PDA

View Full Version : If I were to buy a netbook

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
I'm going to college next month and I would like to buy a netbook for school studies and work and what-not.

Out of the two I was looking at (because of price, and my need to buy school books) which would be the better buy?

Acer Aspire One?

or

MSI Wind?

(I know they both 99% of the time come with Windows which isn't nearly as good for a laptop; boot-times, smaller resource imprint, etc., as Linux is, just go along with the netbooks using Windows XP/Vista)

Doctor Debian
August 1st, 2009, 06:11 AM
I recommend the Aspire, great netbook for a great price, works excellently under 9.04 with the 'old' Intel driver.

coldReactive
August 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
Netbooks aren't built for word processing by the way.

Netbooks also don't come with CD/DVD-ROM Drives.

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM

What do you mean about the word processing? I'm sure they could handle OpenOffice on a 1GB RAM system

And I'm aware of the lack of a optical drive

aysiu
August 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM
Netbooks with a 95%-sized keyboard are fine for word processing. I have an HP Mini 1120nr, and it's great for typing.

Bigtime_Scrub
August 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
I have an Aspire One running Linpus Light. It is fast, stable, and does everything it is supposed to. The screen on that sucker is very bright and it has no hardware issues what so ever if you leave it with Linpus.

There are only 2 downsides to it.

1st. Linpus Light is based on Fedora 8 and the packages are a bit out of date.

2nd. The battery life is not very good, so if you do decide to go with that look into getting a better battery.

Other than that its great and it already comes with Firefox and Open Office.

northwestuntu
August 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Netbooks aren't built for word processing by the way

doesnt seem like there would be a problem.

OutOfReach
August 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM
My Aspire One is great, I love it, and even tough typing isn't the best you get used to it.

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM
I was leaning towards the Aspire One because I was at Walmart today and I was looking at them for like 15 minutes and they keyboard on the one I liked (10.1") seemed better then my laptop's.

metalf8801
August 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
I'm in collage your going to want a real laptop

Laptops can do a lot more then next books because there so much more prower full. Comparing a intel Centrino 2 CPU to a Intel Atom is like comparing a harley motorcycles to a Kids bicycle

also the most important difference is that a full size keyboard on a laptop is going to allow you to type fast which you can't do with a tiny Netbook keyboard

bigger screen the bigger your screen the more productive your going to be (don't get me wrong I'm not saying you should get a laptop with a monitor thats 17 inches because thats not portable but a 15 inch is great

and last laptops have bigger hard drives that way you will be able to get a hard drive thats big enough to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu because theres a good chance you will take a class that your going to need to use software thats only going to work on Windows (Sad but true)

just something you should think about before buy a netbook
Dan

PS there are more reasons but I think those are enough

yagamihachi
August 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
i'm using MSI wind dual-boot with xp. i love it. The negative thing is xp will double its boot time. :(

earthpigg
August 1st, 2009, 07:18 AM
i have nothing to contribute to the hardware aspect of this discussion, but ill toss in that i have found crunchbang, the light edition, to be the best netbook distro out there so far.

-ubuntu based
-from power on -> desktop in under 60 seconds, sitting at 115 mb of ram usage. once you strip all the crud away, its at around 80.
-lite is better than normal, in my opinion. the normal edition seems to have suffered from "the .iso is only 400 mb! quick, add another 300mb of crap to justify a 700mb cd-r!"

that being said, i still think its to much. im playing around with a mini.iso command line install + lxde + synaptic + firefox + pidgin + ubuntu-restricted-extras + NOTHING ELSE right now... may remastersys it and share it.

ugm6hr
August 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM
If you want it for college, I would suggest you have a go doing a reasonable amount of typing on the keyboards. I find that is the most important factor in using a Netbook.

My Dell Mini 9 is perfectly comfortable, and I use it 99.9% of the time over my 14.1" laptop for presentations, job applications, a couple of editorials etc.

Just get a decent size SD card for storage, or buy one with a proper HD.

As for your 2 choices, I don't know which is better. I have just bought a HP 10" for my dad, which he likes.

gn2
August 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Also consider the battery life when looking at price.

In the UK the cheapest netbook is the AA1, but it has a small battery and doesn't last very long.

The MSI Wind does have an option for a large capacity battery and was the winner in a netbook group test recently in issue 121 (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/archives?issue=121) of LXF magazine.

