August 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
System Specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Laptop Model: HP G60-120US Notebook PC
Processor: AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Problem

I've already defragmented Windows Vista and even checked the disk for errors before begining the installation.

The installation was going fine, until I got to 90% of the installation. While it was at 90%, it read that the installer was checking hardware devices.

It stayed at 90% before my laptop shutdown. I'm not sure what to do about it, since I've followed the instructions from the Beginner's guide that was linked in this forum thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065).

LewRockwell
August 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM
which ubuntu?
which version?
md5 checksum correct?
cd burnt slow and checked?

results of LiveCD test-drive functioning satisfactorily?

LewRockwell
August 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM
you will also want to familiarize yourself with all of your machine's BIOS settings and that they are set to your satisfaction

clekstro
August 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
@LewRockwell: You're not actually Lew Rockwell, are you? Otherwise, I'd have to tell you that you're awesome...

But to the point of the thread: are you installing through Wubi or from an install CD?

LewRockwell
August 1st, 2009, 11:18 PM
@LewRockwell: You're not actually Lew Rockwell, are you? Otherwise, I'd have to tell you that you're awesome...

But to the point of the thread: are you installing through Wubi or from an install CD?

Obviously more than one "Lew Rockwell" exists

Nevertheless, thank you

To OP: if attempting a dual-boot installation have you used Vista to partition your hard drive appropriately?

WMarin288
August 2nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
which ubuntu?
which version?

Ubuntu 9.04, the current one being offered as a download on the main Ubuntu site.

md5 checksum correct?
cd burnt slow and checked?
Not sure what you're asking there.

results of LiveCD test-drive functioning satisfactorily?

Test Drive from the Live CD worked, although somewhat slow.

you will also want to familiarize yourself with all of your machine's BIOS settings and that they are set to your satisfaction

I don't even know what my satisfaction is supposed to be, I just want to get Ubuntu installed.

if attempting a dual-boot installation have you used Vista to partition your hard drive appropriately?
I followed the instructions detailed in this guide (http://books.google.com/books?id=kHLlJzI6L20C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false). I let the partitioning happen during the installation of Ubuntu.