PDA

View Full Version : Gos Linux

CaseSensative
August 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Well I've been up all night and I had a urge. Ubuntu has been my distro for a long time. So I decided to dual-boot with another distro. I chose Gos Linux, I chose it because I have a mac and it looks like OS X in my opinion and It is not to popular of a distro. I hope all goes well I will make a review of my personaly opinion in a week or so, or if I have any problems.

starcannon
August 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Well I've been up all night and I had a urge. Ubuntu has been my distro for a long time. So I decided to dual-boot with another distro. I chose Gos Linux, I chose it because I have a mac and it looks like OS X in my opinion and It is not to popular of a distro. I hope all goes well I will make a review of my personaly opinion in a week or so, or if I have any problems.

GL, I know I didn't like it much. It shipped with the failure known and an "Everex Cloudbook" some time back.

alexandari
August 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
well if it`s only about the look...

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/T-ish+Pack?content=30859
or
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/MacOS-X+Aqua+Theme?content=13548

and many more...

ArtF10
August 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
...I chose Gos Linux...I will make a review of my personaly opinion in a week or so, or if I have any problems.

Is it faster than Ubuntu 9.04(Gnome, ext4)?
Is it faster than XUbuntu 9.04(ext4)?

What's the hardware suport like(graphics drivers and printer detection)?

CaseSensative
August 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Is it faster than Ubuntu 9.04(Gnome, ext4)?
Is it faster than XUbuntu 9.04(ext4)?

What's the hardware suport like(graphics drivers and printer detection)?

I can not tell the speed diferance yet, but out of the box it has Wine, Adobe, and many google applications.

Skype already installed. It also supported my HP Deskjet D1420 printer.

littlemog
August 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
I had it installed for a while sometime back, can't say I like it at all, and definitely not a replacement for Ubuntu. That being said, I wonder if it was a test platform before they moved on to the upcoming ChromeOS...

CaseSensative
August 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
It was Green OS now it is Good OS, no relation to Google just it just integrates a lot of their program's.

Sublime Porte
August 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
gOS is an Ubuntu based distro anyway, so the differences are probably only going to be cosmetic.

That being said, I wonder if it was a test platform before they moved on to the upcoming ChromeOS.

It's not released by Google. The 'g' stands for good.

xuCGC002
August 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Bah, Google Desktop slows everything down. After removing it, it's pretty much like using Mint.

tc3000
August 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Awful distro.

CaseSensative
August 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM
Awful distro.

Don't just say its awful;, say a reason not just personal distaste.

HappinessNow
August 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Awful distro.
+1 the second worst, right behind DreamLinux (NIGHTMARE LINUX!)

koleoptero
August 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
I tried it a couple of years ago too. I like some of their ideas on the desktop, but overall I believe it feels a bit rough and premature. It needs work, and I doubt it's getting anywhere.

It was Green OS now it is Good OS, no relation to Google just it just integrates a lot of their program's.

It just integrates a whole bunch of shortcuts to their web apps using prism. I use some of them in ubuntu too.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
I remember booting the first release of GOS. It was brown Ubuntu until you logged in, and then the desktop turned green with a bunch of crap in a docking station.

steveneddy
August 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
We tried gOS around Christmas last year and we didn't find anything that would take us away from Ubuntu.

CJ Master
August 3rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Awful distro.

Ubuntu's an awful distro.

See? I state my opinion like facts too! :D

Sand & Mercury
August 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Ubuntu's an awful distro.

See? I state my opinion like facts too! :D
You mean if he just put 'imo' at the end no one would mind at all?

Isn't it obvious right from the get go that words to describe things such as 'good', 'bad', 'awful', 'great' etc are inherently opinions and not facts?

amitabhishek
August 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Downloading! No harm in giving it a spin!!!:D

TpyKv
August 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I was going to give it a go also until I realised it would be better install OSX if you want it to look/feel like a Mac :)

Luckily on my acer aspire one it's a fairly easy task!

How did the rest of you get on with GOS?

Plumtreed
August 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I read the comments on GOS and,frankly, I thought it was a 'handy' and clean looking system.

Everything seemed to work for me except wireless! I thought I had left all that behind, especially in a system based on Ubuntu. I shut it down to carry on with Ubuntu 9.04.:KS

I imagine it has to do with upgrading NetworkManager and I may do that some day:confused:

nestor5
September 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I read the comments on GOS and,frankly, I thought it was a 'handy' and clean looking system.

Everything seemed to work for me except wireless! I thought I had left all that behind, especially in a system based on Ubuntu. I shut it down to carry on with Ubuntu 9.04.:KS

I imagine it has to do with upgrading NetworkManager and I may do that some day:confused:
I installed and ran gOS linux from an 8 GB flash drive, and my impressions of it are not very favourable. My first thought was that with all these web apps which the system seems to be based on, wouldn't it have made sense to have made a gui internet connection app the first thing thing you see on the desktop? There are no icons telling you your connectivity status, and no obvious way to get online. Even shutting down the machine requires one to navigate through a menu to find the correct icon. In all, this OS looks pretty, but the design seems devoid of all common sense.

mr-woof
September 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I've just installed gos on my eee900, but I can't get the wireless to work. Anyone got any handy ideas?

Plumtreed
September 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 seemed to resolve many wireless problems. My recollection is that GOS is based on an earlier version of Ubuntu. Perhaps you can update NetworkManager to the 9.04 version, in GOS, to get a more effective wireless set up.

