to use 2 times skype :(

ayoli
December 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
You are right, i think that is a poulse audio problem.
I've asked here because i've an asus 1101 :).

I must to reboot every time i need to use 2 times skype :(
<ot>
You might want to try to kill restart pulse (as user) instead of reboot.
'Maybe you need to force-reload or restart alsa-utils also).
</ot>

Udibuntu
December 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you michael137, guys - that's just awesome!

It plays 1080P wmv clips flawlessly!

2 more tests I need to take - playing to an external HDTV via VGA (AAO 751 doesn't have digital video output), and the reboot test :)

I'll update later.

Again - thank you guys and especially michael137 for the effort!!!

Udi

Udibuntu
December 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
mplayer VA API works well after reboot, but sometimes sans sound due to an unknown problem which affects my Ubuntu session every once or twice.

Is there a way to let other applications use the hardware acceleration enabled by this fix? Youtube streaming is a slide show..

Thanks again,

Udi

jbernardo
December 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
The sound problem appears to be pulse related - I am not seeing it, but i am using kubuntu, so don't have to put up with pulseaudio.

As for mplayer-vaapi, did you try it on films with subtitles? I have it working perfectly except for that, *** subtitles don't show up, and non-*** kills mplayer with error 11 (mostly at the first subtitle).

Udibuntu
December 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
The sound problem appears to be pulse related - I am not seeing it, but i am using kubuntu, so don't have to put up with pulseaudio.

As for mplayer-vaapi, did you try it on films with subtitles? I have it working perfectly except for that, *** subtitles don't show up, and non-*** kills mplayer with error 11 (mostly at the first subtitle).

No subtitles yet, I'm only watching WMV-HD clips from Microsoft (oh, the irony:)). I'll download some MKV's if the external VGA to HDTV connection works well.

BUT - I do get an error like this: "Too many video packets are in the buffer"; maybe b\c of my 1G RAM?

Off topic: sound problem is indeed pulse related; it usually comes and goes, and if is persisting then I purge and re-install the driver (hope a fix will be available soon.

kgingeri
December 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hi All,

Just a note...
After following some of the howto's here (Karmic 2.6.31-17-generic, UNR running on a T91MT - not T91) and installing evtouch source patches to get the T91MT touch screen working - I too have fast video. However, in UNR all apps are full-screened so I only had 500+ with glxgears UNTIL I restored the smaller sized window for glxgears. When doing so, I now get 1200+ :D

I am getting lock-ups, tho I think related to touch-screen. Does it a lot in Xournal. So I am still working on other stuff - touch screen right-click (no stylus button) and I had the sound issue once.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on an Asus T91MT - of course.
Also, the stuff I did that seemed to work was:

Speedster's post #201 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8560596&postcount=201) and
this wiki post (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo)

samusishere
January 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
hi. i have a acer aspire one 751h with ubuntu 9.04 installed. im wondering if the graphics performance in 9.10 is up to par with 9.04.

thanks

kgingeri
January 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
hi. i have a acer aspire one 751h with ubuntu 9.04 installed. im wondering if the graphics performance in 9.10 is up to par with 9.04.

thanks

I am getting 1200+ on 9.10 - but an ASUS T91MT, not Acer.

excogitation
January 8th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Are there any news on Poulsbo for Lucid?

And is anybody already packaging for 32 or 33 kernels?

egrep
January 8th, 2010, 01:56 AM
One of my systems just updated to kernel 2.6.31-17. I remembered to rename the xorg.conf file before rebooting so I came up in the standard video mode for the poulsbo chipset. I tried to re-apply the sudo wget http://gma500re.altervista.org/scripts/poulsbo_ppa.sh && sh ./poulsbo_ppa.sh script. Every time it gets to any kernel stuff, it skips that part with a "no module source" error.

Not sure if I am missing something or maybe the poulsbo fix has not been updated for the 2.6.31-17 kernel.

I will poke around and report back with what I find out.

