PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] power supply fan stops at times... need help figuring out why...

hockey97
August 1st, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hi, I want to know if new powersupply has smart power management I don't know how you can tell about a power supply.

I have a power supply that is 800 watt. I notice the fan stops at times. I have the case open to check it out. I notice that the power supply is not hot at all. Do you think it has a power management control??

TigerCR1200
August 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM
I don't know of any commands, but I have a few ideas on how to find out.
First do you know the model number and manufacturer of your Power Supply?
Second check in your bios it may give some indication as to when the fan will turn on and off.

hockey97
August 1st, 2009, 04:34 AM
I don't know of any commands, but I have a few ideas on how to find out.
First do you know the model number and manufacturer of your Power Supply?
Second check in your bios it may give some indication as to when the fan will turn on and off.

Ya the powersupply is called POWERUP 800 watt ATX power supply.

I can't really find the manufactor name unless it's POWERUP I doubt that it is since I know that's a trade mark name.

I got it off ebay last year. I never experienced it to shut off. I did checked the bios which I find no turn on or off or logical power management.

I don't even see a temp reading in bios. This is a old computer.

I do have a newer computer I built like 3 years ago. I know that has a fan control in bios. Where you can manage the mart power management.

I was told that most of the new power supplies have their own power management.

I just want to know if I should do anything. I bought a 700 watt power supply before this one which was 2 years ago and that power supply done something similar but the sound was loud and noisy. Then one day the fan flat out stopped and the power supply heated up and then my computer shut down and I never was able to turn the pc back on never got to power it back up.

I opened my pc and the power supply and found capacitors having some sort of juice dripping from the top and seem that the capacitor was melting and cause a short circuit.

I am afraid that this will happen with this one yet I know that their is powersupplys that have a power management control.

I notice when the fan comes back on I put my hand on the exhaust part and feel it not blowing any hot air but the air is cool not hot not cold but warm air. I am guessing that it has some sort of on board power management.Since I have very old bios and my computer is very old. I don't think my bios can interface with the powersuppy managment. So I guess it's on default which means it's on.

this is my guess. It just started like 2 days ago doing this. We did have cool days which maybe a factor. I did see some dust on the fan blades.

do you think I should clean the fan just in case?