This was going on in these forums for Ubuntu 8.04 and I suggest you search for a 'how-to' if you are that determined to get GOS wireless working. Why?
:confused:

Look at Crunchbang Linux for a better OS.......the GOS forum looks 'dead' to me!

nestor5
September 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I tried to give gOS the benefit of the doubt because I discovered that I had tried a very old version of the OS, so I downloaded and checked out the latest version. I saw that they had corrected some of the ommissions I had written about, but there still is no wireless connectivity option available!
This is a fatal weakness for an OS that is based on web applications, because many internet enthusiasts today depend almost exclusively on wireless connections for their internet access.
I also tried the latest version of Ubuntu as a comparison. It features easy wireless connectivity, which I was initially impressed with, but this was short lived when I discovered that (a) the browser does not support flash (therefore, no youtube videos) (b) the included video player cannot even play simple .avi files, because it does not have the required plug in or whatever.
Additionally, the wireless connection only worked for one more session, and when I booted the system a third time, it completely failed to connect.When I checked my settings I found that my wpa key had been replaced by a string of gibberish.I tried to delete my old profile and set up a new connection from scratch, but the system kept using the old gibberish string for the security key.
So all I can say is that unless I can accept having to use wired ethernet,
and in the case of ubuntu also obtaining mutimedia players and codecs from unofficial sources, linux in general may not be for me.

nestor5
September 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Just a quick comment on what I think is the most awful user interface "feature" since microsoft bob (I apologise for going off topic here): the gnome keyring. I believe Ubuntu users everywhere would breathe a sigh of releif if this monstrosity were permanently removed from the OS.My problem with it is that once I boot Ubuntu or Mint (and I would guess any gnome based OS), and I initialize the wireless card and enter my WPA key, I can go no further unless I agree to add the key to the the keyring, and create a new password for the keyring itself.
Unfortunately, the keyring encrypts (or should I say shreds) my WPA key, and can't seem to recover it. The result is that I am unable to log back in wirelessly after a reboot, because the system no longer allows me to manually enter the key: it insists on using the mangled version stored on the keyring.
I am not even allowed to create a new wireless connection and connect manually, or should I say I can do that, but the result is that I get the prompt that my wireless connection is activated, while at the same time I can see that the wireless lan card has completely switched off!
Maybe the designers of gOS did not include wireless connectivity because they failed to resolve their own issues with the interface and drivers, and they chose not to put out a flawed bug riddled solution

levian
October 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
has anyone happened to come across how to get its wireless to work?

oboedad55
October 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Microsoft "Bob" is the worst idea anyone has ever had. Gos is okay, but it's based on Hardy so if you have any problems with hardy they'll just tag along with you to "good" os...

Plumtreed
October 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM
has anyone happened to come across how to get its wireless to work?

Get the latest version of NetworkManager or WICD and you will get it running.

Better still, just download & install either Masonux or Sprilinux and you should be up and running with an up-to-date OS. Your wireless will work right out of the box. They can be found by searching this forum or by googling! You can try them as live CD's without disturbing what you have on your PC.

Gos is based on Ubuntu 8.04 Which is not the latest version.

levian
October 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
thanks for the advices! i am currently trying out debian. had one crazy adventure trying to connect it to the wireless network! finally it is connecting, but now i am having trouble with installing programs (skype, pidgin, office, etc), all because of dependencies errors. would love to have synaptic or some sort of dependencies support like ubuntu. i love ubuntu 9.04!

Plumtreed
October 2nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
thanks for the advices! i am currently trying out debian. had one crazy adventure trying to connect it to the wireless network! finally it is connecting, but now i am having trouble with installing programs (skype, pidgin, office, etc), all because of dependencies errors. would love to have synaptic or some sort of dependencies support like ubuntu. i love ubuntu 9.04!

Perhaps you should tell us why you don't use Ubuntu9.04. If you got GOS running on your computer you will probably be able to get some form of Ubuntu running.

levian
October 5th, 2009, 01:46 AM
ubuntu 9.04 was by far the most satisfied version of linux that i had used. but unfortunately, i am having trouble with its graphic (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1260011).

Sand & Mercury
October 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Just a quick comment on what I think is the most awful user interface "feature" since microsoft bob (I apologise for going off topic here): the gnome keyring. I believe Ubuntu users everywhere would breathe a sigh of releif if this monstrosity were permanently removed from the OS.My problem with it is that once I boot Ubuntu or Mint (and I would guess any gnome based OS), and I initialize the wireless card and enter my WPA key, I can go no further unless I agree to add the key to the the keyring, and create a new password for the keyring itself.
Unfortunately, the keyring encrypts (or should I say shreds) my WPA key, and can't seem to recover it. The result is that I am unable to log back in wirelessly after a reboot, because the system no longer allows me to manually enter the key: it insists on using the mangled version stored on the keyring.
I am not even allowed to create a new wireless connection and connect manually, or should I say I can do that, but the result is that I get the prompt that my wireless connection is activated, while at the same time I can see that the wireless lan card has completely switched off!
Maybe the designers of gOS did not include wireless connectivity because they failed to resolve their own issues with the interface and drivers, and they chose not to put out a flawed bug riddled solution
iirc, if you agree to use the keyring but don't set a password, it won't bother you anymore. It'll work transparently, though it will warn you that your passwords are unencrypted etc etc.

darksideforge
October 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm just now finding out about gOS and am going to experiment with it at some point in the near future. I'll make sure and report back with my opinions. From the outset, I like the look of the DTE and the concept of The Cloud.