--egrep

Speedster
January 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Rather than rename xorg.conf when I installed the -17 kernel I did as the wiki said - rebooted into recovery mode and ran

dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source

which recompiled the module for the new kernel.

lucazade
January 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi all!
I'm trying out Intel IEGD 10.2 driver for GMA500 following this guide:
FitPc2 howto (http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1150&start=0&sid=4a88ffd782ac761291744ba203c3ed35)

Pros:
* Native resolution (1366x768 )
* UXA Hw acceleration
* 2100 fps in 5secs using glxgears (using old psb drivers i get 1250fps)
* Low memory footprint
* Smooth flashplayer (sd)
* Mplayer-vaapi (support for hd movies)

Cons:
* No DKMS
* Slow firefox scrolling :(
* Broken framebuffer (no usplash - moblin-dev mailing list bug (http://lists.moblin.org/pipermail/dev/2009-December/007644.html))
* Some visual glitches (uxa related maybe)
* Broken hibernate/suspend (iegd 10.2 bug) (http://community.edc.intel.com/t5/Software-Tools-Discussions/IEGD-10-2-on-Linux-Suspend-Hibernate/m-p/1777)

Feature/compatibility list for IEGD 10.2 drivers here (http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=1903)
User's guide here (http://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CBEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fedc.intel.com%2FDownload.aspx%3Fi d%3D2387%26returnurl%3D%2FRSS%2FFeed.aspx&ei=jKlIS5jtHI7wngO9v5jhDw&usg=AFQjCNEQDswCC1CJNv29CieVYRlGxG8r-g&sig2=-iupM-cDkXdUWqSM4VQEXA)
Specification update here (http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=2390&returnurl=/Software/Downloads/IEGD/default.aspx)

Anyone else tried it?? Just curious!

PS. To make it work i've modified some options in xorg.conf (details on request)

Udibuntu
January 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

Wanted to share my experience in a related issue, in case someone wants to investigate this:

I'm with psb driver, GMA500 on an Acer751, Karmic.

I botched an attempt to use dual screen via VGA, and had to use xrandr to try and fix. I got numerous psb related errors while installing the GUI fronts for xrander, and couldn't change any xrander setting (in either GUI and terminal), other than adding new display modes that could not be set to operate.

I then purged and removed psb and re-installed Luca's FTP script (thanks again Luca), and all is well so far (hadn't tried to use the VGA port again yet).

I guess there is some kind of a problem in the combination of the current Linux psb driver and xrandr.

Re Luca's latest post: I would love to have decent Youtube experience, and therefor would appreciate a walkthrough for your latest GMA500 operating method, if you can spare the time.

Cheers,

Udi

jbernardo
January 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi all!
I'm trying out Intel IEGD 10.2 driver for GMA500 following this guide:
FitPc2 howto (http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1150&start=0&sid=4a88ffd782ac761291744ba203c3ed35)

Pros:
* Native resolution (1366x768 )
* UXA Hw acceleration
* 2100 fps in 5secs using glxgears (using old psb drivers i get 1250fps)
* Low memory footprint
* Smooth flashplayer (sd)
* Mplayer-vaapi (support for hd movies)

Cons:
* No DKMS
* Slow firefox scrolling :(
* Broken framebuffer (no usplash - moblin-dev mailing list bug (http://lists.moblin.org/pipermail/dev/2009-December/007644.html))
* Some visual glitches (uxa related maybe)
* Broken hibernate/suspend (iegd 10.2 bug) (http://community.edc.intel.com/t5/Software-Tools-Discussions/IEGD-10-2-on-Linux-Suspend-Hibernate/m-p/1777)

Anyone else tried it?? Just curious!

PS. To make it work i've modified some options in xorg.conf (details on request)

Well, I have mplayer-vaapi working, except for subtitles, with our current drivers. And broken suspend is a show-stopper for me, so I'll stay for now with our current drivers. :)

lucazade
January 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone could try this flash benchmark (http://www.this-play.nl/tools/flashmark/)(using the old psb driver)?
I score 365 points.
Thanks

ayoli
January 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone could try this flash benchmark (http://www.this-play.nl/tools/flashmark/)(using the old psb driver)?
I score 365 points.
Thanks

wow 1 point/day ? :P

I scored 354 with jaunty + psb

jurekiteresa
January 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hi

For flash - even in HD 1080p I found workaround with mplayer-vaapi:

Please open web browser with flash movie and paused.

