PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Configuring my Graphics

rigge
July 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone, I know I should have searched for a post and not make a new one. Well, I tried that and got overwhelmed with all the posts and thought this could be simpler (move me somewhere if you find it necessary). Anyway, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on an Acer Aspire 5100 (BL51) which had Vista before. I'm happy with Ubuntu, but I can't get anywhere with Graphics, no visual effects or 3d.

The graphics card is a Mobility Radeon X1300, which is on the ATI's Legacy list thing. My xorg.conf file is pretty much blank. I tried installing the Ati 9.3 driver with --buildpkg and dpkg -i, and got something in xorg.conf, but after rebooting it went to low graphics mode. Now I have the default settings again.

Another problem I've had is that I can't get Flash (for example Youtube) working on Opera.

Thanks alot in advance.

rigge
August 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
Can anyone help me up with this one?

saidinesh5
August 1st, 2009, 12:45 AM
hello buddy,
here,
this might help you with flash...

if you already have flash player installed in mozilla, you can skip most of this though.. you can simply copy/create links to(thats what is done in this tutorial) the corresponding files to the opera's plugin directory... and you are done :)

http://sysblogd.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/opera-flash-and-ubuntu-feisty-fawn-gutsy-gibbon-and-hardy-heron-also/

as far as your ATI card is concerned,
i ll let you kno if i find anything ..

good luck :)

rigge
August 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hello! Thanks for your response, I will try that later when I get back home. :) And yes it does work in Mozilla.

pantera10
August 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
hmmm well inorder to revert back to the settings u had before xorg.conf u can go to the boot menu and select the back up...and voila...back to the same settings...by the way...im pretty sure Update Manager will have the stuff u need

rigge
August 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Yes, but I've already had Ubuntu on this computer for two weeks or so. I've installed all mandatory updates. Other than that I'm not quite catching what youre trying to say.

alexandari
August 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
You can use Envy to install the latest ATI drivers

sudo apt-get install envyng-core

rigge
August 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I already thought that EnvyNG would save me, but instead it also gave me no graphics. Right now feeling a bit hopeless :p

NormanFLinux
August 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
I tried them. The only solution for my ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility chipset was to install open source drivers and change the xorg.conf file to list the ATI driver instead of Vesa. I had to change my screen resolution after fixing the xcong.file but everything looks alright now and desktop effects and compiz now work. YMMV.

rigge
August 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I tried them. The only solution for my ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility chipset was to install open source drivers and change the xorg.conf file to list the ATI driver instead of Vesa. I had to change my screen resolution after fixing the xcong.file but everything looks alright now and desktop effects and compiz now work. YMMV.

Any more newbie-friendly description? :)

rigge
August 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Well, tried what you NormanFLinux said, didn't change anything.

rigge
August 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
So there is indeed no way of fixing these?

rigge
August 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
bump.

rigge
August 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Still no progress.

rigge
August 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Just tell me theres no way to get my graph's working..