PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP DV6 / Audio / Ubu Security Updates

kg84
August 1st, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hi Guys... I have Ubuntu installed (dual boot with Vista Home Premium) on an HP DV6-1130TX laptop. Like other DVx laptop users, I have recently had issues with audio (ie it disappears). Numerous fixes I had previously seen had not worked.

A couple of days ago, I was steered towards this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting#ALSA%20driver%20Compilation There's a section halfway down entitled 'Having sound issues with HP dvx laptop' After following the instructions here to d/l, compile and install the ALSA drivers and a re-boot, my audio returned. I was well pleased.

Jump forward to today. An hour or so ago, I downloaded the listed 'Important Security Updates' via the update manager and then re-booted. Unfortunately, my audio disappeared altogether again. Feeling rather peeved, I proceeded to repeat the fix detailed above and lo and behold, after a re-boot my audio returned. :)

I think I have seen some posts (perhaps here or elsewhere) stating that the Ubu guys are aware of issues relating between Linux and the DVx series of laptops.

Anyway, I thought I would post this 'fix' as I know there are a few DVx laptop users out there that have experienced similar issues.

All the best.

hasanguven
August 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks "kg84". I have hp dv6 1140et. I installed ubuntu but ı was not able to solve the sound problem, though I tried everything. the page worked.Thanks again...

kg84
August 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks "kg84". I have hp dv6 1140et. I installed ubuntu but ı was not able to solve the sound problem, though I tried everything. the page worked.Thanks again...

Thats actually good to know, hasanguven. I have just done a whole lot of updates that I have been putting off for the last week or so and guess what? My sound has disappeared again. :)

Time to re-apply the fix :)

kg84
August 25th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Well, I am back :) and for those of you who are interested I can confirm that the fix (detailed above) applied twice previously has now worked again, for a 3rd time :)

Cheers for now.

sergiom99
August 26th, 2009, 02:44 AM
It seems you need to re apply the patch everytime you do some major updates (ie: kernel updates)
It would be great if you guys file a bug at launchpad.net so that this gets fixed.

Good luck!