PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 freezes at 63% on install

sebas215
August 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM
I was installing Ubuntu from cd.Everything was going great until I hit 63% and it just stayed at 63% for 20 minutes so I did a manual shutdown and came to ask on here anybody have any ideas. I checked for defects and it said I had 1 error maybe I should delete the os off the disk and burn it again. :confused::confused::confused:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Doctor Debian
August 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
I was installing Ubuntu from cd.Everything was going great until I hit 63% and it just stayed at 63% for 20 minutes so I did a manual shutdown and came to ask on here anybody have any ideas. I checked for defects and it said I had 1 error maybe I should delete the os off the disk and burn it again. :confused::confused::confused:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tried reburning the CD at a lower speed? If you have already, perhaps your CD drive's optical sensor is dirty, or your hard drive is failing.

These suggestions are assuming that it froze during the copying files phase, by the way.

Andrew

sebas215
August 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM
I am going to try reburning at a lower speed since i believe I left it at the highest speed you can burn at =) I dont think the sensor is dirty maybe dusty because I don't use it to often. :o

Isn't there ubuntu partially on my computer already since i canceled more than half way through installation can i delete it?

metalf8801
August 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
I am going to try reburning at a lower speed since i believe I left it at the highest speed you can burn at =) I dont think the sensor is dirty maybe dusty because I don't use it to often. :o

Isn't there ubuntu partially on my computer already since i canceled more than half way through installation can i delete it?

yes part of Ubuntu should be installed but your going to need to write over it now

also make sure to check the disc for defects when you boot the live CD it should be an option right after you pick your language

tommcd
August 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
If you are burning the CD from Windows, you may want to try Infra Recorder:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Burn at the slowest possible speed, as has already been suggested. Then boot up the CD and choose the option "Check disc for defects". If it passes the test, then proceed with the installation.

sebas215
August 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
thank you for the help