PDA

View Full Version : have you ever killed a system for fun

xir_
July 31st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Just wondering how many of you might have done this?

I was working with the new karmic alpha and a kernel update messed xorg up , so i spent an hour trying fix the system, but i had no luck... so once i got some files off that i wanted to keep i hosed it using a recursive delete command just so i could watch it go poof.

so am i just cruel, or is this the same pleasure you get when you kill off a sim or press the volcano button in sim city.

Edit bodhi.zazen

Please do NOT post malignant code on this thread.

violations will be removed and or infracted or this thread may need to be closed or jailed.

Cam42
July 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
I did this when x.org broke also, although this was due to a power failure, I believe. I copied files to my second hard drive,

schauerlich
July 31st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I've done this many a time. Most recently, it was a borked FreeBSD install.

lykwydchykyn
July 31st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I did this last week, testing Arch on an old Dell and finally gave up after deciding the video hardware was junk. Only I used dd to write zeros into the hard drive.

The funny thing is when it completes you end up with a running system with nothing on the hard drive.

OK, it's not that funny. Unless you just have a sick sense of humor.

moster
July 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM
I have accidentally deleted my boot screen,maybe something else but nothing important...

But, I was so mad that I after that, I "update" jaunty with unsupported and pre-released updates. Installed KDE, XFCE, everything that I did not know for what is for from repositories... Just raving mad for few hours.. Everything fell apart in the end when I install some .deb or something for wrong version of Ubuntu.

RATM_Owns
July 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
All the time.

I **** on a Gentoo install a few days ago.

Edit: code removed.

bodhi.zazen
July 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Please do NOT post malignant code on this thread.

violations will be removed and or infracted or this thread may need to be closed or jailed.

Bodsda
July 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM
I play a game called delete the file.

I have a small python script that randomly selects a file from /etc or one of the subfolders, it then deletes said file. If my system does not crash the script will run again after 5 minutes. If it has 5 successful iterations then it picks a letter and removes with *<letter>* :)

Obviously I do this in a VM.

CJ Master
July 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM
I agree if somebody uses code from "how to KILL your system" for fun they deserve to have their system killed...

I've never (intentionally) killed my computer... ya'll have a twisted sense of humor. :P

brian183
July 31st, 2009, 07:44 PM
When I was first writing php I wrote an infinite loop and it crashed a windows server. I think it was php4 (maybe even php3) and win2k server. Shortly after that my web host, and now good online friend whom I've known for years now, decided to start running LAMP servers for web hosting.

decoherence
July 31st, 2009, 07:44 PM
Who decides whether it's obvious you shouldn't run code in a certain thread?

I killed my Mac 9500. After years of instability and every component (literally) being replaced, the last time it croaked I took it out back and kicked it down the stairs. Seriously. It was very cathartic.

A 9500 (http://images1.cdn.fotonauts.com/flickr-413851910-image.jpg) ... you can imagine it made a great sound!

There's a reason I'm a good technician, now. Computers don't mess with me, yo?

Roasted
July 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've been wanting to take the RAM out of a computer while it's turned on and powered up to see what it does.

bodhi.zazen
July 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've been wanting to take the RAM out of a computer while it's turned on and powered up to see what it does.

And with that I am going to close this thread now. We are a support forums not discuss all the ways you can damage your computer or kill yourself forms.

Accessing your computer internals, while the computer is turned on, let alone pulling the RAM, is very hazardous and serious electrical damage to the computer or electrical injury to yourself, including electrical burns and death can be the result.

I just do not see spending staff time moderating this discussion any further.