In terminal:
mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi /tmp/Flash*

For full screen you could use:

-fs -aspect 16:9

For flv files I use:

mplayer -vo gl -va alsa /tmp/Flash*

but only in SD.

For fast scroll in Firefox i use xcompmgr -a

Could you tray turn off antialiasing. It is very helpfull in windows xp.

Today I have problem with new xorg. (Confilct with xserver-xorg-video-psb)

Please advice.

Reagrds

Jurek

xeemo
January 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I just got this setup on my mini 10 yesterday. I've had mixed results with various flash video sites. Youtube works great when I don't go into full screen, and Game Trailers(one of AVGN's hosting sites) works pretty much perfect full screen or windowed.

Still not 100%, but much better than it was before. Not that I would even expect 100% seeing as the gma500 is closed source(but it would be great! haha).

lucazade
January 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Switched back to old psb stack (exa) i've optimized some xorg options.
Now glxgears reach 1380fps and composited is smoother.

Section "Device"
Identifier "GMA500"
Driver "psb"
Option "DownScale" "false"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
Option "ExaMem" "131072"
#Option "ExaScratch" "4"
#Option "ExaCached" "false"
Option "IgnoreACPI" "true"
Option "LidTimer" "false"
Option "NoAccel" "false"
Option "NoFitting" "false"
Option "NoPanel" "false"
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
Option "SWcursor" "false"
Option "Vsync" "false"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

lucazade
January 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I've also upgraded the poulsbo installation script.
Now it includes latest libva, mplayer-vaapi and some fixes for Acer 751h.

ayoli
January 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Switched back to old psb stack (exa) i've optimized some xorg options.
Now glxgears reach 1380fps and composited is smoother.

Section "Device"
Identifier "GMA500"
Driver "psb"
Option "DownScale" "false"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
Option "ExaMem" "131072"
#Option "ExaScratch" "4"
#Option "ExaCached" "false"
Option "IgnoreACPI" "true"
Option "LidTimer" "false"
Option "NoAccel" "false"
Option "NoFitting" "false"
Option "NoPanel" "false"
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
Option "SWcursor" "false"
Option "Vsync" "false"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

wow, you use options here that I didn't even know they could exist :)
btw, that sounds cool, I might give this a go later in the week and post a feedback here.
thx lucazade.

lucazade
January 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
wow, you use options here that I didn't even know they could exist :)
btw, that sounds cool, I might give this a go later in the week and post a feedback here.
thx lucazade.

let me know.. don't expect too much :)
I've looked inside psb_driver to find these options.
Next step i'd like to increase agpgart mem size (i believe inside libdrm) up to 128mb like the iegd driver does.

SlonUA
January 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hi lucazade =)
Good job done by You.

Any update !?
https://edge.launchpad.net/~lucazade/+archive/gma500/+build/1243964

SlonUA
January 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Any ideas for tweaking this model: Dell Inspiron Mini 1010

lucazade
January 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Any ideas for tweaking this model: Dell Inspiron Mini 1010

Haven't tried Dell Mini so no particular tweaks for it, sorry.

Btw I'd suggest to use latest build of flashplayer 10.1beta2 instead of default one.
from here (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_1_p2_linux_121709.tar.gz)

Remove old flashplayer version and copy new flash:
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Udibuntu
January 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Haven't tried Dell Mini so no particular tweaks for it, sorry.

Btw I'd suggest to use latest build of flashplayer 10.1beta2 instead of default one.
from here (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_1_p2_linux_121709.tar.gz)

Remove old flashplayer version and copy new flash:
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Hi Luca,

Please walk me through installing the latest flash I downloaded and extracted to "downloads" (Don't know how to remove the older flash and install the new one.

Also, do I need to remove something before using your updated FTP script?

Thanks,

Udi

lucazade
January 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Luca,

Please walk me through installing the latest flash I downloaded and extracted to "downloads" (Don't know how to remove the older flash and install the new one.

