PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Cannot get New Nvidia 185 drivers to install.

k4kelly
August 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'm new to Linux about 6 weeks now. I tried for 2 weeks to get Nvidia drivers to work and gave up for a while. I seen the new drivers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg2. I've tried the 180 version several time and 71. I get them isstalled but when I reboot only get terminal mode. I tried to load the 185 ver but get Unknown ID: message. I need some help
to get around this problem.

tipii
August 2nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
I have a similar problem in that the install deceptively seems to go ahead without a hitch.
After I install the Nvidia drivers (before doing anything else) and log off, tty7 fails to reload. I have tried drivers 185, 180 and the one before that.
When restarting I am automatically promted to log into tty1 and when I chvt 7 I am greeted with a black screen and a dismal flashing cursor.
I have tried reconfiguring the xserver-xorg and reverting to failsafe xorg.conf.

Arup
August 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Have you removed linux restricted modules

tipii
August 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
I just removed them but still have the same problem.
T

tipii
August 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I've since tried Ubuntu 8 and got the same problem. I am beginning to think it is something to do with my system... I am running two widescreen monitors (at different resolutions) and two sli graphics cards (GTX 260's), with the monitors plugged into one only. Everything works fine until I install the NVidia drivers. Can anyone help?

k4kelly
August 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
I removed the nvidia drivers " sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia*" and tried to install again but still have the same problem. Unknow ID: