PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Location of gnome desktop files?

explainer
July 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I wish to migrate my gnome setup to another system, but I don't know where the shortcut files (created by the "Add to Panel" menu item) are located in the file system, nor what they are called.

I also have the same issue for Terminal profiles that I created. Can anyone point me to them, or some documentation on same?

cariboo
July 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
All the user's configuration files are in you home directory, thet are hidden, to view the files, open Places-->Home Folder and press Ctrl-h.

VCoolio
July 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
starters / launchers are in ~/.local/share/applications.
terminal profiles are in ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles

explainer
July 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM
I found the profiles. The naming of the folders is a bit odd, but whatever. So thanks for that.

The ~/.local/share/applications folder does not contain anything looking like the launchers I have built and installed on my launch bar. The only file in the folder is called mimeapps.list, and contains the following:

[Added Associations]
application/x-ssh-key=gedit.desktop;
application/octet-stream=gedit.desktop;
text/plain=gedit.desktop;emacs22-gtk.desktop;geany.desktop;emacsclient-emacs22.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;
application/x-ruby=gedit.desktop;emacs22-gtk.desktop;geany.desktop;emacsclient-emacs22.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;
application/x-shellscript=geany.desktop;
x-content/blank-cd=brasero-nautilus.desktop;

How does this relate to a launcher configuration, with Type, Name, Command, Comment, and Icon elements?

VCoolio
July 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I thought that was where all launchers were stored. Launchers you put on your gnome-panel are in ~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers.

P.S. the mimeapps.list defines what options you get for opening a file with when you right click it.