Also, do I need to remove something before using your updated FTP script?

Thanks,

Udi

You do not need to use the script to update flashplayer.
Open a terminal and paste each line:

sudo apt-get remove --purge -q=0 -y --force-yes flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer

wget http://gma500re.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/misc/libflashplayer.so -O /tmp/libflashplayer.so

sudo cp /tmp/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

This will remove old flash version, download the new one and put in the right place.
Close and reopen firefox.
That's it.

jbernardo
January 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I've also upgraded the poulsbo installation script.
Now it includes latest libva, mplayer-vaapi and some fixes for Acer 751h.

Hi Lucazade,
I just looked at your script, and found it is using a 4.41.2 version of psb-kernel-sources, do you know if it includes the fixes for later kernels that I took from the Gentoo guys and posted here?
I also tried the mplayer-vaapi, and it shows the same problems with subtitles I have on the ones I build with a variant of the kanotix scripts, that is A.S. s. subtitles break acceleration so I get about one frame per second, and "regular" subtitles break mplayer with a error 11. I've posted a error report in the mplayer-users mailing list, stack trace and everything, but it has been ignored for over a week.

I'll try now your xorg settings.
Thanks!

lucazade
January 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Lucazade,
I just looked at your script, and found it is using a 4.41.2 version of psb-kernel-sources, do you know if it includes the fixes for later kernels that I took from the Gentoo guys and posted here?

Hi!
It doesn't include your patch at the moment.. if i well remember it support 2.6.32+ kernels, right? Have you tried it with Lucid?
I'll see to include it as well.

jbernardo
January 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi!
It doesn't include your patch at the moment.. if i well remember it support 2.6.32+ kernels, right? Have you tried it with Lucid?
I'll see to include it as well.

Hi,
Yes, I tried it with Lucid's kernel and it worked (in December, haven't tried since). But Lucid has a newer xorg that conflicts with the poulsbo xorg driver, so I am back on karmic.

As for your settings it allowed me to see between 1100 and 1400 fps in glxgears at normal speed, and between 1549 and 1801 with 25% overclocking. In glblur I get 17 fps normal/20 overclock. A nice improvement!

Now if I can fix mplayer so it won't crash when showing subtitles...

Udibuntu
January 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Luca, thanks for the walkthrough, I will do it later and report. UPDATE - I see some improvement in Youtube SD, while Youtube HD and SD fullscreen are still unwatchable.

Re your updated FTP script, I was wandering if I can get better performance from the psb driver (Firefox scrolling, better Youtube performance etc.

If that is the case and I want to use it, then my question was do I need to remove somethings before using it or just copy paste the link to terminal?

Again - thank you for your efforts!

Udi

lucazade
January 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi,
Yes, I tried it with Lucid's kernel and it worked (in December, haven't tried since). But Lucid has a newer xorg that conflicts with the poulsbo xorg driver, so I am back on karmic.

As for your settings it allowed me to see between 1100 and 1400 fps in glxgears at normal speed, and between 1549 and 1801 with 25% overclocking. In glblur I get 17 fps normal/20 overclock. A nice improvement!

Now if I can fix mplayer so it won't crash when showing subtitles...

How did you overclocked? any issue with temp?

lucazade
January 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Luca, thanks for the walkthrough, I will do it later and report. UPDATE - I see some improvement in Youtube SD, while Youtube HD and SD fullscreen are still unwatchable.

Re your updated FTP script, I was wandering if I can get better performance from the psb driver (Firefox scrolling, better Youtube performance etc.

If that is the case and I want to use it, then my question was do I need to remove somethings before using it or just copy paste the link to terminal?

Again - thank you for your efforts!

Udi

Try to update xorg.conf with the latest options found, do it manually without using the script.
Firefox scrolling is terrible, so i'm trying out chromium from ppa and it's better.
For flash i've no other tricks (only one is gnash-vaapi but haven't tried yet).

jbernardo
January 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM
How did you overclocked? any issue with temp?

