PDA

View Full Version : give me the what's up on pda's

fuscia
January 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM
i was going to get a laptop, but i've recently discovered that a pda would do it for me. (if it fits in my pocket, there's no argument.) so, i have this old palm v that my wife never used. no software, but i'm waiting for a disc of games to arrive that i got off ebay. eventually, i would like to one that has wifi, browser, email, etc. in the running are the palm tx, some kind of zaurus, or the nokia 770. i don't have xp or 2000, so i would have trouble unless i can use these in conjunction with my linux box.

additional plus - pda's are way cheaper than laptops

PS. I HATE PHONES!!!

xequence
January 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Id say youre better off with a laptop. A good PDA will run you at around 400-500$ as far as I know. A laptop will be more expensive then that, but MUCH more useful. Honestly, with a 300*300 or a bit higher screen you get a little limited. And no worries about not being able to connect to your ubuntu computer - it can be your ubuntu computer =P

fuscia
January 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Id say youre better off with a laptop. A good PDA will run you at around 400-500$ as far as I know. A laptop will be more expensive then that, but MUCH more useful. Honestly, with a 300*300 or a bit higher screen you get a little limited. And no worries about not being able to connect to your ubuntu computer - it can be your ubuntu computer =P

thanks, mom, but what about pdas?

erikpiper
January 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Get a clamshe;ll zaurus with a good screen. (VGA)
Get a CF wifi card
Have fun

Conics sells zauruses at fairly good prices
Zaurus user group forums will help you

xequence
January 29th, 2006, 12:16 AM

I dont know much about PDAs. I was gonna buy one until I thought: "What will I accually use it for?".

poofyhairguy
January 29th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Get the most expensive Palm you can afford with the highest resolution you can afford.

I have a WinCE Pocket PC from Toshiba and it is SLOW.

somuchfortheafter
January 29th, 2006, 03:58 AM
* I second the expensive thing, although a lifedrive i tested was almost as slow as my tungsten e2 so I didnt upgrade, I bought the tungsten e2 off ebay used so after about 2 years its still going but not that fast. Also wifi is painfully slow when browsing the web...

BWF89
January 29th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I don't have one but it looks really cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapwave_Zodiac

erikpiper
January 29th, 2006, 05:45 AM
http://conics.net/shp/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/index.html

the c700 is SLOW though. It is too old/cheap. They all have VGA screens, and are FAST. 400 Mhz! They also run linux.