PDA

View Full Version : Modifying lines in a text file

Volt9000
August 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ok, so I've got a .csv file which was generated from an Excel document. It looks like this:

"field1"," field2 "," field3 "

Now, unfortunately this is not exactly the format I want it in. The second and third fields seem to have a leading and trailing space, on ALMOST every line, which I want to remove. In addition, I want to add a number as the first field. So, the corrected line will look like this:

1,"field1","field2","field3"
2,"field1a","field2a","field3a"
etc.

Now I know there's probably a million and one ways to do this. I was trying to fix this up in a hurry so I just whipped together a quick and (very!!) dirty C program to do it for me. I'm not too proud of it, but it was the best I could do at the time.

I tried looking up documentation on tr, awk and sed, but alas I don't have nearly enough experience with either one (read: none) to be able to do anything with them.

I'm trying to get better with shell scripting, so I was hoping someone could give me a hand on how to do this with pure bash scripting, (i.e. no Python, Ruby, or any other languages, please.)

croto
August 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
maybe there's a cleaner solution, but I think this works:

cat inputfile | sed -e 's/"[[:space:]]*\([^[:space:]"]*\)[[:space:]]*"/"\1"/g' | awk '//{printf("%d,%s\n",NR,$0)}'

EDIT: there may be problems if there's a field that looks like
'" field with spaces between words "'

MadCow108
August 1st, 2009, 11:03 PM
should also work but even messier :)

#!/bin/bash
#!/bin/bash
c=0
while read line
do c=$(($c+1));
IFS=$','
trim_str=""
for tok in $line;
do
tok=`echo $tok | sed -e "s/[ \n\t]*\"[ \t\n]*\(.*\)\"/\1/" | sed -e "s/[ \t\n]*$//"`
if [ -z "$trim_str" ]; then
trim_str="\"$tok\""
else
trim_str="$trim_str,\"$tok\""
fi
done;
echo "$c, $trim_str";
IFS=$'\n'
done < "$1" #input file

croto
August 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM
This solution seems to not have the problem my previous solution had

cat lala | sed -e 's/"[[:space:]]*/"/g' -e 's/[[:space:]]*"/"/g' | awk '//{printf("%d,%s\n",NR,$0)}'

EDIT:
even better:

cat lala | sed -e 's/[[:space:]]*"[[:space:]]*/"/g' | awk '//{printf("%d,%s\n",NR,$0)}'

Dill
August 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM
A simple awk script can do the job:

awk '{gsub(" ",""); print FNR " " $0}' file

Cheers,
Dill

kaibob
August 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'm just learning, but it works:

nl -s "," -w 1 file | sed 's/ "/"/g;s/" /"/g'

ghostdog74
August 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
# more file
"field1"," field2 "," field3 "
"field1"," fie ld2 "," fie ld3 "
# awk -F"," '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){gsub(/^\" | \"/,"\"",$i)}{print NR,$0}}' OFS="," file
1,"field1","field2","field3"
2,"field1","fie ld2","fie ld3"

ahmatti
August 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Very nice solutions Dill and ghostdog! Show why awk is my favourite for this kind of things :) @Volt9000 note that none of the examples above is "pure bash", in fact awk is as much of a programming language as python or perl. Awk is generally present in *nix systems so it doesn't really make a difference. However, you can't really do much just bash (try installing just bash on win, even "ls" won't work), but you need to call the system commands. See the bash tutorial in ghostdogs signature for more info.

Volt9000
August 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Wow, talk about more than one way to skin a cat... :D
Thanks, guys!

nl -s "," -w 1 file | sed 's/ "/"/g;s/" /"/g'

Wow that's awesome, I didn't even know about that nl utility!

note that none of the examples above is "pure bash", in fact awk is as much of a programming language as python or perl.

Yes I suppose you're right...
Although these solutions are much shorter (albeit more complex) than my little C program.

Ok, I just realized something else: sometimes field3 will have embedded into it the following text:

&#xxx

where xxx is a 3-digit number. This may appear any number of times (including none) in field 3. I need to add a semicolon after this. So

hello&#xxxworld&#yyyfoo

will become

hello&#xxx;world&#yyy;foo

I'm not sure how to do this because it's not just a straightforward replacement, since I have to search for the pound sign, and add the semicolon 3 characters after it's found.

croto
August 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
It is a simple replacement,after all.

sed -e 's/[[:space:]]*"[[:space:]]*/"/g' -e 's/\(&#...\)/\1;/g' file | awk '//{printf("%d,%s\n",NR,$0)}'

Volt9000
August 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Amazing! Thanks! :D