PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Laptops.

Topher88
July 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hi. I am in the market for a new laptop, and I will probably be dual booting it with Ubuntu (possibly Ubuntu Studio). I have narrowed my search down to two HP laptops that only differ by $50, and I was just wondering which of these two laptops would be a better bet. One computer has a 2GHz Intel core 2 duo processor with an Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics card, and the other has a 2.20GHz AMD Turion X2 Ultra processor with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics card. I have heard something about Ubuntu not playing well with AMD/ATI, so I don't really know what that's about.

So which one of these computers would play better with Ubuntu? If either would be fine, then which of these two configurations is going to offer better performance? Completely putting Ubuntu aside, would I be better off paying the extra $50 for the 2.20GHz processor as opposed to the 2 GHz, or will that make much of a difference (also taking into consideration the different graphics cards). I do some video editing, so I would like a computer that can handle that, and maybe some light gaming.

Here are the pages on NewEgg so you can view any other specs you might need to know about.

HP Pavilion dv6-1250us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350(2.00GHz) Intel GMA 4500MHD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157007)

HP Pavilion dv6-1268nr NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157020)

Also... I've heard about this deal where if you buy a Vista computer, you get to upgrade to Windows 7 for free in October. They have stopped shipping computers with recovery discs, so I won't be able to have a Vista backup in case my Ubuntu install goes awry, but I was wondering... For that free Windows 7 install; does anyone know if they'll give me a free disk so I can do it myself or will I have to have THEM update it?

ori555
August 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend, the store that will best sell you an hp notebook is http://www.sortprice.com/search-OQ-Lowest-hp_entertainment_notebook

saidinesh5
August 1st, 2009, 12:38 AM
if i were in your shoes, i would go with the 2nd option (for the ONLY reason that it features a really good graphics card, when compared to intel graphics card.).. i dont really think, ubuntu would be much of a problem when it comes to these graphics cards...

as far as processor speed is concerned, you shouldnt really bother much about it, cuz most of your time, you wud use not more than 10% your processor power.

and all the HP computers come with a utility which help you burn your own recovery discs ... so dont really bother about that..(my own experience out here :) ).

and when it comes to the windows 7 thing.. the website says that it will ship you the installation discs for free.. so i dont really think you have anything to worry over here :)

Topher88
August 1st, 2009, 01:26 AM
it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend, the store that will best sell you an hp notebook is http://www.sortprice.com/search-OQ-Lowest-hp_entertainment_notebook

Holy crap, dude... Those prices are insane! What's the catch to this website? There has to be one...

Edit: Nvm, looking at the wrong models. Still pretty sweet prices, though!

Topher88
August 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
if i were in your shoes, i would go with the 2nd option (for the ONLY reason that it features a really good graphics card, when compared to intel graphics card.).. i dont really think, ubuntu would be much of a problem when it comes to these graphics cards...

See though, someone else on these forums said earlier today that ATI cards are way behind Intel... I'm confuzzled.

Topher88
August 2nd, 2009, 03:45 AM
Well, thanks for all of your help, but I went with the Intel. Getting ready to Linuxify it.

tuco penguin
August 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
I realize Topher88 has made his decision. I'm also in the market for a similar laptop and have been trying to wrap my head around the various graphic card options, so I'll continue the thread. I'm pretty set on dedicated GPU memory, which limits the lower price point. Will hopefully dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7, with 99% of time spent in Ubuntu (but might as well get Windows bundled on the cheap and installed, while I'm buying hardware.)

I've been pretty much assuming that the Intel GPU options are all integrated solutions, and generally inferior. Do most agree this is the case today?

I have also read in another thread that ATI's support for Linux has dramatically improved since their acquisition by AMD. Indeed, their website now hosts a slough of drivers for Linux. So while I started a couple weeks ago assuming NVidia was my only option for dedicated GPU, I am now open to all the ATI options also. Can anyone speak to the compatibility issue with ATI these days? Is it true that ATI hardware is now well supported under Linux, either through Ubuntu repositories or through vendor-supplied channels? Or are there still many horror stories about people struggling to get good graphics with the latest ATI cards?

I'd also appreciate comments about brands and specific models in the sub-$800 range with dedicated graphics and core-2 duo (or equivalent AMD) processors, 15"-16" screens. My very generalized summary of research to date:

Acer and MSI offer the most bang for the buck in this realm. Acer appears to use proprietary firmware that leaves Ubuntu out in the cold for video support, though (see my post on their 5739 model in another thread), and has a mediocre reputation for quality and service. I'm uncertain of MSI service or quality.

HP, Lenovo, and Samsung all have pretty good reputations and have offerings that fit the bill, but for substantially more $$ and/or fewer features. (I mean smaller hard drives, less memory, no fingerprint readers, no numeric keypads, pay to add the webcam, etc.) The HP dz6* and g60t* could both be configured pretty well within my price range, though. Dell should also fall in this category, but I've had trouble locating a model that stands up well in my lineup of potentials.

I don't have too much to go on with Toshiba and Asus. Emachines and Gateway carry a stigma I'm hard pressed to get past, and I suspect the Acer/Gateway relationship is more than skin deep, too.

Suggestions welcome, and all input much appreciated. I'm very grateful to have such great community support here at Ubuntu forums.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
I love my MSI. I had powernotebooks.com assemble a rebranded MSI whitebook to my spec and it's served me well for the last year. Lots of bang for the buck. Same for my Compal which I like even more, although it is a year older. Don't be shy of these brands.

Love my Asus eeepc, and I think very highly of their products if you can find something that you can afford. My mother recently bought a Lenovo and it is pretty nice actually.

I would stay away from Acer/Emachines/Gateway.