PDA

View Full Version : [other] RAID 1 Setup

steinaro
August 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Hello All,
I have a Marvell RAID controller built into my motherboard. I am trying to setup a RAID 1 configuration. I had never done this before however the setup went fine. The only problem is that I can't see the RAID drive anywhere. I'd of thought that I could boot into Ubuntu or Windows and see it as a hard drive which I could save files to.
I am getting a little ahead of myself. I thought that after I created the RAID disk that I would have an opertunity to format the drives (haven't done that yet) however when I go into any format untilities it doesn't find them. Should I have formated the drives before making the RAID thingy :confused:

Can anyone give me some advice or criticism?

presence1960
August 2nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Hello All,
I have a Marvell RAID controller built into my motherboard. I am trying to setup a RAID 1 configuration. I had never done this before however the setup went fine. The only problem is that I can't see the RAID drive anywhere. I'd of thought that I could boot into Ubuntu or Windows and see it as a hard drive which I could save files to.
I am getting a little ahead of myself. I thought that after I created the RAID disk that I would have an opertunity to format the drives (haven't done that yet) however when I go into any format untilities it doesn't find them. Should I have formated the drives before making the RAID thingy :confused:

Can anyone give me some advice or criticism?

How did you install ubuntu? if you used the Live CD it has no support for RAID. You need to use the alternate text based installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate)

steinaro
August 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have three hard disks in my computer. One of them contains partitions with several operating systems installed including Ubuntu. My two new disks are the ones I want to make into a RAID 1 storage space. I don't intend to install an OS on them.
With that clear, to answer your questions; I did install from the LiveCD.

My main question at this point is, Should I have pre-formated the hard disks before making them RAID?