PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] program

nene7
August 2nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
hi,
I want i recomendation for a program like limewire, ares; some usefull program.

pedro3005
August 2nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
Limewire's got a Linux version, or you could use one called Frostwire. Just google them, you will find information and downloads :)

lisati
August 2nd, 2009, 04:40 AM
www.frostwire.com

nene7
August 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
my question is some good program i just use ares in windows and i want to know if ubunutu have some usefull program.

nene7
August 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
okay, frostwire thanks.

presence1960
August 2nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
ubuntu has tons of software, maybe you can help yourself get answers by being more specific. Which software in windows are you looking for a linux program to be a replacement.

P.S. I saw your other thread which was closed because you were looking for cracked software. There is no need for that in open source. Tread carefully my friend!

nene7
August 2nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
hey i am download in .deb but i what to learn to install download in .tar.gz

nene7
August 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
hey presence1960 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=657448) i am new with ubuntu and i have tons of question i can be specific because i have many doupt. I am always windows user and i am not used to ubuntu.

presence1960
August 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
hey presence1960 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=657448) i am new with ubuntu and i have tons of question i can be specific because i have many doupt. I am always windows user and i am not used to ubuntu.

well shoot away with the questions, we don't mind them. But when you just ask about software without qualifying what type of software or what you want to do with said software there really isn't much we can say to help you.

I hope you didn't take my post to mean I am upset you are asking questions because that is not true. Ask till your heart is content. We just request that you ask in a way which will be clear & definitive so we can get you the answers you need. Example of asking a question we can't possibly answer for you:
Re: program
my question is some good program i just use ares in windows and i want to know if ubunutu have some usefull program.

BTW welcome to the community.

pedro3005
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Answering your question, if a program is in .tar.gz , you open and extract it. You grab a terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and type 'cd nameofdirectory' which you just extracted. Then run './configure', let it finish, 'make' and then 'make install'. That is the general way. If it doesn't work, look on the folder, and there will probably be a doc folder, with tutorials and the such.
Hope it helps :)

NOTE: Only install a program this way if there is no other way to do it. Always try getting a .deb package or looking to see if it's in the repositories (run 'apt-cache search nameofprogram'.

lisati
August 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Another tip: when using a .tar.gz file (or a .zip file for that matter), look for a file named something like "README' in the archive. When there is one, it will often (but not always) have information about installing and using the software.