PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu at work

shiva.n
July 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
How many here use Ubuntu at work...as in Ubuntu is your main platform, and for what?
Do mention if you use some other flavor of Linux too.

I work deep inside the Babylon craporate shitstem, that enforces XP. I however spend most of the time on my SSH terminals.

Sporkman
July 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
I use Ubuntu at work.

lykwydchykyn
July 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I use it at work. I have to keep a VM of XP around for a few things, but I need it only for a few things.

shiva.n
July 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
What is the nature of your work?

I have Windows enforced, even though I do enterprise wide UNIX server releases!

slakkie
July 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I use it at work. I have to keep a VM of XP around for a few things, but I need it only for a few things.

Same here. 2 Ubuntu machines running at work, one laptop and one high tower which acts as a server.

lykwydchykyn
July 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
What is the nature of your work?

I have Windows enforced, even though I do enterprise wide UNIX server releases!

I work for a county government doing IT. My job is part desktop support, part server support, and part development. We're a relatively loose organization, one of those "as long as the work gets done, we don't care how you do it" sort of places.

Since my linux knowledge has paid off in various ways for our department, nobody much minds my breaking of the mold.

tubezninja
July 31st, 2009, 04:21 PM
I regularly use a combination of Ubuntu, and Mac desktops for work. There is one legacy Windows app that I have to use from time to time, but it works great under WINE.

My organization is also one of those "as long as the work gets done" types. It also helps that we deal with a lot of web development, and so cross-platform knowledge is a plus.