PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome Terminal/Firefox integration fail.

Numbski
July 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
So I'm lame. I still use pine from time to time. :P

Url's are automagically underlined in Gnome terminal. Clicking them does nothing. I have Firefox set as my default browser in the gnome config.

So what do I have to do to get these links to launch in firefox when clicked? :)

Simian Man
July 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ctrl-Click them :).

Numbski
July 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Ctrl-Click them :).

Son of a....

Okay. Now that I know what makes it work, is there a way to make it work INTUITIVELY? :) Ie, click and get the expected behavior? (ie, launch the url in the preferred browser?)

decoherence
July 31st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Son of a....

Okay. Now that I know what makes it work, is there a way to make it work INTUITIVELY? :) Ie, click and get the expected behavior? (ie, launch the url in the preferred browser?)

Apparently not...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/296651

As John Hall says; "GNOME developers have perfected the art of ignoring their users." (even though these aren't really gnome developers)

Perhaps you'll change this back in to a bug? Makes sense to me that if you're going to go to the trouble of indicating something is a link, it might as well behave like any other link. Unless someone can come up with a good reason why not (nobody did in the above link... they just refused to acknowledge that it's a bug)

Simian Man
July 31st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I actually like the default behaviour because I copy & paste in the terminal way more than I click on links and it's a pain to try to select a link with the mouse when clicking it follows it.

Ideally there'd be a little popup when you hover over it that says "Ctrl-Click to follow this link" or something.

Numbski
August 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I actually like the default behaviour because I copy & paste in the terminal way more than I click on links and it's a pain to try to select a link with the mouse when clicking it follows it.

Ideally there'd be a little popup when you hover over it that says "Ctrl-Click to follow this link" or something.

Well, at least needs to be a toggle option of some sort. If a seasoned unix administrator gets stuck like this, what is an end user going to do? :\

Numbski
August 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Changed back into a bug. We'll see how long that lasts though...