3rdalbum
August 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
The Linux edition of the Aspire One has a very slow SSD - it's quite annoying. And you can't *quite* run it on 512mb of RAM without having swap, which makes things slower.

The Aspire Ones are good machines, just make sure you get one with a hard drive, and you can pick up nine cell batteries from eBay.

infestor
August 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
in turkey netbooks arent that cheap, the price of a decent laptop (also same in denmark).
i nevermind the hardware power but a tiny screen and keyboard is pretty annoying. only >=17" laptop keyboards (must be with a numpad) and screens are comfy enuff for me.
thats why desktop rlz, have my hardware in a crappy case; all my hardware except hdds, monitor fits in a mainboard box. pretty ******* mobile, huh? :)

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
The Netbooks I was looking at had 160GB of harddrive, which is more than double my current laptop

I can see your point on the processor and the dual booting (which I have no clue how to do :P). Dual booting would be good because I'm going for computer programming so having Linux and Windows on the same computer would be a godsend I believe.

Thanks for the feedback =)

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Also I would definitely be looking into buying a 6 (or if there's a 9 cell) cell battery

The Aspire One I was looking at hat big honking keys and it was a perfect size keyboard

Lavaeagle
August 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM

1. I work at Best Buy and that is one of the main reasons they exist for word processing and surfing the internet.

2. Very true you need the external disc drive.

3. Acer

4. Find the Asus one if you can much better than the rest of em.

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
I was considering (sorry if links are not allowed):

Acer Aspire One
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/DescribeBundleComponent.do?bundle_id=11989521&component_id=1&item_id=11090759

Asus Eee
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9441909&type=product&id=1218105184065

They both have 6 Cell batteries and 160GB HDD

The only thing that I would go with the Eee is the wireless B+G+N

Phyxiis
August 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
The only bad thing (and it's not really that bad) is that the Aspire One comes with Vista Home Basic (but there's a Windows 7 Upgrade for it when it comes out)

Would I be better off buying it with Vista and then switch over to TinyXP?

starcannon
August 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
We bought an MSI Wind for my wife, she's finishing up a Psych degree, lots of typing; she has no complaints on the word processing front. She was on an Asus Eee 8g, and she couldn't stand the keyboard on that one.

I liked the fact that MSI had already partitioned the HDD for me; indeed if we wanted to dual boot, windows was on a 30gb partition from the factory, and the rest of the drive was another partition, this would have made dual boot setup easy for a newer GNU/Linux system installer. We never use windows for school though, so I just blizted it and gave Ubuntu the entire drive.

I did weenie out and put a second hand intel 3495 pro wifi card in it, and while I had the case open I maxed out the ram to 2gb. With these 2 mods, it has been running 9.04 flawlessly, I may put the lpia kernel on there for her since she only has the 3cell battery though.

I was looking at Acer Aspire Ones at Wal-mart here about a week ago, they are dirt cheap, and from what I can tell, they look like they would run Ubuntu quite nicely. If I were to buy another netbook right now, I'd likely try the Acer.

GL and Enjoy, I personally think you'll be happy with either one.

littlemog
August 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Running Ubuntu & Xp off Asus EEEPC... it's already a year old but runs fantastic. The long battery time means I can literally work off at a cafe for the whole day. (almost) On Ubuntu, 2GB of RAM goes a long way.

Phyxiis
August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
On my current laptop I installed Wubi and I have to say I am very happy =D

XP Pro and Ubuntu (or which ever flavor I want) on one computer without partitioning =D

I am very happy

Granito_man
August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'd suggest Asus EEE, i have the 901 model and everything worked out of the box, Ubuntu Jaunty installed.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
I'm not a big fan of Acer quality even though they present a good value on paper.

I own an Asus eeepc that I've modded a bit and a custom MSI notebook, very pleased with both of them.

My 9" eeepc is a little too small to use for serious word processing. You should be able to get away with a 10" model though, the keyboard is just that much better.

Cam42
August 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
doesn't system76 have a netbook available?

init1
August 3rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
What do you mean about the word processing? I'm sure they could handle OpenOffice on a 1GB RAM system

And I'm aware of the lack of a optical drive
I've run OpenOffice on a 64MB system before.

aysiu
August 3rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
doesn't system76 have a netbook available?
Yes, but its wireless is flawed:
Weak Wireless Performance with Starling (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1202015)