PDA

View Full Version : How to catch up on news weekly without missing anything?

CTenorman
August 1st, 2009, 05:14 AM
I'm trying to simplify my life while remaining somewhat informed of the world around me, and have decided to read the news only once a week. The catch is that I've yet to find a way that I won't miss a number of things!

I tried subscribing to rss feeds, but they only go back a day or two at most for news sites. Does anyone have any ideas how I could keep up on the news while only checking once a week?

Thanks!

Stevie78
August 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
A weekly newsmag...?!

DeadSuperHero
August 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
I've ended up refusing to watch the news anymore. Most channels just depress me and make my blood pressure go through the roof, and carry a general message of distate at most political parties, ideologies, etc.

Instead, I've done two things:

1) Read Digg on a regular basis. It's still opinionated, but I get to choose what I get to read about.

2) Ask around in real life. If a buddy brings up some latest event I haven't heard about, I just say "No, I didn't know that", and multiple friends explain multiple sides of it.

I find it's less depressing than news channels.

x33a
August 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
well, you can update your rss feeds daily, but read them later :)

or maybe this could help:

http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en&gl=us

CTenorman
August 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all your replies! I've found The Economist's RSS feeds, and I'm hoping they may do the trick! All the best!

Copernicus1234
August 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I've ended up refusing to watch the news anymore. Most channels just depress me and make my blood pressure go through the roof, and carry a general message of distate at most political parties, ideologies, etc.

Instead, I've done two things:

1) Read Digg on a regular basis. It's still opinionated, but I get to choose what I get to read about.

2) Ask around in real life. If a buddy brings up some latest event I haven't heard about, I just say "No, I didn't know that", and multiple friends explain multiple sides of it.

I find it's less depressing than news channels.

100% agree and I do the same. I only check out the tech news these days using Digg, Slashdot and other sites. Why do people watch the mainstream news? They are probably even harmful to their psychological state. Anyone who doesnt get depressed, angry or annoyed while watching the mainstream news doesnt react in a natural way to it anymore.

Grenage
August 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I've ended up refusing to watch the news anymore

Same here. It's amazing how much happier I've been since I stopped reading, watching or listening to the news... or any telly at all, lol.

Eisenwinter
August 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Same here. It's amazing how much happier I've been since I stopped reading, watching or listening to the news... or any telly at all, lol.
I also no longer seek out news on my own. I believe it poisons your mind, and fills it with useless information that you don't need to know.

Unfortunately, sometimes the guys at work listen to the radio, so I can't manage to avoid it every single day.

I don't understand the people who hear the news is on, so they raise the volume to a near-maximum level. I mean, why would you deliberately want to listen to something which is of absolutely no use to you? I really don't get it.

aeiah
August 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I also no longer seek out news on my own. I believe it poisons your mind, and fills it with useless information that you don't need to know.

Unfortunately, sometimes the guys at work listen to the radio, so I can't manage to avoid it every single day.

I don't understand the people who hear the news is on, so they raise the volume to a near-maximum level. I mean, why would you deliberately want to listen to something which is of absolutely no use to you? I really don't get it.

i think the general idea is that you read the news to stay abreast of current situations around the world so you can make informed choices that affect you and others around you. how do you know who to vote for if you dont know any context?

oh, and i know its not online, but for print media, i hear http://www.theweek.co.uk is good for uk-centric world affairs.