PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with visual effects

lovejames
July 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hi,

I am a newbie of ubuntu. I am not able to enable visual effects on my desktop. After searching for a few threads about the issue, I have done a Compiz Test. Following is the result.

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
Driver in use: sis
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [FAIL]

There has been (at least) one error detected with your setup:
Error: Software Rasterizer in use
Can somebody help to figure out what is wrong with my system? I didn't understand what "Software Rasterizer in use" means. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ajgreeny
July 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
I think you could well be unlucky with compiz because your video card (sis M650/740) is not very well supported, like most sis cards, I'm afraid. You may have to accept a non compiz desktop.

lovejames
July 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
The other strange thing that I have noticed was the weired display settings. I generally get 1024X768 resolution. But if I boot up the computer without switching on the monitor, it loads 960X600 resolution. I mean, I just switch on the CPU but not the monitor. I have to restart the system by keeping the monitor ON to get the original resolution. I really didn't understand why this is happening. Do I have to necessarily keep the monitor ON every time I switch on the computer?? Or is this also a funny trick played by my poor SIS card??

ajgreeny
July 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM
This is perhaps a result of the new and better(?) xorg in jaunty. There is not much of an xorg.conf file anymore, where all the info about resolution was stored, and the theory is that if you change your monitor it will be detected and the appropriate resolution used. Perhaps your settings are not being rememeberd by the system, and without the monitor the system reverts to a lower res.

lovejames
August 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies greeny. But is there a work-around for these issues??

ajgreeny
August 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM
You may be able to manually edit your config file
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.confand add the resolution you want by adding the information in the following pattern

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 30-80
VertRefresh 50-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSectionI have left out all the text at the top, this is just the config part. Use your own figures, of course, which you ought to be able to find in any manual you have for the monitor, or on the net.

lovejames
August 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Bingo.. it worked. Thanks a lot ajgreeny.

ajgreeny
August 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Great!
Although the xorg.conf is nearly empty on a default install of ubuntu, if there is any config information in it, that is used by the system, and that way you can force ubuntu to use resolutions that are not automatically detected. It can be very useful in situations like yours.

lovejames
August 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Could you also help me with another issue I have with Ubuntu at the following thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1228920

ajgreeny
August 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I have no knowledge of wubi at all, so can't help on this problem.