I use eee-control, since the eeepc has overclock in Bios. The temperature is a bit higher, but that only means that the noisy fan starts more frequently.

lucazade
January 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Lucazade,

I've included your patch in the script. Now I'm running 2.6.33rc4 w/o problems.

wget http://gma500re.altervista.org/scripts/poulsbo.sh && sh ./poulsbo.sh

jbernardo
January 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks!
Now the "only" problem is the incompatibility between the poulsbo driver and X.org 1.7.x. I don't know if it is worth to try hacking it, or wait for the promised Gallium driver.

Any luck with the suspend issues in the IEGD driver?

lucazade
January 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks!
Now the "only" problem is the incompatibility between the poulsbo driver and X.org 1.7.x. I don't know if it is worth to try hacking it, or wait for the promised Gallium driver.

Any luck with the suspend issues in the IEGD driver?

From FitPc2 forum:
Known issues:
- Suspend and Hibernate functions do not work properly and disabled in kernel. Using these functions is equal to Lock Screen.

They disabled suspend function in the modded kernel (provided in ppa), don't ask me why.. :)
Maybe this fix (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/AO751h#Fixing%20Suspend) for suspend and a new kernel...

I'm awating for Iegd 10.3 with the hoped Gallium support, about xorg 1.7.x I hope some guru will help us! :)

jbernardo
January 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I wonder if I could get it to work on my 1101ha this weekend, as the suspend problem seems AA1 751H related, or am I jumping into conclusions? I just don't like installing all that stuff from the fic repositories, I'll have to check if can roll my own kernel, or even if I need it.

About X 1.7, AdamW seems to be working on it for Fedora 12, so there is still hope, maybe when he returns from his holidays.

michael37
January 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I've included your patch in the script. Now I'm running 2.6.33rc4 w/o problems.

I noticed you did a lot of updates on the direct download script and you haven't really changed ppa script. Any plans to include the latest libva, etc etc in the ppa script?

lucazade
January 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I noticed you did a lot of updates on the direct download script and you haven't really changed ppa script. Any plans to include the latest libva, etc etc in the ppa script?

I haven't updated the ppa repository because of some issue packaging xserver-xorg-video-psb, at the moment i don't think i'll update it.
If anyone able to solve that issue i'll take care of the other packages (libva....)

dragilla
January 19th, 2010, 02:40 AM
hi there.
First of all thanks for you work.
The graphics works quite well now. I'm on kernel 2.6.32.3.

I have one "wierd" problem though. I thought I ask here, because it's definitely gma500 related. The problem is I cannot suspend because the X hangs (gray screen). I can kill X with alt-sysrq-k.
The "wierd" part is... it was working. I don't know what I did - I was playing with alsa a bit, but can't seem to see a connection there. The other "wierd" thing is - I can suspend after I hibernate and restore. So the thing has to do with some graphics initialization.

In the /var/log/pm-suspend i get:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend: Function not supported
success.

Let me know if you have an idea or maybe should I provide more info. My hardware is Vaio P, btw.

cheers,
--
LS

edit: ok after giving it a thought, maybe this is not the right place to sort this out. If you think you can help me, please do so >>>HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8687758#post8687758)<<<.

Udibuntu
January 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
udi@udi-netbook:~$ wget http://gma500re.altervista.org/scripts/poulsbo.sh && sh ./poulsbo.sh
--2010-01-20 12:56:13-- http://gma500re.altervista.org/scripts/poulsbo.sh
Resolving gma500re.altervista.org... 78.129.205.104
Connecting to gma500re.altervista.org|78.129.205.104|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2010-01-20 12:56:13 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Did I do something wrong? was trying to install the script after upgrading to .17 kernel.

Thanks,

Udi

lucazade
January 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Did I do something wrong? was trying to install the script after upgrading to .17 kernel.

Thanks,

Udi

I've checked, we've reached hosting traffic limit for this month.
FYI you can just do "sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source" after a kernel update.

Délicator
January 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Have you mirror ? Or someone can mail me the script ?

r (albinaz@orange.fr)emoved email

thank you !

and, thank you for this script, my eeepc was really born after i'v install poulsbo drv