PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04-64 doesn't want to install to my IDE-microdrive

bluepowder7
August 2nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
i'm having an issue installing 8.04 64bit (server edition) onto my 2.5G microdrive (which plugs directly into the IDE header on the mobo using a basic CF-IDE adaptor). the installer simply does not find the drive, at all - whether i put it into the primary or secondary IDE controller channel. if i plug in some regular hard drives, they DO get found.

i know that the drive and adaptor are fine since if i run GParted (from its own bootable CD), i can see the drive and format it and label it and do the partitions (shows up as 2.23G or thereabouts)

i thought that the cf / microdrive interface was 100% IDE hard drive compatible, so why is it not finding it from the installer?

i am getting power to the microdrive, using the floppy-drive power connector that the card is made to accept.

as a short-term solution, i DID do the install onto a 1G SD card (got one of those sandisk ones that 'breaks' in half and has the USB connector on it) - but i would REALLY prefer to shove the OS onto the microdrive cuz i'm concerned about the write cycles onto flash memory.

i guess if the OS simply READS a lot, i don't have anything to worry about, but... i'm not sure how much is written so i'd rather play it a bit safe.

does ANYONE have any ideas???